England - the future....

3527 posts
Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

Re: England - the future....

by Ascotexgunner » 18 Nov 2018 19:15

glass half full Modric -what do you say now? :D

"Oh wel! I've played in a world cup final and got the medal to prove it"?

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 18 Nov 2018 19:38

Ascotexgunner

"I apologise for my derogatory remarks about England. We were beaten today by the better team."

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 18 Nov 2018 19:54

glass half full
Ascotexgunner

"I apologise for my derogatory remarks about England. We were beaten today by the better team."

What derogatory remarks?

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular

by glass half full » 18 Nov 2018 20:03

sandman
glass half full
Ascotexgunner

What derogatory remarks?

Sorry, I can't remember his exact words but he said something to the effect that England were a weak team.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 18 Nov 2018 20:09

glass half full
sandman
glass half full

What derogatory remarks?

Sorry, I can't remember his exact words but he said something to the effect that England were a weak team.

The only comments I can see when googling his name is him saying the English media should be more humble and that Croatia felt disrespected by them at the World Cup, which I don't think is the most controversial thing in the World.

Incidentally I can remember him saying this in an interview after the World Cup match so these quotes are months old and seem to have been dragged back up by our media to create controversy. Which would seem to back up his point.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular

by glass half full » 18 Nov 2018 20:18

sandman
glass half full
sandman
What derogatory remarks?

The only comments I can see when googling his name is him saying the English media should be more humble and that Croatia felt disrespected by them at the World Cup, which I don't think is the most controversial thing in the World.

Incidentally I can remember him saying this in an interview after the World Cup match so these quotes are months old and seem to have been dragged back up by our media to create controversy. Which would seem to back up his point.

Point taken and I realise that he was having a 'pop' at English media. He did, however, stretch the truth a bit to say that Croatia 'dominated' the game.

Anyway, there was no doubt which team dominated today.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 18 Nov 2018 20:25

Indeed.

Although tbf the Croats played in a highly competitive nations league match two days previously whilst England played in a glorified testimonial.

Well done to England though.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 19 Nov 2018 11:11

sandman Indeed.

Although tbf the Croats played in a highly competitive nations league match two days previously whilst England played in a glorified testimonial.

Well done to England though.

Lol. You only ever do back-handed praise, don't you?

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 19 Nov 2018 11:13

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular

by glass half full » 19 Nov 2018 11:49

stealthpapes

:)

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 19 Nov 2018 12:47

Presumably he might say something like "Who was the standout player on the pitch again last night?"
Streets ahead of anybody else.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 19 Nov 2018 13:30

Victor Meldrew

Presumably he might say something like "Who was the standout player on the pitch again last night?"

Streets ahead? I'm not sure he even shaded it against Delph myself, let alone be streets ahead of anybody else.

I'm more interested in the performances on the pitch than the twisting of a few comments that have been twisted by the media, and I think we played well against a very good side. It's good signs for England and we're seeing a squad play with a lot more freedom and confidence right now.

My fear is that people, and the media, will start to expect too much and focus on the negatives as this squad evolves. We, as a country, are so quick to jump on the back on a bad result or performance by our national team. It's been a significant factor in the failure to fulfil our potential over the last 20 or so years and hopefully this new dawn will be off the pitch as well as on it.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 19 Nov 2018 16:52

Hoop Blah
Victor Meldrew

Streets ahead? I'm not sure he even shaded it against Delph myself, let alone be streets ahead of anybody else.

I'm more interested in the performances on the pitch than the twisting of a few comments that have been twisted by the media, and I think we played well against a very good side. It's good signs for England and we're seeing a squad play with a lot more freedom and confidence right now.

My fear is that people, and the media, will start to expect too much and focus on the negatives as this squad evolves. We, as a country, are so quick to jump on the back on a bad result or performance by our national team. It's been a significant factor in the failure to fulfil our potential over the last 20 or so years and hopefully this new dawn will be off the pitch as well as on it.

Like a lot of football fans today I have no more than a passing interest in the national team-the hype both ways drives me mad.
It seems to me that where we are at is having a team now with no great superstars who enjoy playing together and the crowd is very much onside -all of this is to Southgate's great credit and should be applauded.
I do however not see such a great improvement in the quality of football as some are suggesting and as sandman says we score most of our goals from set pieces.

As for Modric I thought he hardly put a foot wrong and was everywhere-I don't disagree on Delph who had probably his best game for England but Barkley and Dier were poor and Rashford runs up too many blind alleys.
Chilwell looks ahead of Shaw, Rose and Bertrand now and Stones is looking the part.
I thought Kane was anonymous but arrived when it mattered-mind you, dreadful marking by Lovren who showed why Klopp desperately needed a replacement centre-back.

IMHO England just shaded the game (Croatia's second in 3 days) because of a very good first half in which Kane missed an absolute sitter but I felt Croatia had similar chances in the second and did not take them.

Thank goodness there are no International breaks till March(?)-these 2 weeks even when there are just friendlies feel every time like an eternity.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 19 Nov 2018 17:06

Victor Meldrew Thank goodness there are no International breaks till March(?)-these 2 weeks even when there are just friendlies feel every time like an eternity.

I think I'm a rare breed in still liking international football. I'm no fan of these elongated international breaks though. As with a lot of the issues with the game it's driven by TV money and a thirst for putting too much football on TV.

Largely agree with the rest of your post though, although I'd say it's harsh on Dier and (perhaps less so) Barkley but they both did a pretty disciplined job without doing anything outstanding.

Kane keeps scoring, but does look like he needs the rest he hasn't had for a while.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 20 Nov 2018 08:15

As long as Kane keeps scoring and assisting (wasn't he involved in all three goals in Spain?) then his place is under no question whatsoever. I don't remember the likes of Lineker or Owen doing much except score goals.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Nov 2018 08:38

Can't remember a time when I was more excited about our national team. Our games are exciting on the whole and more importantly we are actually winning games when it matters. To beat Spain away from home and to come from behind to beat Croatia are things we would never have been able to do 10-20 years ago, we'd have buckled. This current crop of players are a unit and have a bit of belief in themselves and it has come purely from the manager in my opinion, he has single handidly changed our fortunes and given the nation a team to believe in.

What needs to happen next is a bit of bravery from the FA and Premier League. I really want a rule in place that states there has to be at least 4 home nations players in every Premier League team. We need these young kids to start playing early in order to prevent our best young talent having to go to Germany to get game time.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Nov 2018 08:57

Victor Meldrew I do however not see such a great improvement in the quality of football as some are suggesting and as sandman says we score most of our goals from set pieces.

You didn't watch the Spain game then? Not seen an England team play to that standard in years, it was great entertainment.

As for the set piece goals thing, I think you have both been taken in by Southgate's slightly tounge in cheek comments. During the World Cup, I would have to agree but the team has evolved since then.

In the 6 games they have played since Russia, England have scored 10 goals. The goals v Croatia were the first they have scored from set pieces in that time.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 20 Nov 2018 09:36

Old Man Andrews Can't remember a time when I was more excited about our national team. Our games are exciting on the whole and more importantly we are actually winning games when it matters. To beat Spain away from home and to come from behind to beat Croatia are things we would never have been able to do 10-20 years ago, we'd have buckled. This current crop of players are a unit and have a bit of belief in themselves and it has come purely from the manager in my opinion, he has single handidly changed our fortunes and given the nation a team to believe in.

What needs to happen next is a bit of bravery from the FA and Premier League. I really want a rule in place that states there has to be at least 4 home nations players in every Premier League team. We need these young kids to start playing early in order to prevent our best young talent having to go to Germany to get game time.

Having the best talent going to Germany is probably better for the national team in the longer run,

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Nov 2018 09:37

stealthpapes
Old Man Andrews Can't remember a time when I was more excited about our national team. Our games are exciting on the whole and more importantly we are actually winning games when it matters. To beat Spain away from home and to come from behind to beat Croatia are things we would never have been able to do 10-20 years ago, we'd have buckled. This current crop of players are a unit and have a bit of belief in themselves and it has come purely from the manager in my opinion, he has single handidly changed our fortunes and given the nation a team to believe in.

Having the best talent going to Germany is probably better for the national team in the longer run,

It is currently yes. That is because our Premier League clubs do not give them the opportunities they need. With a rule in place we would hopefully negate that.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 20 Nov 2018 10:05

Old Man Andrews
stealthpapes

It is currently yes. That is because our Premier League clubs do not give them the opportunities they need. With a rule in place we would hopefully negate that.

With Papes on this one. Playing abroad can be part of the development of the young players in itself. English football (and footballers)has been far too insular for far too long.

If you look at the French, German and Spanish tournament winning teams of recent times and you'll see a number of their players play outside their country or have spent at least some time in their formative years doing so.

Chelsea get a lot of stick, rightly so in some cases, for their stockpiling of young talent but I do believe the time spent at Vitesse is a good thing for many of the youngsters and England can definitely benefit from it.

Not to say that progression into Premiership 1st Teams isn't an issue because it is, just that if the alternative is playing in the Bundesliga then I think that brings advantages of it's own in many ways.
Last edited by Vision on 20 Nov 2018 10:07, edited 1 time in total.

3527 posts