England - the future....

3559 posts
Double d v2

Re: England - the future....

by Double d v2 » 16 May 2018 08:57

The big debate at work is whether or not Shelvey will go. Livermore is (so I have heard from contacts) nailed on to go. But GS is umming and eering about Shelvey, especially his discipline and hot head. Although I think creatively he is our best player.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 May 2018 10:05

Double d v2 The big debate at work is whether or not Shelvey will go. Livermore is (so I have heard from contacts) nailed on to go. But GS is umming and eering about Shelvey, especially his discipline and hot head. Although I think creatively he is our best player.

I don't really buy into the Shelvey love to be honest. He's a good passer but from what I've seen (and it's not a hell of a lot this season) he's one that plays a lot of those long range raking passes so in a sense he flatters a little bit. I've always been a Henderson fan he he can play those as well, and a fair few defense splitting through balls but doesn't get the credit for it and probably picks and chooses when to hit them more than Shelvey (the counter argument there might be that he just doesn't see them as often as Shelvey of course!).

I'd be very surprised it Livermore is included. Southgate obviously showed loyalty to him for the previous squads but he also made it sound like that loyalty was specifically for those friendlies. It didn't sound to me like he'd be extending it to the summer.

Old Man Andrews
Hoop Blah Sounds like Wilshire is out, with Delph probably in if reports are correct.

Southgate can't take the risk with Wilshire, complete liability when it comes to fitness. He has had a really bad end to the season too, horribly out of form.

Wilshire is still more creative than just about any other English midfielder, including Shelvey, and I think he's done enough to show the injuries might not be an issue. I have read that his withdrawal from the squad for the friendlies wasn't actually because of an injury but more because Southgate didn't think he was fit enough to play in his system.

Maybe with Oxlade-Chamberlain, Wilshire and Barkley ruled out Livermore is creeping closer to inclusion!

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 16 May 2018 10:09

I like Southgate. He clearly has a plan going forward and hes looking to pick players on form rather than reputation.

England won't win it but I think QFs and a squad for the next 8 years taking shape would be an excellent return.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 16 May 2018 10:16

Hoop Blah
Double d v2 The big debate at work is whether or not Shelvey will go. Livermore is (so I have heard from contacts) nailed on to go. But GS is umming and eering about Shelvey, especially his discipline and hot head. Although I think creatively he is our best player.

I don't really buy into the Shelvey love to be honest. He's a good passer but from what I've seen (and it's not a hell of a lot this season) he's one that plays a lot of those long range raking passes so in a sense he flatters a little bit. I've always been a Henderson fan he he can play those as well, and a fair few defense splitting through balls but doesn't get the credit for it and probably picks and chooses when to hit them more than Shelvey (the counter argument there might be that he just doesn't see them as often as Shelvey of course!).

I'd be very surprised it Livermore is included. Southgate obviously showed loyalty to him for the previous squads but he also made it sound like that loyalty was specifically for those friendlies. It didn't sound to me like he'd be extending it to the summer.

Old Man Andrews
Hoop Blah Sounds like Wilshire is out, with Delph probably in if reports are correct.

Southgate can't take the risk with Wilshire, complete liability when it comes to fitness. He has had a really bad end to the season too, horribly out of form.

Wilshire is still more creative than just about any other English midfielder, including Shelvey, and I think he's done enough to show the injuries might not be an issue. I have read that his withdrawal from the squad for the friendlies wasn't actually because of an injury but more because Southgate didn't think he was fit enough to play in his system.

Maybe with Oxlade-Chamberlain, Wilshire and Barkley ruled out Livermore is creeping closer to inclusion!

I think if Wilshire had been playing like he had been pre-Christmas then he goes for sure. His form is a concern at the moment and plays like he is carrying something. Lack of form and his injury record probably twisted Southgate's arm.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 May 2018 10:20

From Despair To Where? I like Southgate. He clearly has a plan going forward and hes looking to pick players on form rather than reputation.

England won't win it but I think QFs and a squad for the next 8 years taking shape would be an excellent return.

As long as they give it a go and don't play with the inhibitions of previous teams I'll be happy. I'd rather see 3 games of us giving it a go than 5 where we don't. Hopefully the fresh faces will help make that happen.

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 16 May 2018 10:24

Jack Wilshere's tweet this morning is pretty funny,

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 16 May 2018 10:28

From Despair To Where?
England won't win it but I think QFs

Death to non-believers

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 16 May 2018 10:28

Theroyalbox Jack Wilshere's tweet this morning is pretty funny,

farking hell...you know the rules

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 16 May 2018 10:53

Squad (I think) will be something like this

Pickford (no 1)
Butland
Pope

Walker (RB)
Delph (LB)
John Stones
Harry Maguire
Tarkowski/Lascelles
Cahill
Alexander Arnold
Trippier
Young

Lingard (LW)
Alli (CAM)
Sterling (RW)
Henderson (CDM)
Livermore
Shelvey
Loftus Cheek
Lallana

Vardy (ST)
Kane (ST)
Wellbeck

Shame Zaha won't play, I would take him too

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 16 May 2018 10:57

Double d v2 Squad (I think) will be something like this

Pickford (no 1)
Butland
Pope

Walker (RB)
Delph (LB)
John Stones
Harry Maguire
Tarkowski/Lascelles
Cahill
Alexander Arnold
Trippier
Young

Lingard (LW)
Alli (CAM)
Sterling (RW)
Henderson (CDM)
Livermore
Shelvey
Loftus Cheek
Lallana

Vardy (ST)
Kane (ST)
Wellbeck

Why would he take 3 right backs?

Zaha also plays for the Ivory Coast which might be an issue.

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 16 May 2018 11:02

Old Man Andrews

Pickford (no 1)
Butland
Pope

Walker (RB)
Delph (LB)
John Stones
Harry Maguire
Tarkowski/Lascelles
Cahill
Alexander Arnold
Trippier
Young

Lingard (LW)
Alli (CAM)
Sterling (RW)
Henderson (CDM)
Livermore
Shelvey
Loftus Cheek
Lallana

Vardy (ST)
Kane (ST)
Wellbeck

Which is why I said won't play Kes.

Young can play RW/LW/LB and Trent can play LB too.

I would assume Southgate will take more then 3 strikers aswell, it does not fill me with much confidence having Welbeck as our only option as a sub.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 16 May 2018 11:04

Double d v2
Old Man Andrews

Pickford (no 1)
Butland
Pope

Walker (RB)
Delph (LB)
John Stones
Harry Maguire
Tarkowski/Lascelles
Cahill
Alexander Arnold
Trippier
Young

Lingard (LW)
Alli (CAM)
Sterling (RW)
Henderson (CDM)
Livermore
Shelvey
Loftus Cheek
Lallana

Vardy (ST)
Kane (ST)
Wellbeck

I would assume Southgate will take more then 3 strikers aswell, it does not fill me with much confidence having Welbeck as our only option as a sub.

No you had no idea he played for the Ivory Coast and are now trying to make out you knew that all along. Nice try.

Why would you take a 19 year old kid to a World Cup to play out of position at left back?

Theroyalbox
Hob Nob Regular

by Theroyalbox » 16 May 2018 11:14

Pickford
Butland
Pope

Walker
Trippier
Stones
Jones
Maguire
Tarkowski
Young
Rose

Delph
Henderson
Dier
Loftus Cheek
Lingard
Sterling
Lallana
Alli

Kane
Vardy
Welbeck
Rashford
Last edited by Theroyalbox on 16 May 2018 11:16, edited 1 time in total.

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 16 May 2018 11:15

Left Dier out I realised. Whoops. Swap him for Tarkowski/Lascelles.

Squad (I think) will be something like this

Pickford (no 1)
Butland
Pope

Walker (RB)
Delph (LB)
John Stones (CB)
Harry Maguire
Dier (CB/CDM)
Cahill (CB if Dier is CDM)
Alexander Arnold
Trippier
Young

Lingard (LW)
Alli (CAM)
Sterling (RW)
Henderson (CDM or bench if Dier)
Livermore
Shelvey
Loftus Cheek
Lallana

Vardy (ST)
Kane (ST)
Wellbeck
Last edited by Double d v2 on 16 May 2018 11:18, edited 1 time in total.

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 16 May 2018 11:17

Old Man Andrews
Double d v2
Old Man Andrews

No you had no idea he played for the Ivory Coast and are now trying to make out you knew that all along. Nice try.

Why would you take a 19 year old kid to a World Cup to play out of position at left back?

NO, I did know that because I read it in the news yesterday, and I also said that "he will not play" because he is not eligible.....

He has played left back before and done very well actually, and would be a good backup option to have,

Who would you have Kes? Unfortunately Marcos Alonso is Spanish so you cannot have him.
Last edited by Double d v2 on 16 May 2018 11:18, edited 1 time in total.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 May 2018 11:17

Theroyalbox Jack Wilshere's tweet this morning is pretty :|

Corrected for you.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 16 May 2018 11:18

Double d v2
Old Man Andrews
Double d v2

NO, I did know that because I read it in the news yesterday, and I also said that "he will not play" because he is not eligible.....

He has played left back before and done very well actually, and would be a good backup option to have,

Who would you have Kes?

Ask me again but call me by my actual name and we can have a sensible discussion. See if you can manage it.

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 16 May 2018 11:19

Old Man Andrews
Double d v2
Old Man Andrews

Who would you have Kes?

Ask me again but call me by my actual name and we can have a sensible discussion. See if you can manage it.

Who would you take to the World Cup, actual name unknown but goes by OMA on an internet mongboard?

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 16 May 2018 11:25

There is a dearth of creativity/flair available to England to whether his form dipped a little at the end of a season not taking Wilshire is a big mistake by Southgate in my opinion, especially given Oxlade-Chamberlain's absence. I can only assume he's going to take Lallana and doesn't want the possibility of him & Wilshire both breaking down. Even then taking a bloke that's broken down twice this season and has barely kicked a ball for months over a guy who has played pretty much twice a week over the same period for a side in the Top 6 that reached a European semi-final seems an odd call.

Equally why would anyone not take Rashford?
Last edited by Vision on 16 May 2018 11:38, edited 1 time in total.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 16 May 2018 11:28

Double d v2
Old Man Andrews
Double d v2

Who would you have Kes?

Who would you take to the World Cup, actual name unknown but goes by OMA on an internet mongboard?

Thats far better.

I would have:

Pickford (Number 1)
Pope
Butland

Alexander-Arnold
Walker
Cahill
Stones
Maguire
Young
Rose