England - the future....

3567 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: England - the future....

by Sutekh » 16 Oct 2018 14:37

bcubed Great work from Southgate and the team. An amazing result to win in Spain

A word on Pickford though.
2 of our goals came from his well placed kicks but ...
What was the dive before any shot came in? Somehow he ended up saving the shot that followed!
And the needless corner?
And the dithering that led to a penalty claim and nearly led to a goal?!
Quite the mixed bag.
It all worked out today but anyone else think he's a bit too erratic?

Sorry to say that England are in a bit of an Reading state with their keepers. All can do a job but there isn't anyone who stands out as being head and shoulders above the rest.

The good thing about though it is they're all young so can only get better and hopefully one of them will ultimately become another Shilton, Clemence or Seaman

Nice to see England resorting to good old fashioned route one football as well.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 16 Oct 2018 14:47

Sutekh
bcubed Great work from Southgate and the team. An amazing result to win in Spain

What was the dive before any shot came in? Somehow he ended up saving the shot that followed!
And the needless corner?
Quite the mixed bag.

Sorry to say that England are in a bit of an Reading state with their keepers. All can do a job but there isn't anyone who stands out as being head and shoulders above the rest.

The good thing about though it is they're all young so can only get better and hopefully one of them will ultimately become another Shilton, Clemence or Seaman

You genuinely don't see Pickford as head and shoulders above the rest? Thought it was a universally accepted thing.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Oct 2018 15:02

Old Man Andrews
Sutekh

And the needless corner?
Quite the mixed bag.

You genuinely don't see Pickford as head and shoulders above the rest? Thought it was a universally accepted thing.

Would agree that he is the best of the group available though but I'm just not quite convinced he's the final answer at the moment.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 16 Oct 2018 15:48

Pepe the Horseman
Old Man Andrews
Hoop Blah
I think special mention should be made for Kane too. He's not looked his best for a while but last night, without scoring, he looked much better and was involved a lot more. Whether that's because of tactical changes or things just went for him I don't know, but it was good to see him involved and lot more and looking more dynamic with it.

It has rightfully largely gone unnoticed given the scoreline and overall performance but did you see Harry Kane send the Spanish full back flying in stoppage time when the ball went out for a throw in? We need that sort of aggression and will to win, we have been missing that for many years now. Not only are we playing attractive football our players and most importantly our captain showed that you will not try to f*ck with us. Love it.

Yeh, good on Nacho for taking it like a man as well. Also thoroughly enjoyed the two crunching tackles from Maguire and Dier.

Delighted for Sterling and Rashford to get on the scoresheet, after taking a bit (or a lot in Sterling's case) of criticism recently. Was also really impressed with Chilwell.

Here's one in tapestry format

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Oct 2018 16:01

Sutekh
Old Man Andrews You genuinely don't see Pickford as head and shoulders above the rest? Thought it was a universally accepted thing.

Would agree that he is the best of the group available though but I'm just not quite convinced he's the final answer at the moment.

What we need is some kind of goalkeeping expert on HNA? that can tell us for certain who is and who isn't the best.

For what it's worth, my opinion is that Pickford isn't much different to Butland in most regards (I'd generally have had Butland ahead of Pickford in goalkeeping terms, shot stopping, command of his area etc) and there was a lot of debate approaching the World Cup as to which of the two would be number 1.

Pickford got the nod largely because of his ability with the ball at his feet (something he is definitely better than Butland at) and he proved how effective that can be for the team by contributing to two of the goals. That makes him Southgate's number one for now but the manager has already shown he isn't afraid to change things if he thinks they need changing.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 16 Oct 2018 16:39

stealthpapes
Pepe the Horseman
Old Man Andrews
It has rightfully largely gone unnoticed given the scoreline and overall performance but did you see Harry Kane send the Spanish full back flying in stoppage time when the ball went out for a throw in? We need that sort of aggression and will to win, we have been missing that for many years now. Not only are we playing attractive football our players and most importantly our captain showed that you will not try to f*ck with us. Love it.

Yeh, good on Nacho for taking it like a man as well. Also thoroughly enjoyed the two crunching tackles from Maguire and Dier.

Delighted for Sterling and Rashford to get on the scoresheet, after taking a bit (or a lot in Sterling's case) of criticism recently. Was also really impressed with Chilwell.

Here's one in tapestry format

Lovely.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 16 Oct 2018 16:48

Hoop Blah
Sutekh
Old Man Andrews You genuinely don't see Pickford as head and shoulders above the rest? Thought it was a universally accepted thing.

What we need is some kind of goalkeeping expert on HNA? that can tell us for certain who is and who isn't the best.

For what it's worth, my opinion is that Pickford isn't much different to Butland in most regards (I'd generally have had Butland ahead of Pickford in goalkeeping terms, shot stopping, command of his area etc) and there was a lot of debate approaching the World Cup as to which of the two would be number 1.

Pickford got the nod largely because of his ability with the ball at his feet (something he is definitely better than Butland at) and he proved how effective that can be for the team by contributing to two of the goals. That makes him Southgate's number one for now but the manager has already shown he isn't afraid to change things if he thinks they need changing.

Yes I'm here for you.

Pickford is the best all round goalkeeper we have yes.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 16 Oct 2018 17:38

Old Man Andrews
Hoop Blah
Sutekh

Yes I'm here for you.

Sorted!

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 16 Oct 2018 19:27

bcubed
Old Man Andrews
Hoop Blah

Yes I'm here for you.

Sorted!

Welcome m8.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 17 Oct 2018 12:33

The best bit about our resident goalkeeping expert is the total lack of any technical goalkeeping explanations in his post history.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 17 Oct 2018 15:56

Offer withdrawn for sale of Wembley.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Nov 2018 14:50

If reports are true we could see Rooney back in an England shirt for a bit of a farewell appearance against USA.

Not sure I agree with it to be honest.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Nov 2018 10:33

Hoop Blah If reports are true we could see Rooney back in an England shirt for a bit of a farewell appearance against USA.

Not sure I agree with it to be honest.

I think it cheapens the fixture if I am honest, turns it into a bit of a testimonial. Can't argue with Rooney's record for England or anything like that but if you want to honour him then have him lead out the teams before the game or something, he shouldn't be on the pitch ahead of any of our young up and comers. Bit wrong.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 05 Nov 2018 20:20

Just as i predicted Sergio Rico has come in for Bettinelli....... I know what I'm talking about, an expert on the subject.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 06 Nov 2018 07:44

Old Man Andrews Just as i predicted Sergio Rico has come in for Bettinelli....... I know what I'm talking about, an expert on the subject.

Fair play. You do seem to know a lot. Have you ever worked within the game or with players?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Nov 2018 08:03

Kulshaw72RFC
Old Man Andrews Just as i predicted Sergio Rico has come in for Bettinelli....... I know what I'm talking about, an expert on the subject.

Fair play. You do seem to know a lot. Have you ever worked within the game or with players?

25 years as a keeper in my playing days and 7 years as a coach since I stopped playing.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 06 Nov 2018 08:10

Old Man Andrews
Kulshaw72RFC

25 years as a keeper in my playing days and 7 years as a coach since I stopped playing.

Who did you play for? Was it high level?

You might have played at the same level as my wifes uncle if so.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Nov 2018 08:14

Kulshaw72RFC
Old Man Andrews
Kulshaw72RFC

I played a very high level until the age of 16 and then discovered fags, women and a bit of weed. Still played a fairly decent level, equivilent of Hellenic League.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 06 Nov 2018 08:50

Old Man Andrews
Kulshaw72RFC
Old Man Andrews

I played a very high level until the age of 16 and then discovered fags, women and a bit of weed. Still played a fairly decent level, equivilent of Hellenic League.

I know he last played for Chesham with the Legend Barry Hayles. I think that is a bit higher at that time anyway.

He also played with Pardew and Primus and Maik Taylor under Ray Clemence at Barnet on loan from Chelski :lol:

and was in that famous MeLOLtdown video where John Sitton was ripping into him and the rest of the team at Halftime.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 06 Nov 2018 10:41

Kulshaw72RFC
Old Man Andrews
Kulshaw72RFC

I know he last played for Chesham with the Legend Barry Hayles. I think that is a bit higher at that time anyway.

He also played with Pardew and Primus and Maik Taylor under Ray Clemence at Barnet on loan from Chelski :lol:

and was in that famous MeLOLtdown video where John Sitton was ripping into him and the rest of the team at Halftime.

Wow another lie!

3567 posts