Euro 2016 Thread

1464 posts
Starfish
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Euro 2016 Thread

by Starfish » 08 Sep 2014 15:54

exileinleeds Imagine watching a game of football while having a beer and a cigarette if you want?

The Bundesliga. Every weekend.

I am still waiting for confirmation that I am getting a ticket for the Germany - Ireland game (on October 14th). The FAI are so incredibly slow. I suppose it's not too bad for me as it's a case of booking a train ticket, but for people in Ireland, it must be pretty irritating not to know six weeks before the game whether you have a ticket or not. I read on a forum today that it's par for the course for people travelling away with the Irish national team, but it's pretty unprofessional imho.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 08 Sep 2014 19:09

Watching SSNHQ - England formation announced and just puts me off watching even watching a minute of it. It will be the same old soulless, passionless drivel. Plus I'd rather not see Welbeck play, least convincing striker I've seen for a long time (at that level)

Also seeing the team step of the coach. Each with stupidly big headphones on and tiny wash bags. Nothing bout this squad inspires support, likability or even pride amongst the general population

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 08 Sep 2014 19:42

ITV pundits just got soaked by the sprinklers which raised a smile.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Sep 2014 19:56

bobby1413 Watching SSNHQ - England formation announced and just puts me off watching even watching a minute of it. It will be the same old soulless, passionless drivel. Plus I'd rather not see Welbeck play, least convincing striker I've seen for a long time (at that level)

Also seeing the team step of the coach. Each with stupidly big headphones on and tiny wash bags. Nothing bout this squad inspires support, likability or even pride amongst the general population

Welbeck's a bit of a Heskey... not particularly good at anything, particularly scoring, but brings the best out of his striking partner. The best team doesn't necessarily have the best individuals. Something 'Arry and the Press often miss.

I think we've got a tasty, if narrow, looking midfield. Plenty of skill and drive in there. And we've always been strong at full back when pushing on, so that does give us some width at least.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 08 Sep 2014 20:05

Delph won't finish this game. He's lucky to still be on the field.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Sep 2014 20:09

Royal Ginger Delph won't finish this game. He's lucky to still be on the field.

Agreed, showing his inexperience there. Other than him it's Captain Worldclass that looks like a nervous debutant. Oh, and the Swiss are doing a great job of marking Wilshere out of the game in that deep position forcing the CBs to go long or go wide.

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by brighton_royal » 08 Sep 2014 20:14

Rooney looking like a decent pub footballer.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 08 Sep 2014 20:24

With Delph and Jones trying to get sent off, Welbeck running like a headless chicken and Rooney forgetting how to do football, I'd say Baines and Cahill are the only players doing alright. Good job the Swiss are dreadful.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 08 Sep 2014 20:43

Baines doing alright? He couldn't cross a road.

Stones looking decent out of position.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 08 Sep 2014 20:45

Fair point about his crossing, I just thought he was al least getting into some decent positions and looking creative.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Sep 2014 20:49

To be honest, I liked the way we played against Norway and I like the way we're playing now. It's by no means the final product and much to do to get it there, but it shows an early stage of plenty of promise. Certainly far better than the plodding clueless fare we've had over the Golden Generation years.

We look slick in possession, but we're just not quite tuned in to each other in the final third, with Rooney continuing to look nothing like the huge name striker he's supposed to be. Still, if you don't get great service you can't be expected to do huge amounts. Although he's had a couple of decent chances he's been very unconvincing on. Also not quite moving the ball quick enough at the back and showing for it well enough.

More training and more matches should help get there.

Hart - good
Stones - needs to be a bit more involved, but he's the least experienced isn't he?
Baines - good
Jones - one step away from a screw up. Should have scored, doesn't look like a CB who's played in midfield and at fullback.
Cahill - fine
Wilshere - mostly marked out of it, not the fulcrum for me. Needs to show more, but needs the CBs to be sharper and Delph and Henderson to move the Swiss around too.
Henderson - not involved enough, might be due to a lack of trust in involving Stones?
Delph - drifted out the game after putting himself on notice for a red.
Stirling - ok, getting fouled a lot and not enough space
Welbeck - working hard, doing ok, but showing his limitations
Rooney - should have volley his first chance, should have been going far post for another etc

Overall, I'll give that a 6.5/10

T.O.G.

by T.O.G. » 08 Sep 2014 20:56

Oh well there's always 2020 to look forward to :roll:

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 08 Sep 2014 20:59

I think that's a very good rundown of the performances. There does seem to be a reluctance to pass to Stones.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 08 Sep 2014 21:13

I dislike Lichtsteiner as a footballer, so quite glad his being out of position lead to the goal.

brighton_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by brighton_royal » 08 Sep 2014 21:22

Oh good james milner

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 08 Sep 2014 21:42

England actually look like they could be good if they got to play together more often. Half way there.

But we are playing a game style that looks half like a top premier league side at the moment. Will still get undone by big european sides, but meh it's at least more enjoyable.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 08 Sep 2014 21:45

Ian Royal
bobby1413 Watching SSNHQ - England formation announced and just puts me off watching even watching a minute of it. It will be the same old soulless, passionless drivel. Plus I'd rather not see Welbeck play, least convincing striker I've seen for a long time (at that level)

Welbeck's a bit of a Heskey... not particularly good at anything, particularly scoring, but brings the best out of his striking partner. The best team doesn't necessarily have the best individuals. Something 'Arry and the Press often miss.

I think we've got a tasty, if narrow, looking midfield. Plenty of skill and drive in there. And we've always been strong at full back when pushing on, so that does give us some width at least.

Good scoring record for someone who isn't particularly good at anything, particularly scoring.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 08 Sep 2014 21:46

Welbeck is a decent player just not well suited to Man U which is odd considering they created him, will score plenty for Arsenal.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 08 Sep 2014 21:48

Starfish
exileinleeds Imagine watching a game of football while having a beer and a cigarette if you want?

The Bundesliga. Every weekend.

Reading Town FC. Every weekend.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 08 Sep 2014 21:50

Raheem Sterling is a ridiculous footballer. Has the worst game of his season so far and still looks the class player on the pitch and plays a big part in both goals.

Thought England were very good tonight.

1464 posts