England - the future....

3599 posts
Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: England - the future....

by Royal Rother » 11 Nov 2023 09:57

Sutekh I see the U17 world cup is on at the moment and yet there's naff all information or coverage anywhere in this country. From what little coverage there is England are currently 1-0 up on New Caledonia in a group also with Iran and Brazil.

Yeah, I don't get it. I know setting up any kind of TV coverage comes with significant costs, but overall it would be pretty cheap to show our games and I'd have thought there's be a lot of interest (who are the future PL players?) but let alone TV, it's hard to find ANY news about it.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 15 Nov 2023 09:49

Funny that after years of being England fans' whipping boy, there is now outrage at Sterling's exclusion.

The way I see it, we're so stacked in his position that someone world class is going to be left out, which people will complain about. That being said he's in great form this season.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Nov 2023 10:40

Royal Rother
Sutekh I see the U17 world cup is on at the moment and yet there's naff all information or coverage anywhere in this country. From what little coverage there is England are currently 1-0 up on New Caledonia in a group also with Iran and Brazil.

Yeah, I don't get it. I know setting up any kind of TV coverage comes with significant costs, but overall it would be pretty cheap to show our games and I'd have thought there's be a lot of interest (who are the future PL players?) but let alone TV, it's hard to find ANY news about it.

Being played in Indonesia until 2 December 2023

So far in Group C

New Caledonia 0-10 England
Brazil 1-2 Iran

England 2-1 Iran
Brazil 9-0 New Caledonia

England v Brazil is on Friday 17 November 12:00 k.o. (Indonesia local time)

For those that know the academy games in this country the England squad is:

Keepers
Tommy Setford (Ajax)
Teddy Curd (Chelsea - currently on loan at Hashtag United)
Finlay Herrick (West Ham)

Defenders
Josh Kofi Acheampong (Chelsea)
Jayden Meghoma (Southampton)
Lakyle Samuel (Man City)
Ishe Samuels-Smith (Chelsea)
Harrison Murray-Campbell (Chelsea)
Joe Johnson (Luton)

Midfielders
Finley McAllister (Man U)
Michael Golding (Chelsea)
Sam Amo-Ameyaw (Southampton)
Reiss-Alexander Denny (Chelsea)
Myles Lewis-Skelly (Arsenal)
Chris Rigg (Sunderland)

Forwards
Tyler Dibling (Southampton)
Justin Oboavwoduo (Man C)
Joel Ndala (Man C)
Archie Stevens (Rangers)
Matty Warhurst (Man City)
Ethan Nwaneri (Arsenal)

How many will make the full time game though?

No British officials at the tournament apart from David Coote who is there as part of the VAR team and only 5 European teams at the finals.

The 6 group winners and runners up plus the 4 best 3rd placed sides will progress to the knockout stages

Group A
Morocco, Indonesia, Ecuador, Panama

Group B
Spain, Mali, Uzbekistan, Canada

Group C
England, Brazil, Iran, New Caledonia

Group D
Senegal, Argentina, Japan, Poland

Group E
France, USA, South Korea, Burkina Faso

Group F
Venezuela, Mexico, Germany, New Zealand

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 15 Nov 2023 14:29

Thanks for the info. :D

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 16 Nov 2023 09:01

Bellingham, Saka, Rice, Foden. Now maybe add Cole Palmer. And Levi Colwill is supposed to be the next great England defender. Rico Lewis is 18 years old and has played ten times for City already this season. Trent Alexander-Arnold, Reece James is he can get back to his best. In the under-21s there is Harwood-Bellis, Livramento, Quansah, Elliott. Liam Delap highly though of at City too.

Really is a special group of young players we have right now.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 16 Nov 2023 09:33

Sanguine Bellingham, Saka, Rice, Foden. Now maybe add Cole Palmer. And Levi Colwill is supposed to be the next great England defender. Rico Lewis is 18 years old and has played ten times for City already this season. Trent Alexander-Arnold, Reece James is he can get back to his best. In the under-21s there is Harwood-Bellis, Livramento, Quansah, Elliott. Liam Delap highly though of at City too.

Yes, should be a very attractive proposition for a top manager.

Who do you see as the goalkeeper in waiting? Don't think Pope is the man.... Trafford, Johnstone maybe?

I don't have a problem with Pickford personally but he's certainly not world class.

(Wes Foderingham has made 10 more saves than anyone else in the PL this season!) :D
Last edited by Royal Rother on 16 Nov 2023 09:36, edited 1 time in total.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Nov 2023 09:35

Royal Rother
Sanguine Bellingham, Saka, Rice, Foden. Now maybe add Cole Palmer. And Levi Colwill is supposed to be the next great England defender. Rico Lewis is 18 years old and has played ten times for City already this season. Trent Alexander-Arnold, Reece James is he can get back to his best. In the under-21s there is Harwood-Bellis, Livramento, Quansah, Elliott. Liam Delap highly though of at City too.

Who do you see as the goalkeeper in waiting? Don't think Pope is the man.... Trafford, Johnstone maybe?

Button.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 16 Nov 2023 09:37

Sutekh
Royal Rother

Button.

I was going to add Boyce Clarke to the list for a laugh but decided against it. :D

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 16 Nov 2023 09:37

Royal Rother
Sanguine Bellingham, Saka, Rice, Foden. Now maybe add Cole Palmer. And Levi Colwill is supposed to be the next great England defender. Rico Lewis is 18 years old and has played ten times for City already this season. Trent Alexander-Arnold, Reece James if he can get back to his best. In the under-21s there is Harwood-Bellis, Livramento, Quansah, Elliott. Liam Delap highly thought of at City too.

Long-term it will be Trafford I'm sure. I'd actually have Pope now over Pickford. But a bit like in the 90s we are so stacked in goal, albeit at a level below Seaman, Woods, Martyn, Flowers!

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Nov 2023 09:39

Yep and somebody will end up bursting onto the scene as well in the next few years as well. We could really do with a couple of CB's that are best in class coming through. We usually produce several good CB's like we have now (Tomori, White, Stones) but we can't seem to get the best in class like previously with Terry and Ferdinand for example. If we can get that plus a goalkeeper, we should be absolutely fine everywhere else.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Nov 2023 09:45

Sanguine
Royal Rother
Sanguine Bellingham, Saka, Rice, Foden. Now maybe add Cole Palmer. And Levi Colwill is supposed to be the next great England defender. Rico Lewis is 18 years old and has played ten times for City already this season. Trent Alexander-Arnold, Reece James if he can get back to his best. In the under-21s there is Harwood-Bellis, Livramento, Quansah, Elliott. Liam Delap highly thought of at City too.

Long-term it will be Trafford I'm sure. I'd actually have Pope now over Pickford. But a bit like in the 90s we are so stacked in goal, albeit at a level below Seaman, Woods, Martyn, Flowers!

Like the sound of the u17 keeper, Teddy Curd, lots of "tabloid" possibilities with that name.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 16 Nov 2023 10:19

Sutekh
Sanguine
Royal Rother

Like the sound of the u17 keeper, Teddy Curd, lots of "tabloid" possibilities with that name.

Currently at Hashtag United, which as a tangent was initially a club formed by Youtubers that played charity games, but joined the Essex league and through three promotions finds itself in the Isthmian Premier League (tier 7!) this season - in no small part down to some significant investment, Cezar Azpilicueta has put some money into the club. The club can also boast a Somalian international in London-based Sak Hassan, he scored in AFCON qualification this year - not bad for someone playing in the 9th tier last season! And some chap called Greg Halford.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 16 Nov 2023 11:50

The Setford brothers worth keeping an eye on too. Both born in the Netherlands to English parents, and both goalkeepers, Charlie (19) and Tommy (17) have both represented England's age group sides, and both play for Jong Ajax.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 16 Nov 2023 12:26

Sanguine The Setford brothers worth keeping an eye on too. Both born in the Netherlands to English parents, and both goalkeepers, Charlie (19) and Tommy (17) have both represented England's age group sides, and both play for Jong Ajax.

Hmm, I wonder if they would qualify as English in the SCR litmus test.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 16 Nov 2023 13:52

YorkshireRoyal99

Yep and somebody will end up bursting onto the scene as well in the next few years as well. We could really do with a couple of CB's that are best in class coming through. We usually produce several good CB's like we have now (Tomori, White, Stones) but we can't seem to get the best in class like previously with Terry and Ferdinand for example. If we can get that plus a goalkeeper, we should be absolutely fine everywhere else.

We need a centre forward to come through in the next 18mths to put pressure on Kane..

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 16 Nov 2023 15:31

6ft Kerplunk
YorkshireRoyal99

We need a centre forward to come through in the next 18mths to put pressure on Kane..

If Ivan Toney can come back and start scoring again, you've got to think it's only a matter of time before someone like Chelsea, Arsenal or Spurs go after him. Got a really good goalscoring record at Brentford and you'd hope he can continue you that at a bigger club. I'd have hoped Tammy Abraham might have been able to be his understudy, but he hasn't been that prolific at Roma and has suffered a pretty nasty injury as well. Granted, neither of those are hardly "up and coming" anymore considering they are 27 and 26 respectively.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 16 Nov 2023 16:29

Sutekh
Sanguine
Royal Rother

Fwiw, there's a 16 year old Man City keeper, also English, called Thorsten Spike Brits.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 17 Nov 2023 11:48

YorkshireRoyal99
6ft Kerplunk
YorkshireRoyal99

If Ivan Toney can come back and start scoring again, you've got to think it's only a matter of time before someone like Chelsea, Arsenal or Spurs go after him. Got a really good goalscoring record at Brentford and you'd hope he can continue you that at a bigger club. I'd have hoped Tammy Abraham might have been able to be his understudy, but he hasn't been that prolific at Roma and has suffered a pretty nasty injury as well. Granted, neither of those are hardly "up and coming" anymore considering they are 27 and 26 respectively.

It needs to be an Owen\Rooney teenager coming though I think. Preferably one that's lightening quick as we'd be devastatingly quick in attack with Saka, Rashford and a pacey centre forward.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 17 Nov 2023 12:12

I doubt Rashford has much of a part to play in England's future.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Nov 2023 18:39

Well that was a dreary less than convincing pile of poo against 171st ranked Malta.

3599 posts