Green park station/south Reading station

805 posts
bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Green park station/south Reading station

by bobby1413 » 19 Oct 2015 14:12

Forbury Lion
St Pauli The case for the Reading FC monorail gets stronger...
There's already a tube station at Green Park, admittedly it's a very very very long walk from the station to Green Park.

A tube network around Reading would be great, however vastly expensive & unlikely to every pay for itself. We need a crazy multi billionaire to go all Sim City on the town.

Get some trams maybe,

One line going from Tilehurst into town centre
One going out East, through Cemetry Junction and up to Earley
One going North into Caversham
One going into Whitley

Could hope on the tram at the Nags Head and get off down near the back of beyond on Kings Road

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 19 Oct 2015 17:30

bobby1413
Forbury Lion
There's already a tube station at Green Park, admittedly it's a very very very long walk from the station to Green Park.

A tube network around Reading would be great, however vastly expensive & unlikely to every pay for itself. We need a crazy multi billionaire to go all Sim City on the town.

Get some trams maybe,

One line going from Tilehurst into town centre
One going out East, through Cemetry Junction and up to Earley
One going North into Caversham
One going into Whitley

Could hope on the tram at the Nags Head and get off down near the back of beyond on Kings Road

How about a crossover tram-tube network, the trams could duck underground instead of going up big hills and maybe even ride up on raised platforms in places like a monorail.

Coppelled_Streets

by Coppelled_Streets » 19 Oct 2015 17:50

Or, not wishing to be a damp squib, we could be realistic and admit none of that will happen. It'll all get the go ahead, perhaps after some changes, and travel to and from the stadium will be abysmal.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 20 Oct 2015 13:48

I imagine there will be a few ReadyBike racks installed near the stadium and maybe a quick route to Green Park station built and some disabled spaces.... that will be it, no more driving to/from the stadium.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 20 Oct 2015 14:22

floyd__streete

Having a monorail sure put Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook on the map.

It's really more of a Wokingham idea.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 26 Nov 2015 12:04

Huge delay in Green Park Station - at least in terms of trains being able to stop there. The electrification of the line has been pushed back to somewhere between 2019 and 2024. :o :shock:

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readin ... n-10504284

Reading's plans for Green Park station suffered a massive blow yesterday when Network Rail delayed the electrification of the railway line it sits on.

While work on the main line through Reading is underway, only initial development work on the electrification of the Southcote Junction to Basingstoke branch will be underway before 2019.

The actual installation has been pushed back until what Network Rail call CP6 - sometime between 2019 to 2024 - with the probable start date being a few years into that period given the lengthy list of other projects to be completed first.

Does this mean the end for Green Park station? Tell us in the comments

The delay in electrification means trains will not be able to stop at the station when it opens in 2018 - the date the council hoped electrification work would be completed by - unless a new service is introduced.

Reading council deputy leader Tony Page had been lobbying Network Rail and the Transport Secretary over the electrification project, as had MP Alok Sharma.

The news is also a huge setback for Reading FC's plans to develop Royal Elm Park, with their transport model depending on Green Park to help shuttle fans to and from games.

The announcement was made in the 44-page Hendy Report, published by Network Rail chairman Sir Peter Hendy who had been tasked with looking at a massive overspend on the electrification project across all of Britain's railways.

He said his review had been examining costs and time scales across the railway network, after the initial cost for the work was vastly under-estimated at £11.8 billion and the timescale was also found to be over-optimistic.

They have now secured an extra £2.8 billion for projects that will be finished by 2019, but not for Green Park.

Sir Peter said: "Working closely with the Department for Transport we have ensured that no infrastructure project has been cancelled and the bulk of the investment programme will be delivered by March 2019.

"Some projects will cost more and take longer than originally expected but we will see the job through to deliver better journeys for passengers."

An eight-week consultation by the Department for Transport on the report will start in December, which will offer the opportunity for the Green Park station case to be made again.

Surely the thais will kick up a stink about this as I'm sure the transport links are an integral part of their overall vision for the development around the hallowed Madejski Stadium?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Nov 2015 18:22

i don't think it's really an huge issue. While a rail link might be 'integral' in that it's part of the plan, I don't think it was ever a significant part. I think it's been well discussed that a couple of trains an hour were never going to carry many fans to games.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 27 Nov 2015 20:19

I can only assume I'm being a bit dim somewhere, but how does the delay to electrification delay Green Park station?

Why wouldn't the current trains be able to stop there?

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 27 Nov 2015 20:29

tmesis I can only assume I'm being a bit dim somewhere, but how does the delay to electrification delay Green Park station?

Why wouldn't the current trains be able to stop there?

I think It's something to do with the lack of acceleration of existing diesel stock stopping at Green Park that would therefore delay north-south cross country expresses. Green Park is too close to Reading West so delaying expresses? Quite where they would be with the old "thumpers" cannot be contemplated!

Of course, the football specials could just not stop at Reading West and if so there would be no net increase in overall journey time from Reading to Basingstoke. Alternatively, have alternate trains on the Reading - Basingstoke line stopping at Green park and Reading West. Don't ever expect a public body like Network Rail to think laterally though!

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 27 Nov 2015 20:48

Some elegant hinting there Strap ! Email the club, I bet no one has just gone for the simple but effective solution.
Ever thought of running the country ? Strikes me you might have a few ideas the numpties in Westminster might not have even considered !!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Nov 2015 09:58

Nameless Some elegant hinting there Strap ! Email the club, I bet no one has just gone for the simple but effective solution.
Ever thought of running the country ? Strikes me you might have a few ideas the numpties in Westminster might not have even considered !!

:lol:

Having worked for a public body, i can confirm that the type of lateral thinking we were berated for not having by joe public including not solving water scarcity by damning the Thames and preventing all that fresh water flowing out to sea.

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 28 Nov 2015 11:47

Perhaps damming the Thames would have been more effective than damning it?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Dec 2015 16:28

Upper West Ginger Perhaps damming the Thames would have been more effective than damning it?

:? :oops:

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 29 Jan 2016 11:17

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35432687

More evidence that my Heathrow Pods idea is a goer

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 25 Feb 2016 13:03

Will the fact that Reading is now officially on the tube map affect this at all?

http://www.cityam.com/235271/how-london ... to-reading

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 25 Feb 2016 13:20

Norfolk Royal Will the fact that Reading is now officially on the tube map affect this at all?

http://www.cityam.com/235271/how-london ... to-reading

So near yet so far, the "To Reading" bit is reminiscent of the To Southend bit on the East end of the district line in the 1930s (or indeed to Aylesbury on the Met Line)

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 25 Feb 2016 13:30

What sort of time would it take to get from Reading -> Bond Street?

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 25 Feb 2016 13:54

bobby1413 What sort of time would it take to get from Reading -> Bond Street?

Around 50 minutes I believe

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 25 Feb 2016 16:50

I don't share Green's rather world weary pessimism about this. Not surprisingly really as Norwich based Royals fans (pop 1) can now hop onto Crossrail at Liverpool St and be in Reading in a mere trice.

I think it's quite a big deal being on the tube map, albeit as Green says, but surely in his example the district line didn't actually go to Southend in any case, whereas Crossrail, or the Elizabeth Line as it is called, does go to Reading which is a different ballpark.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 25 Feb 2016 17:02

I have long used this argument to consider Watford a London club...

805 posts