Hob Nob Regular

Re: England - the future....

by Brum Royal » 31 May 2016 14:35

Drinkwater and Townsend miss out

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 31 May 2016 14:36

Always thought Drinkwater and Delph would miss out, but I'm surprised he's gone with Sturridge/Rashford over Townsend. That is a very narrow-looking squad. Barkley's massively lucky that Roy likes a squad packed with centre-midfielders.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 31 May 2016 14:38

Fitness concerns over Henderson and Wilshere so he drops Drinkwater and takes 5 strikers, lol

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 31 May 2016 14:46

genome Fitness concerns over Henderson and Wilshere so he drops Drinkwater and takes 5 strikers, lol

Yep. But Woy has his favourites. No surprise with the inclusion of Henderson and Wilshire even though on recent form Drinkwater and Noble should be in ahead of them.

I would like to have seen Carrick in there personally. His ball retention is better than any midfielder we have in the squad.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 31 May 2016 15:07

Whore Jackie Always thought Drinkwater and Delph would miss out, but I'm surprised he's gone with Sturridge/Rashford over Townsend. That is a very narrow-looking squad. Barkley's massively lucky that Roy likes a squad packed with centre-midfielders.

But with Rooney able to play the CAM role, i'm surprised he took Barkley over Townsend

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 31 May 2016 15:09

Whore Jackie Always thought Drinkwater and Delph would miss out, but I'm surprised he's gone with Sturridge/Rashford over Townsend. That is a very narrow-looking squad. Barkley's massively lucky that Roy likes a squad packed with centre-midfielders.

Only real 'width' there is an out of form Sterling and a bang average Lallana. Great.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 31 May 2016 15:13

I did the BBC team selector thingy. I reckon it'll be

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 31 May 2016 15:15

YateleyRoyal

Only real 'width' there is an out of form Sterling and a bang average Lallana. Great.

As with most sides at the moment, the width is provided by attacking full backs.

I'd like to have seen Townsend go (and Drinkwater for that matter) but there's little point in taking a supposed winger if both of the two systems Hodgson intends to use do not utilise them.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 31 May 2016 17:17

Vision
YateleyRoyal

As with most sides at the moment, the width is provided by attacking full backs.

I'd like to have seen Townsend go (and Drinkwater for that matter) but there's little point in taking a supposed winger if both of the two systems Hodgson intends to use do not utilise them.

So why include Townsend in the 26?

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 31 May 2016 17:19

Victor Meldrew So why include Townsend in the 26?

In case he did want to play with wingers

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 31 May 2016 17:27

I'm one of the few people I know who happens to think Henderson is better than Drinkwater and deserves his spot. He's certainly played better than Drinkwater in the couple of friendlies and has consistently done the job Hodgson apparently asks of him well.

If he took Drinkwater would he really threaten a place in the side? Dier is pretty much nailed on as the holding midfielder in whichever formation he plays (I'm yet to be convinced by him as it happens) and Wilshire played that role previously so is presumably the backup.

As for width, well that will come from the fullbacks bombing on (as Vision said) but also from the likes of Vardy, Rooney, Sturridge and Rashford who will be options for the wider roles alongside Kane in a 4-3-3.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 31 May 2016 19:02

genome Harsh on Drinkwater, making 35 starts for a title-winning side isn't enough?

Midfield was a strong position and I don't think he really grasped his chance and made the choice difficult in his friendly appearances.

Ol' glass legs is fairly lucky there too IMO.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 31 May 2016 19:37

But ol' Glass Legs is the closest to world class we have in England at the moment and appears to be fit and improving with every game so a fair enough mini-gamble.

Wilshere I'm thinking there but he's Glass Ankles so maybe you mean Sturridge... In which case I agree 100%.

Very surprised he's gone.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 31 May 2016 19:52

Drinkwater has been part of something great but looked very average in the friendlies - sometimes good club players don't make the step up. He had his chance and he didn't take it with both hands.

A few in that squad that should count themselves a touch fortuitous (Barkley, Wilshere) but on the whole, not overly critical of the choices. My only concern is the CBs and that is far from a selection related issue.

It is a young squad and although Barkley and Wilshere (to name but two) aren't on fire, the majority of the squad have potentially another 3 major tournaments together.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 31 May 2016 19:58

No Fixed Abode
genome Fitness concerns over Henderson and Wilshere so he drops Drinkwater and takes 5 strikers, lol

Yep. But Woy has his favourites. No surprise with the inclusion of Henderson and Wilshire even though on recent form Drinkwater and Noble should be in ahead of them.

I would like to have seen Carrick in there personally. His ball retention is better than any midfielder we have in the squad.

Which is no bloody use if you only have 20% of the possession and he is useless at winning the ball back against better teams.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 31 May 2016 20:31

England's back line looks like its made of glass. When Garra Bale runs at em they'll shatter......they look very narrow too. Gunter might have an easy evening if noones running at him and Ashley Williams is is doing all the work. :D

Unless of course they pick Sterling who will probably spend the evening running past the ball.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 31 May 2016 20:47

Royal Rother But ol' Glass Legs is the closest to world class we have in England at the moment and appears to be fit and improving with every game so a fair enough mini-gamble.

Wilshere I'm thinking there but he's Glass Ankles so maybe you mean Sturridge... In which case I agree 100%.

Very surprised he's gone.

Yeah, Sturridge, though in hindsight it does apply to Wilshere - but I think there's definitely room for him.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 31 May 2016 20:57

Tails Drinkwater has been part of something great but looked very average in the friendlies - sometimes good club players don't make the step up. He had his chance and he didn't take it with both hands.

A few in that squad that should count themselves a touch fortuitous (Barkley, Wilshere) but on the whole, not overly critical of the choices. My only concern is the CBs and that is far from a selection related issue.

It is a young squad and although Barkley and Wilshere (to name but two) aren't on fire, the majority of the squad have potentially another 3 major tournaments together.

I personally think Drinkwater only looked "good" this season due to having Kante working like a struggle pig next to him. He didn't do enough to deserve an England shirt IMHO, the other midfielders have been there for a few years now and Roy knows what they can do.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 31 May 2016 21:28

Irrespective of what the squad is, we'll probably get to the quarter final at best again.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 31 May 2016 23:01

If Drinkwater was a Liverpool player and Liverpool won the title, and Henderson was a Leicester player and Leicester finished 8th, I don't think Hodgson would've picked an unfit Henderson over him.

3567 posts