by John Smith » 03 Jun 2016 09:32

It's got to be this for me:

....................Hart
Walker..Cahill..Stones..Rose
.....................Dier
......Henderson..Wilshere
..................Rooney
...............Kane..Vardy

But only because he's taken Wilshere. I'd have had made him stay at home with his bucket hats and fags.

Ray Wilkins was bleating on the other day that he and Stones could both play for Barcelona if they wanted them. oxf*rd planet is that bald oxf*rd on then?!! Head. In. Sand.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: England - the future....

by genome » 03 Jun 2016 10:15

Wouldn't read too much into the game. 22 players desperately not wanting to get injured.

We won, we move on.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 03 Jun 2016 10:26

genome Wouldn't read too much into the game. 22 players desperately not wanting to get injured.

We won, we move on.

Brian's been sacked mate

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 03 Jun 2016 10:31

I wouldn't play Vardy from the start myself

He's constantly offside which really disrupts us and with the full backs bombing on like they do it'll only tire us out more.

I would go for

---------------Hart
Clyne Smalling Cahill Rose
-----------------Dier
Lallana ----- Alli --------- Sterling
--------------Rooney
----------------Kane

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 03 Jun 2016 10:41

Since the World Cup England have

P17 W15 D0 L2

How many other teams in the Euros have that sort of form?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Jun 2016 10:49

Really quite disappointed by last nights performance, mainly by Hodgson as opposed to the players themselves. His deployment of the front 3 just nullified them all, and probably took away a fair amount of space from Alli too.

My concern over the last couple of weeks was that Hodgson seemed to be more worried about who he would take in his squad as opposed to who should be in the starting XI, and i think we've possibly caused more problems than solved because of it.

Last night just showed that we're trying to put players on the pitch instead of into the right team set up and that isn't going to win us games.

I hope that the Russia game sees us back to a more energetic and fluid attacking unit, one that would include Rooney but not Vardy for me. As the tournament progresses that may well change but the start off with I'd go with the more tried and tested Rooney, probably in behind Kane in a more 4-2-3-1 formation, but I think Hodgson will stick with a 4-3-3 which I've said before I'm not the biggest fan of.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 03 Jun 2016 11:15

Oh and why the fcuk is Harry Kane taking ALL the free kicks, corners etc?!

He needs to be in the box - i mean its not as if we don't have other players who can't deliver a decent ball into the box

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 03 Jun 2016 11:22

TBM Oh and why the fcuk is Harry Kane taking ALL the free kicks, corners etc?!

He needs to be in the box - i mean its not as if we don't have other players who can't deliver a decent ball into the box

Quite.
As Ray Wilkins (I think) said yesterday - so what he's our best set-piece taker, get our second best set-piece taker on them, Kane needs to be in the box!

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 03 Jun 2016 11:23

Sanguine

Quite.
As Ray Wilkins (I think) said yesterday - so what he's our best set-piece taker, get our second best set-piece taker on them, Kane needs to be in the box!

Is he our best though? - i would say Rooney was better. I can't remember Kane actually scoring a free kick and as for taking a corner - that's hardly rocket science.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Jun 2016 11:23

I really don't get that one, it makes no sense whatsoever.

I hope it's some kind of decoy to stop other teams from getting a view of our real set pieces but I'm not convinced it is.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 03 Jun 2016 11:27

TBM and as for taking a corner - that's hardly rocket science.

Tell Darren Caskey that.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Jun 2016 11:28

TBM Is he our best though? - i would say Rooney was better. I can't remember Kane actually scoring a free kick and as for taking a corner - that's hardly rocket science.

Pretty sure he's scored, or at least taken, freekicks for Spurs from around the box when there's a good chance for shooting. That I can understand.

It's taking the ones that are obviously crossing opportunities and the corners that I can't see why he'd take them. Milner takes a lot for Liverpool, as does Henderson, and Rooney would be the obvious choice, or Wilshire if he's on the pitch. Does Rose take some for Spurs as the left footed option?

Kane is so good in the box that you'd want him in there (similar argument for Rooney I guess) but he only started taking them against Turkey when Rooney wasn't available. I can't believe he's still on them now though.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Jun 2016 12:25

Sanguine “If you play with them both through the middle with Rooney central as well you can’t defend the wide areas. There were some moments where you might be right and Kane and Vardy were a little too wide but their job is to split and come together at the right times. If you play with a man in behind them, you have to make sure he has space in which to run.

I mean, ffs, Roy. The problem there is Rooney, not the front two. The midfield, indeed the front of the diamond (Alli, please!) needs to be astute and mobile enough to make runs wide and off the front two, and work with the wide players.

If that was actually supposed to be a diamond Rooney was playing it completely wrong.

Roy's right that three central attackers leaves you vulnerable wide, but you solve that by the tip of the diamond dropping and the midfielder going wide. Or having 4-3-3 and players who can play wide forward + the midfielders helping.

If that was actually an attempt at the diamond with Rooney at it's point it was a total shambles.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Jun 2016 12:52

It wasn't a diamond, that was pretty clear from the positions they took up and Hodgson's comments after the game.

And you can't blame Rooney for the way it was played, he didn't pick the team.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 03 Jun 2016 13:50

LOL @ social media and the print/broadcast media meltdown as England defeat a perfectly serviceable Portugal team by a catrostophically minimal 1-0 margin :lol: These pre-tournament games are always a crock, just a trumped up training session in all honesty. Pre Italia '90 England due 1-1 with Tunisia thanks to a late goal. Cue 'send them home' meltdown. We then nearly won the bloody thing :lol:

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 03 Jun 2016 14:01

Hoop Blah Really quite disappointed by last nights performance, mainly by Hodgson as opposed to the players themselves. His deployment of the front 3 just nullified them all, and probably took away a fair amount of space from Alli too.

My concern over the last couple of weeks was that Hodgson seemed to be more worried about who he would take in his squad as opposed to who should be in the starting XI, and i think we've possibly caused more problems than solved because of it.

Last night just showed that we're trying to put players on the pitch instead of into the right team set up and that isn't going to win us games.

I hope that the Russia game sees us back to a more energetic and fluid attacking unit, one that would include Rooney but not Vardy for me. As the tournament progresses that may well change but the start off with I'd go with the more tried and tested Rooney, probably in behind Kane in a more 4-2-3-1 formation, but I think Hodgson will stick with a 4-3-3 which I've said before I'm not the biggest fan of.

I think he will go with 4231 with Vardy on the bench

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Jun 2016 15:36

Harry Kane - what a oxf*rd legend.

There is hardly a player from any age group, at any level, from any country who would not have gone down as if pole axed after that challenge yet all he does is rub his head, look a bit surprised and carry on running.

He could single handedly have turned football in this country back down the path where it is cool to be true to yourself and fellow pros and a bit macho rather than a cheating whinging little cry baby oxf*rd.

Won't happen overnight but if the press / media really latch onto that, it will make a big impression on kids.

Naive? Probably.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Jun 2016 15:55

Sanguine “If you play with them both through the middle with Rooney central as well you can’t defend the wide areas. There were some moments where you might be right and Kane and Vardy were a little too wide but their job is to split and come together at the right times. If you play with a man in behind them, you have to make sure he has space in which to run.

I mean, ffs, Roy. The problem there is Rooney, not the front two. The midfield, indeed the front of the diamond (Alli, please!) needs to be astute and mobile enough to make runs wide and off the front two, and work with the wide players.

How fcuking difficult is it to realise that when you are playing against the best teams in the world it helps rather a lot if everyone is in the position they are most comfortable in?

Rocket science it ain't.

It is so fcuking simple. First you look at the formation that most players are most comfortable with because they play it most weeks for their club sides so it's all ingrained / instinctive so easier to deal with when under extreme pressure.

Secondly you assess who are the best players in each of those positions. No favourites - just who is best right now.

Thirdly you send them out on the pitch to do their thing. The things they are most comfortable doing on a football pitch - the things they do naturally.

It's really not too complicated. England managers of all levels make it too complicated for the players time after time after time. How we qualified and how many friendlies we won is largely irrelevant because the intensity, psychological pressures and quality of opposition are simply not as great as in Tournament football. Weaknesses and lack of comfort in players' positions are not as readily exposed.

I despair.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Jun 2016 16:14

The thing I find amusing at the moment is that no-one seems to take in to account that this could just be Hodgson looking at a Plan B formation/personnel.

He knows that the 4-2-3-1 looks good and we have the players to play it, but what if it is negated by another side and we need to change plans? Best to try something during these games to see if it is at least servicable. 3 wins suggest it could be?

Of course if he doesn't revert back to 4-2-3-1 for the Russia game, then I am wrong but that's my take.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Jun 2016 19:55

He's hardly ever played 4-2-3-1 though Stranded, so what's the reason to think it's his Plan A apart from one performance against Germany (where I think they played this 4-3-3 of Hodgson for a period of the game too).

I'm all for putting these games into perspective (before the WC in 2014 there was lots of criticism but it was pretty clear we were practising playing at a slower tempo in preparation of the Brazilian heat) but I'm rather disappointed in these friendlies.

3567 posts