Reading season-ticket prices set to be slashed

159 posts
TFF
Hob Nob Addict

Reading season-ticket prices set to be slashed

by TFF » 14 Apr 2010 15:26

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... be_slashed

Reading season-ticket holders could be offered reduced rates when they renew their seats.

The Reading Post understands that Madejski Stadium chiefs are planning to reward loyal Royals for the 2010/11 season.

The details are still to be finalised, but the news will be welcomed by many fans who have become disillusioned with year-on-year increases.

After a dismal 2009, things are finally looking up in 2010 and last night a crowd of 23,163, the biggest for a league game at Madejski Stadium this season, saw Royals lose 2-1 to Newcastle United.

Any plans to release details on prices have been put on hold while the club has been clinging to an outside chance of gate-crashing the play-offs.

Last year just over 11,000 fans snapped up season tickets after Royals’ failed promotion push. But with Brian McDermott now in charge and the side winning, it is anticipated that figure will rise.

I bloody well hope so. Free Lindt bunny too please.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Reading season-ticket prices set to be slashed

by SpaceCruiser » 14 Apr 2010 15:32

And no doubt to offset the loss, the normal matchday ticket will cost more.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 14 Apr 2010 16:09

That Friday Feeling http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/readingfc/s/2069348_reading_seasonticket_prices_set_to_be_slashed

Reading season-ticket holders could be offered reduced rates when they renew their seats.

The Reading Post understands that Madejski Stadium chiefs are planning to reward loyal Royals for the 2010/11 season.

The details are still to be finalised, but the news will be welcomed by many fans who have become disillusioned with year-on-year increases.

After a dismal 2009, things are finally looking up in 2010 and last night a crowd of 23,163, the biggest for a league game at Madejski Stadium this season, saw Royals lose 2-1 to Newcastle United.

Any plans to release details on prices have been put on hold while the club has been clinging to an outside chance of gate-crashing the play-offs.

Last year just over 11,000 fans snapped up season tickets after Royals’ failed promotion push. But with Brian McDermott now in charge and the side winning, it is anticipated that figure will rise.

I bloody well hope so. Free Lindt bunny too please.

Good to see GetReading catching up with HNA where this news was mentioned a good couple of weeks ago....

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 14 Apr 2010 16:15

That Friday Feeling The details are still to be finalised, but the news will be welcomed by many fans who have become disillusioned with year-on-year increases.

:?: This year's ST was was cheaper than last wasn't it? And apart from the prem years my ST didn't go up for quite a few years. Still always good to see the E-Po researching their piece!

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 14 Apr 2010 16:17

Slashed or reduced? Nothing quite like making a headline fit the story.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 14 Apr 2010 16:17

Sun Tzu Good to see GetReading catching up with HNA where this news was mentioned a good couple of weeks ago....

Was it? I don't recall any more than a vague ITK post about creative pricing - though tbf the EP aren't coming up with anything more substantial.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 14 Apr 2010 17:26

Terminal Boardom Slashed or reduced? Nothing quite like making a headline fit the story.

You can slash and miss.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 14 Apr 2010 17:49

That Friday Feeling
Sun Tzu Good to see GetReading catching up with HNA where this news was mentioned a good couple of weeks ago....

Was it? I don't recall any more than a vague ITK post about creative pricing - though tbf the EP aren't coming up with anything more substantial.

Sorry, forgot HNA'ers need be have a sharp stick poked in their eye before they notice anything....

I thought 2-0 was pretty clear on his 'inside news' post on this one....

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 14 Apr 2010 17:53

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 14 Apr 2010 18:20

SpaceCruiser And no doubt to offset the loss, the normal matchday ticket will cost more.

Doesn't bother me.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 14 Apr 2010 19:32

In any case, I am not renewing my ST next year. Instead, I will cherry pick a few games here and there.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 14 Apr 2010 20:37

Terminal Boardom In any case, I am not renewing my ST next year. Instead, I will cherry pick a few games here and there.

Good luck.

Seems a very stange approach for anyone with a real level of interest.

Will you cherry pick with the benefit of hindsight because knowing in advance which games are going to be good is a very difficult exercise....

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 14 Apr 2010 20:50

Not one league game has sold out this season,good luck to those who don't renew and pick on a game by game basis

Magnus

by Magnus » 15 Apr 2010 09:31

Sun Tzu
Terminal Boardom In any case, I am not renewing my ST next year. Instead, I will cherry pick a few games here and there.

Good luck.

Will you cherry pick with the benefit of hindsight because knowing in advance which games are going to be good is a very difficult exercise....

You have to plan to go to every single game to have a real level of interest?

Yes, how dare people have things outside of RFC in their lives!

under the tin

by under the tin » 15 Apr 2010 14:18

My feeling about RFC's attitude towards retaining and developing the fanbase is encapsulated in a lot of my old school reports: C+ could do better.

In any business, it is good to monitor and learn from the experiences of your competitors.

I think Charlton Athletic could be considered an appropriate "peer club" for us.
In the seventies, when I started attending at Elm Park, Charlton were about our level, pulling in around 6-8000 weekly. (not exact parity, but near enough)
I've researched this, and by 1984, their average attendance had dropped to 5104, and they realised that they had to do something to get bums on seats.
In 1989/90, they were the second worst supported side in the first division, with gates from as low as 5000, to a high of 10798.
The "Target 10,000" initiative was launched in 94/5, to get the average up to that figure, and things like "kids for a quid" were for nearly all fixtures, and not just cherry picked games against banal opposition. The club introduced free travel from outlying areas, Maidstone complained to the league, IIRC.
In 98/99, the momentum was maintained with the "Target 20,000" initiative. They did not sit on their laurels, because in April 2007, this appeared in the local press there:
"The Charlton board has decided that fans who buy their 2007/08 season tickets on or before April 30th will, if the club is relegated at the end of this season, get a Premiership season ticket for the same seat for the 2008/09 campaign absolutely free if the club then gains promotion at the first attempt."
You have got to give that club some credit for effort, eh?
I'm no closet Addick, but the legacy of all that effort, year on year, is a club that despite being in a league below us has a higher average attendance. Does anybody on here think that we would average 17000-odd next season had we been relegated?
I recall Charlton supplying free coach travel for nearly 6000 at a crucial away game some years back. So did Pompey at Selhurst, and 10,000 travelled. Wigan did the same thing in the P/O semi against us.
I know that it didn't necessarily affect the outcome of the matches concerned, but at the very least, it was a tangible recognition by the clubs of the role that supporters have to play.
That, in my view, is good PR.
JM calling for fans to "rally round the flag" each season is all we seem to get. Clubs like Charlton are playing the long game and working at it. When the last phase of redevelopment is completed at the Valley, they will have a bigger stadium than the Essex national side, West Ham.

Magnus

by Magnus » 15 Apr 2010 15:52

Charlton are a London club though which must impact fan base, sponsorship, investment potential & attracting players, particuarly from overseas.

I would cite Ipswich, Gillingham or even Brighton as better examples.

Now if Reading were to be made a city...

under the tin

by under the tin » 15 Apr 2010 17:10

So are Brentford and Leyton Orient.
It is not meant to be a direct comparison between the two clubs, although I will say that we're closer to the Charltons of this world than Spurs or Gillingham!

I was just trying to highlight how hard Charlton have worked to move the attendances in the right direction. They just seem more committed to doing this with tangible actions that appeal to their fans.

We get a chocolate bunny. :|

I can also report that there is absolutely no comparison between us and Brighton.
Sources in Sussex report that they are officially the biggest football club in the galaxy :wink:

Magnus

by Magnus » 15 Apr 2010 17:37

And Fulham. And Dulwich Hamlet. We could go on.

Fair fvcks though, sounds like Charlton know what they're doing. But I think a lot of those schemes couldn't be repeated at Reading for fear of upsetting the season ticket holders who perceive others getting something for nothing - see other threads on this board.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 15 Apr 2010 21:16

Magnus
Sun Tzu

Good luck.

You have to plan to go to every single game to have a real level of interest?

Yes, how dare people have things outside of RFC in their lives!

Bizarre response...

It was the idea of 'cherry picking' that made me laugh.

I can;t make every game, I work odd shifts and have other commtments as well. But i go to the games i can get to. I don;t sit back and pick off 3 or 4 that seem especially attractive.

i think it's fair enough to suggest that someone who openly admits they will just pick the big games may not have quite the interest level of the regulars.

Unless we're going to get all PC and decide we're all utterly equal whether we bother to go to games or not....

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 15 Apr 2010 21:22

Charlton have always seemed very good at marketing.

However a couple of thoughts

1. They are a huge club historically, crowds of 40-50,000. That means there is a massive legacy of people who have Charlton intheir blood and in their family. Those people stopped going (moved out to Kent) but still had a link. Charlton did stuff like bus people in from the Medway towns (and really annoyed Gillingham !) but the point remains that unlike us they have a huge fanbase that just needed reconnecting to the club

2. The whole saga of losing and regaining the Valley probably helped. Similar to our Maxwell saga, pulled people together in a cause, generated publicity etc . I don;t think we saw much benefit in terms of crowds from Maxwell nor were we really in a position to grow at EP.

I agree though that using some of th emethods that have worked elsewhere would be good. Andthat doesn;t have to be at the expense of the long term STH.

159 posts