Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: England - the future....

by Royal Rother » 17 May 2018 14:48

Hoop Blah
Royal Rother
Hoop Blah
He played the last two games there and excelled. It shouldn’t be too much of a surprise to someone willing to lambast the manager for his selections really...

Quite the opposite I’d have thought.

Well not really, IMO.

I'd expect someone (discounting the brain dead trolls etc) to make such a comment with at least a little bit of knowledge of the subject. Basically, anyone with enough interest to be driven to comment on it being laughable etc surely would've at least read a match report, teamsheet or the subsequent debate from those two games. Walkers switch to centre half was probably the main talking point of those friendlies.

Are you OCD?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 May 2018 13:45

Royal Rother Are you OCD?

I guess I must be!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 18 May 2018 16:06

:D

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 21 May 2018 11:54

You still pushing for Wilshere’s inclusion, RR?

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 21 May 2018 16:04

stealthpapes England U-17 2 1 Italy U-17.

Almost 8000 in a sun drenched Bescott watched a stereotypical game of two halves. With none of the players that won the U-17 world cup, England struggled for the first half. Italy looked more composed, more cynical and played with much more nous.

Second half, though, was great fun from an England point of view. Appiah's goal was very well taken, they created at least three or four absolutely golden chances and ran out deserved winners. Two other players I noted - right back, Crowe, very composed and striker/attacking mid, Duncan, combative.

More pressing to the thread title, England got to the semis of this tournament and were beaten on penalties. Italy made it all the way to the final but were abject in their penalties. Netherlands won.

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 21 May 2018 16:22

stealthpapes
stealthpapes England U-17 2 1 Italy U-17.

Almost 8000 in a sun drenched Bescott watched a stereotypical game of two halves. With none of the players that won the U-17 world cup, England struggled for the first half. Italy looked more composed, more cynical and played with much more nous.

Second half, though, was great fun from an England point of view. Appiah's goal was very well taken, they created at least three or four absolutely golden chances and ran out deserved winners. Two other players I noted - right back, Crowe, very composed and striker/attacking mid, Duncan, combative.

More pressing to the thread title, England got to the semis of this tournament and were beaten on penalties. Italy made it all the way to the final but were abject in their penalties. Netherlands won.

Looks like they are teaching them well from a young age then etc etc

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Aug 2018 12:07

Southgate will be naming his first post-World Cup squad on Thursday I believe.

Interesting to see how much he changes things and if he continues to bring in even more youth with the likes of Foden and Sessegnon being touted both before and after the WC. I don't think either have done enough just yet, but it wouldn't surprise me.

There's a few more established players who could be knocking on the door though. The likes of Barkley, Sturridge, Lallana and even Hart may have a case for inclusion, plus I'd expect Gomez to come straight back in and maybe even Luke Shaw.

Your Cahills, Welbecks, Delphs and Jones' might find there's no romantic lap of honour round Wembley for them.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 28 Aug 2018 13:23

I too expect Gomez to come back in, he's been excellent in his preferred central role so far this season for Liverpool. Will be interesting if he keeps his place once 'the best defender in the world', Dejan Lovren, is fit.

The squad won't include Jamie Vardy though - Vardy has all but retired from international football, agreeing with Southgate to be available 'only if there is a huge injury crisis', citing his age and lack of game time as reason not to be considered for the squad. Can understand to a degree - he's not likely to start any games, and at 32 and with a young family I can see why he doesn't want to be away from them so he can sit on a bench in Latvia, or wherever.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Aug 2018 14:33

Would say that "only if there is a huge injury crisis" for England would amount to Kane being injured as who is there after that? I don't see Sterling as someone who would score goals for England let alone lead the line so to speak. Still think the next best option is a fit Sturridge but are there any strikers coming through that might take up the mantle or at least be able to provide options.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Aug 2018 16:36

Sutekh Would say that "only if there is a huge injury crisis" for England would amount to Kane being injured as who is there after that? I don't see Sterling as someone who would score goals for England let alone lead the line so to speak. Still think the next best option is a fit Sturridge but are there any strikers coming through that might take up the mantle or at least be able to provide options.

Agreed that it's only really Kane that's stopping Vardy from getting a proper run in the side, although as good as Sturridge can be, he isn't one I'd trust to lead the line these days.

Rashford is presumably the next option through the middle though isn't he? Or Tammy Abraham!

Gary Cahill has followed Vardy too, so he won't be around either.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 29 Aug 2018 15:33

Re: Cahil and Vardy.

To me it looks like further evidence of Southgate and his impressive influence on the English international set up. Seeing mature decisions coming from those players that are undeniably good but not world class visibily step aside should encourage the next crop of players. Additionally that these players are of an age now where their impact will be even less in the next round of major tournaments than this year.

I hope the next crop of young talent get enough balance of exposure to top quality players and game time. I'm looking at Hudson and RLC within the Chelsea set up and Foden at City.

I'd put Drinkwater in the Cahil category here, but surprising that he doesn't try his hand at playing outside of England.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 30 Aug 2018 11:18

Tails Re: Cahil and Vardy.

To me it looks like further evidence of Southgate and his impressive influence on the English international set up. Seeing mature decisions coming from those players that are undeniably good but not world class visibily step aside should encourage the next crop of players. Additionally that these players are of an age now where their impact will be even less in the next round of major tournaments than this year.

In the same vain, not yet confirmed, but it's said that Ashley Young 'fully understands' Southgate's decision to recall Luke Shaw to the squad at his expense for these next two games.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Aug 2018 14:38

No real surprises in the squad then. Pretty much as you were from the summer with a few recalls replaceing retired or injured players.

Alex McCarthy called back in due to the injury to Pope. Sure he'll be hopeful of at least a half against Switzerland.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Aug 2018 16:28

Stranded No real surprises in the squad then. Pretty much as you were from the summer with a few recalls replaceing retired or injured players.

Alex McCarthy called back in due to the injury to Pope. Sure he'll be hopeful of at least a half against Switzerland.

For the record the squad is

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Stoke), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Alex McCarthy (Southampton)

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Harry Maguire (Leicester City) Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), James Tarkowski (Burnley), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea)

Forwards: Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal)

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 30 Aug 2018 20:48

Sutekh
Stranded No real surprises in the squad then. Pretty much as you were from the summer with a few recalls replaceing retired or injured players.

For the record the squad is

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Stoke), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Alex McCarthy (Southampton)

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Harry Maguire (Leicester City) Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), James Tarkowski (Burnley), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea)

Forwards: Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal)

As a Welshman looking in I can only applaud that squad. Predominantly a young squad which I think is absolutely the right way to go. I cannot believe that Shaw is still only 23.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Sep 2018 17:33

Apparently Gareth Southgate was at the Derby v Blackburn game last night. Wonder if there might be a surprise in the next England squad - Mason Mount perhaps?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Sep 2018 09:34

Sutekh Apparently Gareth Southgate was at the Derby v Blackburn game last night. Wonder if there might be a surprise in the next England squad - Mason Mount perhaps?

I doubt it, it's still a bit early for that. I'm sure Southgate is keeping tabs on a lot of the younger players coming through.

One thing I often get irritated by is the talk of how few players are getting minutes in the Premier League and how that's reducing the pool of talent etc etc (which is still valid) but it totally overlooks the number of good young English players in the Championship. They're regularly playing against International players and playing at a higher standard than a lot of other European Internationals.

You only have to look at the current squad to see how many developed by playing in the Championship (or lower) or look at the Wales team at the Euro's who still had Championship regulars in their side.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 21 Sep 2018 12:24

I don't think we should understate the gap in quality between the Championship and even mid-table Premier League, nevermind international football. It is Premier League minutes that our players need.
It's good that Southgate is keeping tabs on the likes of Mount, but I'd be very surprised if he got a call up, short of firing Derby to promotion.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Sep 2018 14:37

Sanguine I don't think we should understate the gap in quality between the Championship and even mid-table Premier League, nevermind international football. It is Premier League minutes that our players need.
It's good that Southgate is keeping tabs on the likes of Mount, but I'd be very surprised if he got a call up, short of firing Derby to promotion.

The gap between the Premier League and the Championship may well be big but the Championship is still a good place for young players to develop and learn.

I'm not suggesting Southgate can find finished articles and players to improve on his squad by dipping into the Championship, just that Premier League minutes is not the be all and end all for the English talent pool.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 22 Sep 2018 07:52

I think the rise of good young players going to the German Leagues and playing well in first teams will only help our team in the future.

3567 posts