England - the future....

3567 posts
leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: England - the future....

by leon » 01 Jun 2016 00:35

genome If Drinkwater was a Liverpool player and Liverpool won the title, and Henderson was a Leicester player and Leicester finished 8th, I don't think Hodgson would've picked an unfit Henderson over him.

No shit.

If Rashford played for West Ham or Leciester he wouldn't be going either.

In life it's not what you know it's who you blow.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 01 Jun 2016 00:36

genome and Liverpool won the title

:lol: :lol:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 Jun 2016 08:16

genome If Drinkwater was a Liverpool player and Liverpool won the title, and Henderson was a Leicester player and Leicester finished 8th, I don't think Hodgson would've picked an unfit Henderson over him.

What if he'd been a consistent and reliable performer for him for the last few years and wasn't a player who couldn't get in a near relegated team 12 months ago? What if he played a lot better than him in the recent friendlies before naming the squad?

They bring slightly different things to a team as well (much like Delph) so I really don't get the obsession with comparing the two.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 01 Jun 2016 08:40

genome I did the BBC team selector thingy. I reckon it'll be

Worst England defence in my lifetime I reckon.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Jun 2016 08:53

Hoop Blah

What if he'd been a consistent and reliable performer for him for the last few years and wasn't a player who couldn't get in a near relegated team 12 months ago? What if he played a lot better than him in the recent friendlies before naming the squad?

They bring slightly different things to a team as well (much like Delph) so I really don't get the obsession with comparing the two.

Especially as any England progress is likely to change dependant on which of Henderson or Drinkwater sit on the bench.

I am mildly surprised Townsend didn't go as he is something a bit different, quick and direct, compared to others in the squad, who could have made a difference of the bench if we are 1-0 down with 15 mins to go against a tiring defence.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 01 Jun 2016 09:00

also quite surprised at Townsend not going.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 01 Jun 2016 09:06

Winston Smith
genome I did the BBC team selector thingy. I reckon it'll be

Worst England defence in my lifetime I reckon.

I'm not sure it is. Any team without David James as goalie has got to be one goal better per game than a team with him. Also, we have passed a bit better since the arrogant megastar generation have retired.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 01 Jun 2016 10:19

Hoop Blah

You should be picking teams on form and confidence, not what they used to be like. I maintain that if they switched clubs Drinkwater would've gone.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 01 Jun 2016 10:49

genome
Hoop Blah

You should be picking teams on form and confidence, not what they used to be like. I maintain that if they switched clubs Drinkwater would've gone.

Form for your club is different to form for your country...going by your judgement our line up at the Euro's would be

Butland
Daniels Dann Dawson Francis
Barkley Alli Drinkwater Noble
Kane Vardy

There are just some players you pick, purely for their ability, not their form.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 01 Jun 2016 11:01

could always be something behind the scenes that decided the Drinkwater omission. Something Roy saw in training and the friendly that he wasn't keen on.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 01 Jun 2016 11:01

TBM

:lol:

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 01 Jun 2016 11:17

Winston Smith could always be something behind the scenes that decided the Drinkwater omission. Something Roy saw in training and the friendly that he wasn't keen on.

Maybe he shat in his kit bag?

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 01 Jun 2016 11:18

you read my mind

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 01 Jun 2016 11:23

No Fixed Abode
TBM

:lol:

After last season, don't think you can rule out the possibility of anyone winning the title, no matter how ludicrous it may seem

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 01 Jun 2016 13:33

Winston Smith also quite surprised at Townsend not going.

Am very surprised that Townsend is not going

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Jun 2016 14:18

Winston Smith could always be something behind the scenes that decided the Drinkwater omission. Something Roy saw in training and the friendly that he wasn't keen on.

Quite.

But he will remain schtum and continue to be vilified by those with no real knowledge.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 01 Jun 2016 17:44

Probably the worst squad we have ever sent to a finals. Defensively it is a disaster waiting to happen and the midfield has been sacrificed to allow the FGS to get a game. If our front two get anything like decent service we might have a chance but I can't see anything other than another early exit.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Jun 2016 21:34

If Henderson had still be consistently playing and doing fine for England previously and Drinkwater was just trying to break into the squad, I suspect he would.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 Jun 2016 21:38

genome You should be picking teams on form and confidence, not what they used to be like. I maintain that if they switched clubs Drinkwater would've gone.

Form should be part of the consideration yes, but you're also trying to build a team and not just a collection of the in form names.

Part of a team is that you show loyalty and togetherness and that you try and get to know how to play alongside each other within that teams systems of play. Henderson has played as the right side of that 3 midfielders consistently well for 2 years. He does a good job there and if we're looking for the side to play as it did against Germany (ie hard working and closing down the opposition at ever chance) then Henderson is ideal for the job. His passing is much better than he's given credit for too (see his two or three creative passes in 20 odd minutes against Turkey).

I'm in the minority in being a Henderson fan but I just think he's one of those players who does a great job for the team without getting too many plaudits. He makes other players better.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 01 Jun 2016 22:31

Surely a group of in-form players are going to be more confident in themselves and likely to perform together better?

Never really seen a huge amount of quality that sets Henderson apart from other midfielders when playing for England. Flashes of quality for Liverpool but he even has vocal critics from Liverpool fans. Anyway, my point is I think it's harsh on Drinkwater (and Noble ftr) to dropped, especially considering he's taken 5 strikers. How else is he ever going to get into the England squad without moving to a bigger club?

Terminal Boardom Probably the worst squad we have ever sent to a finals.

When was the last time we took a squad with the two highest scorers in the Premier League? Euro 96? W10 D0 L0 in Qualifying too... and beat the world champions. Decent.

3567 posts