England - the future....

3567 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: England - the future....

by Ian Royal » 04 Jun 2016 11:17

Hoop Blah It wasn't a diamond, that was pretty clear from the positions they took up and Hodgson's comments after the game.

And you can't blame Rooney for the way it was played, he didn't pick the team.

Fair enough... i didn't think it was a diamond either, but the way Hoddle and others constantly referred to it that way had me doubting myself.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Jun 2016 12:37

Premier League corners taken last season by members of England squad

James Milner 116
Ross Barkley 70
Ryan Bertrand 52
Adam Lallana 19
Jordan Henderson 12
Harry Kane 7
Wayne Rooney, Raheem Sterling 5
Delle Alli 3
Daniel Sturridge 1
All others 0

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 28 Nov 2016 13:35

Not sure where else to put this, but it looks like Wilfred Zaha is switching from England to Ivory Coast.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38128178

I can see that it may comply with the rules but it's a daft situation IMO.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 28 Nov 2016 14:09

Wilfred Mehheh

8)

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 29 Nov 2016 23:46

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38152861

Southg8 to be confirmed tomorrow.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 30 Nov 2016 09:25

Why was this moved into the Euro's forum?

It's a general England discussion about players coming through and the future of the national team.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 30 Nov 2016 10:14

genome http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38152861

Southg8 to be confirmed tomorrow.

:|

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 22 Mar 2017 21:01

I'm liking the look of this England team.....not boring the pants off me as previous managers have done.....I think Southgate could be the man to take England forward. WTF Allerdyce was ever given the chance baffles me. On the international scene the younger managers seem to know that level better. England have always looked better with younger managers.,Hoddle and even Keegan wernt that bad.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 22 Mar 2017 21:15

Never got why Podolski never worked at Arsenal. Fantastic player who was constantly dropped or benched by Wenger yet gave a decent return.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 22 Mar 2017 21:56

second question to Cahill in interview was - "how much of the events in London were on your minds today?"

Personally I think that's a suitable question. It's huge worldwide news and the England players and fans obviously have connections to the country and many with London itself.

Looking at Twitter and I'm surprised with many responses of "what a stupid question"..."he's a footballer not a politician"..."that was bang out of order".... "can't believe ITV trying to use that as an excuse"

As an England captain I'd have been more surprised for it NOT to have been mentioned.

A good response would have been "we heard the terrible news. The events were on our mind and our thoughts are with all those involved. We had to remain focussed on our job .... etc..."

Any thoughts?

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 23 Mar 2017 09:48

bobby1413 second question to Cahill in interview was - "how much of the events in London were on your minds today?"

Personally I think that's a suitable question. It's huge worldwide news and the England players and fans obviously have connections to the country and many with London itself.

Looking at Twitter and I'm surprised with many responses of "what a stupid question"..."he's a footballer not a politician"..."that was bang out of order".... "can't believe ITV trying to use that as an excuse"

As an England captain I'd have been more surprised for it NOT to have been mentioned.

A good response would have been "we heard the terrible news. The events were on our mind and our thoughts are with all those involved. We had to remain focussed on our job .... etc..."

Any thoughts?

A pointless question that would have received a pointless answer

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 23 Mar 2017 10:50

Hoop Blah Not sure where else to put this, but it looks like Wilfred Zaha is switching from England to Ivory Coast.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38128178

I can see that it may comply with the rules but it's a daft situation IMO.

That is very dissapointing news for the England national team. Not!

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 28 Mar 2017 10:26

Shaun Wright-Phillips son called up into England under 16's squad.

:shock:

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 23 Aug 2017 15:26

Nobody have anything to say about Rooney's retirement? Personally I think he could play a while longer for England but it must get to you eventually when all you get is stick

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 24 Aug 2017 12:40

I don't think Rooney was going to play a key role so not that significant IMO
He's just getting out on his own terms
And I don't think we will miss him

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Aug 2017 12:11

Silver Fox Nobody have anything to say about Rooney's retirement? Personally I think he could play a while longer for England but it must get to you eventually when all you get is stick

I think it's probably a wise choice for Rooney, and I wonder if Southgate gave him the chance to do it on his terms as a reward for being such a good servant to the national team.

He's started the season well but his legs have looked gone for a couple of seasons now and he doesn't quite fit into the new team that Southgate is, or at least should be, building.

As for the rest of the squad, I'm a bit surprised and disappointed to see Chalobah included as he just annoys me. It'll be interesting watching Southgate put this side together over the season.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 31 Aug 2017 10:31

I think it says a lot about Rooney that he has quit when he has. I'm still not much of a fan of people 'retiring from international football', but that is what it is. Rooney ends on 119 caps - he might have taken the call-up and two appearances off the bench to become our most capped player, but that's never been his style - if there's one thing Rooney doesn't have it is an ego. He's been much maligned but he's not alone in failing to produce at a major tournament in an England shirt (and that goes for prior generations too). Did he become the player we thought of when he scored that goal against Arsenal? Probably not, but he's nevertheless always given his all for his country and scored a hell of a lot of goals.

There's not much substitute for experience, and the top scorers in the squad are now Defoe and Welbeck, who are hardly the future of the team. No-one else has more than Kane's 8 goals.

double d

by double d » 02 Sep 2017 21:42

Another lacklustre performance yesterday

72 bus
Hob Nob Regular

by 72 bus » 03 Sep 2017 20:19

Watched England, Scotland and Wales this weekend.
England the least technically adept and by far the most boring to watch, and that against the weakest opposition of the three.
very very sad to see

Jim Royal

by Jim Royal » 04 Sep 2017 10:31

72 bus Watched England, Scotland and Wales this weekend.
England the least technically adept and by far the most boring to watch, and that against the weakest opposition of the three.
very very sad to see

What was sad to see is our options in central midfield. We had Henderson and Livermore starting with only Chalobah on the bench.

None of which are good enough to be starters IMO. And absolutely no creativity in there whatsoever.

3567 posts