Club up for sale again?

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

Club up for sale again?

by windermereROYAL » 03 Aug 2018 09:05

Don`t shoot the messenger, but somebody on facebook is reporting Radio Berks had an article on this morning and they said the owners tried to sell up in January.
Personally I don`t believe a word of it, but I`m going to throw it out there, maybe somebody heard the same report?

Old Man Andrews

Re: Club up for sale again?

by Old Man Andrews » 03 Aug 2018 09:08

Radio Berkshire the hot bed of investigative journalism.

Not sure I am buying this one somehow.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 03 Aug 2018 09:25

cant see them reporting it if it didn't happen.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 03 Aug 2018 09:54

Madejski spent the best part of a decade (probably longer) trying to sell it.

There's only a certain amount of time as an owner before you realise that unless you can secure Premier League football, you're just pissing money down the drain.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 03 Aug 2018 11:24

I wouldn't buy Reading for love nor money.

10 years ago we were a well run club with bags of potential. We're now an underachieving club that's been run shambolically for 6 years.

It's going to need 10 years of stable ownership to sort us out.

ImJappy

by ImJappy » 03 Aug 2018 12:12

There is a difference between putting the club up for sale and attempting to get additional income.
The Chinese are probably actively searching to find more investors to complement....

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 03 Aug 2018 12:26

J Low has no knowledge of this so called story.

IRjAy

by IRjAy » 03 Aug 2018 13:56

The club have been actively searching for another investor. They've been very public about that though.

IRjAy

by IRjAy » 03 Aug 2018 13:57

windermereROYAL J Low has no knowledge.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 03 Aug 2018 14:55

Tim said on BBC Berks that a well placed source within the club told him that the owners looked to sell the club last December. That is all that was said. However if that is true then it would rather suggest that while the current owners are supportive of the club and will back the management, they could suddenly manage to sell up and yet more instability and questions will follow.

Also Royal Elm Park has been approved by the council, however the council are insisting that the housing should be built BEFORE any retail elements so that may well dampen the enthusiasm of the Thais to proceed.

The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

by The Royal Forester » 03 Aug 2018 15:29

Sutekh Tim said on BBC Berks that a well placed source within the club told him that the owners looked to sell the club last December. That is all that was said. However if that is true then it would rather suggest that while the current owners are supportive of the club and will back the management, they could suddenly manage to sell up and yet more instability and questions will follow.

Also Royal Elm Park has been approved by the council, however the council are insisting that the housing should be built BEFORE any retail elements so that may well dampen the enthusiasm of the Thais to proceed.

I think Tim has more contact with "insiders" at the club than other local journalists have, so it could well be true. Would that also explain why the owners are not forking out so much money, this summer. No, I am not knocking the owners, as I think they have put a lot of money into the club, but this summer signings seem well down on value of last years. Mind you that may be because they got their fingers burnt for no promotion before. Couldn't blame them really.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 03 Aug 2018 16:49

The Royal Forester
Sutekh Tim said on BBC Berks that a well placed source within the club told him that the owners looked to sell the club last December. That is all that was said. However if that is true then it would rather suggest that while the current owners are supportive of the club and will back the management, they could suddenly manage to sell up and yet more instability and questions will follow.

I think Tim has more contact with "insiders" at the club than other local journalists have, so it could well be true. Would that also explain why the owners are not forking out so much money, this summer. No, I am not knocking the owners, as I think they have put a lot of money into the club, but this summer signings seem well down on value of last years. Mind you that may be because they got their fingers burnt for no promotion before. Couldn't blame them really.

Agreed. But its a worry that we haven't really strengthened the team that much. Based on last season and our current squad it could easily be a relegation fight again, as tipped by a lot of sources. We really needed a target man for Baldock to play off and another creative midfielder. So far we have probably spent less than £3- £4m. If we get relegated the club will be worth a lot less so the Chinese owners should bear this in mind.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 04 Aug 2018 07:23

WAZZOCK

by WAZZOCK » 04 Aug 2018 08:28

The club is up for sale all the time, that’s the norm for most football clubs.

I think what the ‘sale’ in January relates to is our owners trying to sell off a large (but still minority) stake in the club to one of their pals - it didn’t happen.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 06 Aug 2018 09:41

paddy20
The Royal Forester

Agreed. But its a worry that we haven't really strengthened the team that much. Based on last season and our current squad it could easily be a relegation fight again, as tipped by a lot of sources. We really needed a target man for Baldock to play off and another creative midfielder. So far we have probably spent less than £3- £4m. If we get relegated the club will be worth a lot less so the Chinese owners should bear this in mind.

our entire 2005/06 team cost under 5 million.total.
I know theres been inflation since then, but the lesson remains...its not how expensive a player is, its how good he is, and how well he fits into the team that counts.

last years would have been the biggest spend in our history, and we went backwards.

IRjAy

by IRjAy » 06 Aug 2018 11:17

I haven't got the screenshot as I'm at work, but we're coughing up over £2m a year in loan interest...

One87One

by One87One » 07 Aug 2018 12:36

Good to know this club is in safe hands isn't it... and where are the local press to report on this?

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 07 Aug 2018 13:02

Assuming it's the current owners to whom this interest is owed then aren't they actually going to have to transfer a big chunk of those loans into shareholding or some form of investment in order to comply with FFP?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 07 Aug 2018 13:10

Wasn't the high interest from the Vibrac loan?

Coppells Lost Coat
Hob Nob Regular

by Coppells Lost Coat » 07 Aug 2018 13:11

I am going to assume this interest is on the £60m loan that was lent to us by the Chinese??

However the whole tweet is a little more interesting and shows we are doing good business elsewhere.
https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/ ... 0369556482