England - the future....

3527 posts
stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

Re: England - the future....

by stealthpapes » 20 Nov 2018 10:07

I think it always will be. Not all of them, but I've been convinced for years that having players play outside of the English bubble is very good for the national team as a whole.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Nov 2018 13:25

Sanguine As long as Kane keeps scoring and assisting (wasn't he involved in all three goals in Spain?) then his place is under no question whatsoever. I don't remember the likes of Lineker or Owen doing much except score goals.

I'm not suggesting his place is under threat, not at all. I just don't think he's playing as well as he was before his injury at the start of the year though.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Nov 2018 13:27

Stranded
Victor Meldrew I do however not see such a great improvement in the quality of football as some are suggesting and as sandman says we score most of our goals from set pieces.

You didn't watch the Spain game then? Not seen an England team play to that standard in years, it was great entertainment.

As for the set piece goals thing, I think you have both been taken in by Southgate's slightly tounge in cheek comments. During the World Cup, I would have to agree but the team has evolved since then.

In the 6 games they have played since Russia, England have scored 10 goals. The goals v Croatia were the first they have scored from set pieces in that time.

We also created a fair number of chances, or opportunities to make a chance, from open play against Croatia.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Nov 2018 13:35

Since when did we start caring about how we score goals? I couldn't give a toss if every single goal we scored until the end of time came from a corner as long as we are successful. Goal snobbery is pointless.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Nov 2018 16:28

Old Man Andrews Since when did we start caring about how we score goals? I couldn't give a toss if every single goal we scored until the end of time came from a corner as long as we are successful. Goal snobbery is pointless.

It’s an indication of how well the team is playing though, and the way this England side is playing is one of the reasons why people seem to be reconnecting with them.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 20 Nov 2018 20:16

I have been as critical / cynical as anyone about England in the past, but genuinely look forward to watching them play now.

The football they play is the best we’ve seen since 1970 imo.

And they are nowhere near the finished article.

Exciting times I reckon.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 14 Feb 2019 10:14

Declan Rice switches allegiance to England - which I think is a huge coup for Southgate and his young team. I've never been entirely comfortable with players switching after playing for the senior (in this case Ireland) side in friendlies, but rulez is rulez, and in Rice's case he played for Ireland owing to paternal grandparents. He was born in London and his parents are English.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 14 Feb 2019 10:17

Sanguine Declan Rice switches allegiance to England - which I think is a huge coup for Southgate and his young team. I've never been entirely comfortable with players switching after playing for the senior (in this case Ireland) side in friendlies, but rulez is rulez, and in Rice's case he played for Ireland owing to paternal grandparents. He was born in London and his parents are English.

My West-Ham-ST-Holder mate say he is the real deal as well.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Feb 2019 16:02

Sanguine Declan Rice switches allegiance to England - which I think is a huge coup for Southgate and his young team. I've never been entirely comfortable with players switching after playing for the senior (in this case Ireland) side in friendlies, but rulez is rulez, and in Rice's case he played for Ireland owing to paternal grandparents. He was born in London and his parents are English.

Arguably he could be the missing piece of the jigsaw for England - looks very composed in a DM role and should only get better.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Mar 2019 10:57

The England squad is announced this afternoon with Declan Rice expected to get his first call up after declaring for England. I'm not sure I believe all the hype just yet, but it'll be good to see him involved.

Potentially a few other changes, one of which is a recall for Ward-Prowse (a player I really like) after his good form, although I'm not sure where he'd really fit in the England side. Palace right back Wan-Bissaka might be another youngster that gets a call up and I've read a bit of comment on whether Pickford is going to come under pressure for his place in the starting XI after his recent gaffs.

Really looking forward to seeing how Southgate can build a side with a front line of Rashford, Kane and Sterling. That front 3 should be enough to worry any side in world football right now.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Mar 2019 11:47

Hoop Blah The England squad is announced this afternoon with Declan Rice expected to get his first call up after declaring for England. I'm not sure I believe all the hype just yet, but it'll be good to see him involved.

Potentially a few other changes, one of which is a recall for Ward-Prowse (a player I really like) after his good form, although I'm not sure where he'd really fit in the England side. Palace right back Wan-Bissaka might be another youngster that gets a call up and I've read a bit of comment on whether Pickford is going to come under pressure for his place in the starting XI after his recent gaffs.

Really looking forward to seeing how Southgate can build a side with a front line of Rashford, Kane and Sterling. That front 3 should be enough to worry any side in world football right now.

Not sure there is anyone really putting pressure on Pickford at the moment though otherwise I would agree it might be time to give him a game off based on his current form.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 13 Mar 2019 14:20

Goalkeepers: Tom Heaton, Jack Butland, Jordan Pickford
Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Ben Chilwell, Michael Keane, Harry Maguire, Danny Rose, Luke Shaw, John Stones, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker, James Tarkowski
Midfielders: Ross Barkley, Dele Alli, Fabian Delph, Eric Dier, Jordan Henderson, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Declan Rice
Forwards: Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho, Raheem Sterling, Callum Wilson

Just Rice as a new face - the likes of Sancho, Wilson and Chilwell keep their places. Surprised to see RLC in there, didn't think he'd really been playing for Chelsea.

Rice called up four days before he will rather awkwardly receive the Irish Young Player of the Year award. :oops: :lol:

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 13 Mar 2019 15:25

3 reasonable keepers no-one outstanding

lots of v good full backs
average CB's

decent enough midfield but no outstanding creative players

excellent forwards (for clubs)

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Mar 2019 15:52

Sanguine Just Rice as a new face - the likes of Sancho, Wilson and Chilwell keep their places. Surprised to see RLC in there, didn't think he'd really been playing for Chelsea.

Rice called up four days before he will rather awkwardly receive the Irish Young Player of the Year award. :oops: :lol:

Southgate likes to show loyalty and I guess that's helped both Loftus-Cheek and Barkley stay in the squad when their form and game time might not warrant it. I don't think that's a bad thing as such, but Ward-Prowse must feel a bit miffed to miss out in favour of Loftus -Cheek who hasn't started a game for some time.

I can't see Southgate not playing Pickford, for much the same reasons, plus he's such a fan of Pickford ability with the ball at his feet.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 13 Mar 2019 16:21

Hoop Blah
Sanguine Just Rice as a new face - the likes of Sancho, Wilson and Chilwell keep their places. Surprised to see RLC in there, didn't think he'd really been playing for Chelsea.

Southgate likes to show loyalty and I guess that's helped both Loftus-Cheek and Barkley stay in the squad when their form and game time might not warrant it. I don't think that's a bad thing as such, but Ward-Prowse must feel a bit miffed to miss out in favour of Loftus -Cheek who hasn't started a game for some time.

I can't see Southgate not playing Pickford, for much the same reasons, plus he's such a fan of Pickford ability with the ball at his feet.

Yep, Ward-Prowse must be feeling a bit of the 'if not now, when?' Albeit I assume he has a decent relationship with Southgate from his time in the under-21s, so perhaps the England boss is talking to him behind the scenes.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Mar 2019 07:46

Sanguine
Hoop Blah

Yep, Ward-Prowse must be feeling a bit of the 'if not now, when?' Albeit I assume he has a decent relationship with Southgate from his time in the under-21s, so perhaps the England boss is talking to him behind the scenes.

Its not bad management on the part of Southgate, possibly he is trying to motivate Ward-Prowse to keep up his form until the end of the season, challenging him to be consistent which is something Ward-Prowse has never really been. I'd like to see him move on from Southampton in the Summer and go to a bigger club, lets see what he is all about. Spurs would be a good fit for him imo.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Mar 2019 13:21

James Ward-Prowse added to the squad today after Stones, Delph and Loftus-Cheek pulled out through injury.

Leaves us a little short at centre back I guess with just Maguire, Tarkowski and Keane left after Stones withdrawal. Rice and Dier can both fill in of course, but that's not ideal.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Mar 2019 14:31

Hoop Blah James Ward-Prowse added to the squad today after Stones, Delph and Loftus-Cheek pulled out through injury.

Isn't he the Green Cross Code man and Darth Vader?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Mar 2019 20:15

Luke Shaw becomes the 4th player to pull out so Southgate has now called up Hodson-Odoi.

It seems an odd way of replacing a full back, but seeing as we had 3 left backs in the original squad it possibly makes it more balanced.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 19 Mar 2019 14:03

I see caps are still being given out like proverbial confetti. I've also been chuckling away to myself after reading so many people calling for Jack Grealish to be called up to the squad!

3527 posts