372 posts
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: WC 2014 Match 22 - Uruguay vs England

by sandman » 20 Jun 2014 21:27

multisync1830
sandman
multisync1830 really really really want to see Suarez cry again

If he doesn't win the player of the tournament it'll be a crime.

Can we have three cheers for Suarez? Hip hip...

he's played one game and scored 2 goals against a shite team...wow wee woo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpWUaRtZ-JU&feature=kp

multisync1830
Hob Nob Regular

by multisync1830 » 26 Jun 2014 18:12

sandman

:lol:

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 26 Jun 2014 20:27

multisync1830
sandman

:lol:

Have you only just got the Mike Bassett joke then?

Whatevs

by Whatevs » 26 Jun 2014 22:35

Do you think the England players will be booed when the prem kicks off again? Or have people just accepted that England are shit

multisync1830
Hob Nob Regular

by multisync1830 » 28 Jun 2014 23:09

Kitsondinho

He will when they win it on 13th July :wink:

How's it going with your prediction btw :lol:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 28 Jun 2014 23:50

I find myself in an odd position. I have been saying England are shit for at least 10 years.

But I think the amount if criticism this time around is ridiculous.

I thought we played pretty well in the 1st 2 games, certainly the best I've seen from us at a tournament for many years. And no, that's not saying a lot, I know!

But I thought there was a good deal of promise shown. Sure, Rooney was a bit rubbish against Italy, and we had real problems down our left in defence, but I found myself reasonably satisfied with the level of skill, passing, ball control and movement. (Not completely, but reasonably...)

And I thought Gerrard played as well as anyone could have expected. Sure he doesn't get around the pitch much but who expected him to do that? I also thought his long raking passes were as good and accurate as he has EVER produced for England. Pin point accuracy time after time.

I'm not one for RTGs when it comes to England and it will be no surprise that I forecast us to go out at the group stage but I really didn't think we were that bad in Brazil and indeed COULD be said to have been a little unfortunate in the 1st 2 games.

(I didn't see the Costa Rica game.)

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 29 Jun 2014 00:19

A World Cup held in a tropical region of the western hemisphere is always going to difficult on European teams. As the results showed it was. Just like teams from the Americas usually always struggle when the WC is held in Europe. And playing in the tropical rainforest that is Manaus (which both the US and England had to) is a killer. All the teams who played there lost their next game except for Portugal. And they won because the Ghanaian team was in the process of imploding. I think if this WC had been played in Europe the results for England would have been much different for the better. In a sense they were a bit unlucky. Every mistake they made cost them dearly, other teams (re: the US) still got through despite the mistakes they made.

Whatevs

by Whatevs » 29 Jun 2014 09:45

cheers lads...leaving me hanging on page 19 4fs

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 29 Jun 2014 14:24

Whatevs Do you think the England players will be booed when the prem kicks off again? Or have people just accepted that England are shit

The later. Plus, people care more for their clubs than England so wouldn't wish to demotivate their players. Plus, many people wear blinkers and think England players did Ok or will come good.

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 29 Jun 2014 14:52

Libertine A World Cup held in a tropical region of the western hemisphere is always going to difficult on European teams. As the results showed it was. Just like teams from the Americas usually always struggle when the WC is held in Europe. And playing in the tropical rainforest that is Manaus (which both the US and England had to) is a killer. All the teams who played there lost their next game except for Portugal. And they won because the Ghanaian team was in the process of imploding. I think if this WC had been played in Europe the results for England would have been much different for the better. In a sense they were a bit unlucky. Every mistake they made cost them dearly, other teams (re: the US) still got through despite the mistakes they made.

There is no doubt that some teams have had luck in where they have had to play and others haven't. Argentina have played all their games in the cooler areas for instance. Whether by accident or design?

Whatevs

by Whatevs » 29 Jun 2014 16:14

Man Friday
Whatevs Do you think the England players will be booed when the prem kicks off again? Or have people just accepted that England are shit

The later. Plus, people care more for their clubs than England so wouldn't wish to demotivate their players. Plus, many people wear blinkers and think England players did Ok or will come good.

only about 5/6 teams had players representing England

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Jun 2014 17:11

Man Friday

They certainly didn't play as badly as at the previous world cup.

372 posts