England - the future....

850 posts
User avatar
Sutekh
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5625
Joined: 12 Feb 2014 15:05
Location: Destroying things.... just like Michael Gilkes used to

Re: England - the future....

by Sutekh » 14 Nov 2017 22:25

All credit to Southgate to get a largely inexperienced England so well organised, keep Brazil quiet and still produce a couple of good chances though it would likely have been different if there was anything of note riding on the result.

Just perhaps there is a glimmer of hope that the finals might not be quite so dreadful for England after all. QFs with a bit of luck and some wind behind them?

User avatar
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 20090
Joined: 13 Apr 2004 23:22
Location: The handsome bald fella with the blue eyes

Re: England - the future....

by Royal Rother » 14 Nov 2017 22:38

2 hugely promising performances from a group of young Englanders.

+ Wilshere and we could really be on to something.

User avatar
bcubed
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3024
Joined: 30 Oct 2004 18:16
Location: Would do better with a stick of rhubarb

Re: England - the future....

by bcubed » 15 Nov 2017 00:08

Sutekh wrote:All credit to Southgate to get a largely inexperienced England so well organised, keep Brazil quiet and still produce a couple of good chances though it would likely have been different if there was anything of note riding on the result.

Just perhaps there is a glimmer of hope that the finals might not be quite so dreadful for England after all. QFs with a bit of luck and some wind behind them?


Forget that

We're going to win it!!

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3905
Joined: 23 Nov 2005 01:55

Re: England - the future....

by Jackson Corner » 15 Nov 2017 02:49

Here we go it's a new dawn. We will be home before the plane turns round.

User avatar
Sutekh
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 5625
Joined: 12 Feb 2014 15:05
Location: Destroying things.... just like Michael Gilkes used to

Re: England - the future....

by Sutekh » 15 Nov 2017 09:56

We can be bright and cheerful now until the Finals draw pitches England with Brazil or Germany and the likes of Sweden, Iceland or Denmark and Morocco or Serbia.


User avatar
PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 6607
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 15:42
Location: Comfortably numb

Re: England - the future....

by PieEater » 15 Nov 2017 10:24

I thought the ref was dreadful, one of those who's forgotten it's a contact sport. He just seemed to want to watch Brazil play.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Addict
Posts: 9992
Joined: 27 Feb 2013 15:36

Re: England - the future....

by Sanguine » 15 Nov 2017 10:37

Sutekh wrote:All credit to Southgate to get a largely inexperienced England so well organised, keep Brazil quiet and still produce a couple of good chances though it would likely have been different if there was anything of note riding on the result.

Just perhaps there is a glimmer of hope that the finals might not be quite so dreadful for England after all. QFs with a bit of luck and some wind behind them?


Completely agreed - it is being overlooked in some sections of the media (despite them extensively trailing the same before the games) that this was as young an England side as we have fielded in a generation. And the two standout performers, Loftus-Cheek and Gomez, have barely 20 Premier League starts between them. Very encouraging - what for me is now key is that Southgate has these performances, and subsequent Premier League form, in the back of his mind in March for the friendlies with Holland and Italy. I trust he will, for his great week will be a waste if we line-up with Cahill, Smalling and Henderson in Russia, for no real reason but experience.

User avatar
bcubed
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3024
Joined: 30 Oct 2004 18:16
Location: Would do better with a stick of rhubarb

Re: England - the future....

by bcubed » 15 Nov 2017 11:38

PieEater wrote:I thought the ref was dreadful, one of those who's forgotten it's a contact sport. He just seemed to want to watch Brazil play.


The perfect ref for Brazil

Contact
Fall over
Free kick

And repeat

User avatar
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Posts: 10079
Joined: 14 Apr 2004 12:42
Location: Propping up the bar in the Nags

Re: England - the future....

by Stranded » 16 Nov 2017 09:57

Daily Mail website (I know) has "revealed" Southgate's plan for the WC and his preferred formation and XI

Hart

Walker (as wing back)
Stones
Dier
Jones
Rose (as wing back)

Lallana
Henderson
Winks

Ali

Kane

So a 3-2-3-1-1 formation of sorts.


User avatar
bcubed
Hob Nob Regular
Posts: 3024
Joined: 30 Oct 2004 18:16
Location: Would do better with a stick of rhubarb

Re: England - the future....

by bcubed » 16 Nov 2017 23:58

Stranded wrote:Daily Mail website (I know) has "revealed" Southgate's plan for the WC and his preferred formation and XI

Hart

Walker (as wing back)
Stones
Dier
Jones
Rose (as wing back)

Lallana
Henderson
Winks

Ali

Kane

So a 3-2-3-1-1 formation of sorts.



That would be ok I guess but no Hart or Henderson please

I also think Lingard looks excellent each time he has come on for England but perhaps not seen as a starter

850 posts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests

It is currently 24 Nov 2017 15:13