England - the future....

868 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: England - the future....

by Hoop Blah » 02 Jan 2018 13:11

bcubed wrote:Out of interest why don't you like him?

He just seems to typify a lot of things I don't like about modern footballers and for a long time I've thought he looks like he rates himself far too highly.

One incident that turned me off him was when he was playing for England against Slovenia and piled in to back up Rashford and sparked a bit of a pushing match. He kept going back for more despite being pulled back by senior players and he made more of it than needed. He could easily have cost England and was warned as such publicly by Southgate.

The next day he went on social media saying how he'd always have Rashfords back.

He just strikes me as a bit of a twat.

bcubed
Hob Nob Regular

by bcubed » 02 Jan 2018 14:20

Hoop Blah wrote:
bcubed wrote:Out of interest why don't you like him?

He just seems to typify a lot of things I don't like about modern footballers and for a long time I've thought he looks like he rates himself far too highly.

One incident that turned me off him was when he was playing for England against Slovenia and piled in to back up Rashford and sparked a bit of a pushing match. He kept going back for more despite being pulled back by senior players and he made more of it than needed. He could easily have cost England and was warned as such publicly by Southgate.

The next day he went on social media saying how he'd always have Rashfords back.

He just strikes me as a bit of a twat.

You could be right but if being a twat is a reason for non selection, we could be struggling to find a squad!

Personally I think he's always made an impact when playing for England and right now no one is in better form.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Jan 2018 15:16

bcubed wrote:You could be right but if being a twat is a reason for non selection, we could be struggling to find a squad!

True! Although, to be fair, I think the current crop seem a pretty decent bunch of honest lads. Maybe a few, like Sterling, Alli and Wilshire, haven't covered themselves in glory at times but the core of the group (Kane, Rashford, Henderson, Dier, Stones, Lallana etc) don't wind me up.

bcubed wrote:Personally I think he's always made an impact when playing for England and right now no one is in better form.

Yeah, I wouldn't argue against that. As a goalscoring midfielder he's in a great run of form.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Jan 2018 09:19

Hoop Blah wrote:
bcubed wrote:...right now no one is in better form.

Yeah, I wouldn't argue against that. As a goalscoring midfielder he's in a great run of form.

On reflection, Raheem Sterling might have something to say about no one being in better form.

bcubed
Hob Nob Regular

by bcubed » 09 Jan 2018 21:53

I'm sure Stones will start in the World Cup but my worries about him were apparent this evening
He was beaten for pace by Reid from Bristol City and slid across him to concede a horrible penalty

If Reid can make him look silly what chance is there against quality internationals?!

double d
Hob Nob Addict

by double d » 09 Jan 2018 22:18

bcubed wrote:I'm sure Stones will start in the World Cup but my worries about him were apparent this evening
He was beaten for pace by Reid from Bristol City and slid across him to concede a horrible penalty

If Reid can make him look silly what chance is there against quality internationals?!

Our defence will always be a liability in big tourneys

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Jan 2018 23:25

bcubed wrote:I'm sure Stones will start in the World Cup but my worries about him were apparent this evening

He's been a lot better this year from the little I've seen for City but he's probably always going to have a mistake in him to some extent or other (as do all players tbf).

I wouldn't worry too much about a mistake tonight though. He's been out for quite a while and possibly wasn't the most focused for tonight too. Judge him more on the big games against the better players when it means more and he's fully match sharp (as he hopefully should be at the World Cup).

bcubed
Hob Nob Regular

by bcubed » 15 Jan 2018 15:34

Hoop Blah wrote:

He's been a lot better this year from the little I've seen for City but he's probably always going to have a mistake in him to some extent or other (as do all players tbf).

I wouldn't worry too much about a mistake tonight though. He's been out for quite a while and possibly wasn't the most focused for tonight too. Judge him more on the big games against the better players when it means more and he's fully match sharp (as he hopefully should be at the World Cup).

I hope you're right and he may not be up to full fitness yet, but next big game v City he let Firmino in and was easily out muscled

868 posts