Hob Nob Legend

Re: World Cup 2018

by Sanguine » 06 Oct 2017 09:16

Winston Biscuit Venezuela 0-0 Uruguay
Bolivia 0-0 Brazil
Chile 2-1 Ecuador
Argentina 0-0 Peru
Colombia 1-2 Paraguay

Argies drop out of even the play off place with 1 match to go. close enough that the last games on Tuesday see 3rd placed down to 7th fighting over who goes to Russia. Argentina go away to Ecuador, with altitude often causing away teams a problem

Yeah, all to play for - if the Argies win they are through, as Peru and Colombia play each other. If they draw then (I think) they need Colombia to beat Peru and Venezuela (who are bottom of the table) to get something in Paraguay.

Chile are currently third but go to Brazil in their final game and can still go out if Argentina, Paraguay and Peru/Colombia win.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Oct 2017 09:17

bcubed Wasn't watching it too closely but it wasn't that bad and the job was done
It's never easy against a team that sits back.
We'll be better when we get to a knockout stage!

Rashford looked good. Kane although he scored not at his best

Wouldn't say Slovenia sat back, they had more chances than us.

It was that bad.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 06 Oct 2017 09:18

bcubed We'll be better when we get to a knockout stage!

Are you new around here?

I had a fun night watching football last night, even though I think Scotland's campaign will be ultimately fruitless once they contrive to blow it on Sunday, or even more likely, in the playoffs.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 06 Oct 2017 09:20

Probably mentioned, but the Netherlands are as good as out. They need to gain 3 points and 6 goals on Sweden, but the Swedes have Luxembourg next. The Dutch are probably going to need a 4-0 or 5-0 win over Sweden in the last game to qualify.

double d

by double d » 06 Oct 2017 09:25

Syria draw with the Aussie 1-1 to leave them with a chance of qualifying still. Just hope Peru qualify ahead.of Argentina in the play off spot.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 06 Oct 2017 09:30

Bit of a rant again, I know The Cap enjoys them :wink:

I did LOL last night when numerous tweets were calling for Southgate to be sacked. How terrible a manager he is, how boring the football is and a lot of comparisons to Reading.

A few points:

When, in recent times, has watching England been exciting or fun? In fact when was the last period it was good?

Comparing this whole "sack the manager" thing to say, a sales team:

---> The sales team are consistently under performing, they've not met their target once in the last year
---> Sack the manager of the department as he's not really doing the job for us

---> One year later... the sales team STILL are not hitting targets. In fact they lack passion and seem to not really be interested
---> Sack the manager again, this one really isn't right.

---> One year later... STILL they're not performing. This is strange as they are the 11 best sales people in the country, and we pay them more than anyone else in the country.
---> Either way, sack the sales manager, he's terrible

One year later...

Well, you get the idea

At what point do people actually stop looking at the managers and actually look more at the players? Or at the culture of England football which seems to me these days to be a bit of a chore for the big named footballers who are more interested in club football.

double d

by double d » 06 Oct 2017 09:39

It's like somebody else said a few pages back. When you take the international players away from our home grown players in the club teams, they are nothing more then a bang average middle of the road nation. Kane is probably our best player and even then he would struggle to get into the top European sides.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Oct 2017 09:47

bobby1413 Bit of a rant again, I know The Cap enjoys them :wink:

I did LOL last night when numerous tweets were calling for Southgate to be sacked. How terrible a manager he is, how boring the football is and a lot of comparisons to Reading.

A few points:

When, in recent times, has watching England been exciting or fun? In fact when was the last period it was good?

Comparing this whole "sack the manager" thing to say, a sales team:

---> The sales team are consistently under performing, they've not met their target once in the last year
---> Sack the manager of the department as he's not really doing the job for us

---> One year later... the sales team STILL are not hitting targets. In fact they lack passion and seem to not really be interested
---> Sack the manager again, this one really isn't right.

---> One year later... STILL they're not performing. This is strange as they are the 11 best sales people in the country, and we pay them more than anyone else in the country.
---> Either way, sack the sales manager, he's terrible

One year later...

Well, you get the idea

At what point do people actually stop looking at the managers and actually look more at the players? Or at the culture of England football which seems to me these days to be a bit of a chore for the big named footballers who are more interested in club football.

What a complete load of old tosh.

It is the FA's fault for putting Southgate in that position when he is neither qualified or suitable for the job. Southgate needs to go immediately and be replaced with a manager who is a motivator of people. Sticking up for Southgate is laughable.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 06 Oct 2017 14:41

Old Man Andrews What a complete load of old tosh.

It is the FA's fault for putting Southgate in that position when he is neither qualified or suitable for the job. Southgate needs to go immediately and be replaced with a manager who is a motivator of people. Sticking up for Southgate is laughable.

I quite like a lot of what Southgate does and says but I've never been that comfortable with his judgement or gut feel for making things happen. The managerial x-factor that I guess you either have or haven't got.

I don't really blame the FA though. We've had 20 or 30 years with very few moments of success (El Tel, Hoddle and a few games under Sir Bobby the only real highlights) and so it has to be a wider issue than the current manager or group of players.

In a way the build-up/reaction over the last 48 hours possibly sums it up. I keep reading and hearing that we have no expectations for World Cup success or for any international game to be exciting, and we're just not any good, however, we don't get behind the team or give them any credit for achieving anything and so is it surprising that they still play with so much fear and lack of zest?

If we're that bad then we should be happy with the fact we've cruised through qualification, not lambaste them for being crap (even though performances have been, I'm not suggesting they aren't). Instead all we seem to hear is how bad we are, how poor performances are and how we should be so much better. That's no environment to encourage good performances and a bit of creativity.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 06 Oct 2017 14:46

st8ing the obvious:

1. England are awful to watch.
2. England qualified with ease. This is a regular occurrence.
3, England in the tournaments proper are excruciating to watch. Please, please, please can it be different next time.

Oh, the most obvious point: ITV need to lose the contract, they are abysmal. Give it to Sky, or the BBC.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 06 Oct 2017 16:03

These last few games kind of highlight why Hodgson was so keen to take the gamble on Jack Wilshire too.

How England could do with him fit and in form (and Barkley and Lallana for that matter).

double d

by double d » 06 Oct 2017 17:24

Football fever here in cape verde. They have all gone mad and really believe they can qualify this year. They are not a bad team and i think are ranked quite highly for their groups. Really good to see a nation so passionate about football. Something we lack

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 06 Oct 2017 17:57

Tbh I find it "tosh" that fans continually blame one manager when about 20 players are actually on the pitch ... over the course of a few games.

Tell me Old Man, who would you appoint seeing as it's the manager who is so clearly at fault. As I would point out that prevous and current managers include:

Southgate - 8 games in charge and a fairly successful term with the Under 21s
Big Sam - bit of a void this one for obvious reasons
Roy Hodgson - 56 games in charge
Fabio Capello - 42 years in charge
Steve McClaren - 18 games in charge
Sven Goran-Eriksson - 67 games in charge
Kevin Kegan - 18 games in charge
Glenn Hoddle - 28 games in charge

At what point do you stop blaming the manager, and start blaming the overpaid, useless, weak willed, spineless, wet blanket players on the pitch.

Instead of saying "i'm talking tosh" ... give a proper reasoning

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 06 Oct 2017 18:09

bobby1413

Tbh I find it "tosh" that fans continually blame one manager when about 20 players are actually on the pitch ... over the course of a few games.

Tell me Old Man, who would you appoint seeing as it's the manager who is so clearly at fault. As I would point out that prevous and current managers include:

Southgate - 8 games in charge and a fairly successful term with the Under 21s
Big Sam - bit of a void this one for obvious reasons
Roy Hodgson - 56 games in charge
Fabio Capello - 42 years in charge
Steve McClaren - 18 games in charge
Sven Goran-Eriksson - 67 games in charge
Kevin Kegan - 18 games in charge
Glenn Hoddle - 28 games in charge

At what point do you stop blaming the manager, and start blaming the overpaid, useless, weak willed, spineless, wet blanket players on the pitch.

Instead of saying "i'm talking tosh" ... give a proper reasoning

I gave you the reason why he should go. He clearly cannot motivate the players, he is potentially the worst manager England have ever had. By blindly supporting him you are just part of the problem. Part of me thinks you're joking in order to try and be funny but sadly I think you may be for real.

In terms of a replacement we have to go with someone who is a master motivator and somewhat/very experienced in international football. Their nationality shouldn't matter either, should be best person for the job. I would have a serious go at stealing Chris Coleman from Wales. You can't argue with the job he has done with that side, has to be a good motivator of players.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 06 Oct 2017 18:16

You lot make me laugh.....you've qualified and your moaning......I'm sitting here watching the longest 10 minutes ever 1-0 up no nails left.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 06 Oct 2017 18:17

Old Man Andrews I gave you the reason why he should go. He clearly cannot motivate the players, he is potentially the worst manager England have ever had. By blindly supporting him you are just part of the problem. Part of me thinks you're joking in order to try and be funny but sadly I think you may be for real.

In terms of a replacement we have to go with someone who is a master motivator and somewhat/very experienced in international football. Their nationality shouldn't matter either, should be best person for the job. I would have a serious go at stealing Chris Coleman from Wales. You can't argue with the job he has done with that side, has to be a good motivator of players.

I couldn't be further from "blindly supporting him". I hate England football and never support them, I didn't watch last night and feel no passion at all for the team.

I respect your views but I ask you, what do you do? Fans like you continually seem to blame managers. At what point do you look at the mega rich, talented stars who are actually ON THE PITCH and start blaming them?

Southgate is the best prospect in my view. Please name an alternative who will suddenly make England exciting, attractive, intense, dominating or at the very least, better.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 06 Oct 2017 18:18

Old Man Andrews I gave you the reason why he should go. He clearly cannot motivate the players, he is potentially the worst manager England have ever had. By blindly supporting him you are just part of the problem. Part of me thinks you're joking in order to try and be funny but sadly I think you may be for real.

I couldn't be further from "blindly supporting him". I hate England football and never support them, I didn't watch last night and feel no passion at all for the team.

I respect your views but I ask you, what do you do? Fans like you continually seem to blame managers. At what point do you look at the mega rich, talented stars who are actually ON THE PITCH and start blaming them?

Southgate is the best prospect in my view. Please name an alternative who will suddenly make England exciting, attractive, intense, dominating or at the very least, better.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 06 Oct 2017 18:19

FFS bring on Woodburn, Coleman........

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 06 Oct 2017 18:19

Ascotexgunner You lot make me laugh.....you've qualified and your moaning......I'm sitting here watching the longest 10 minutes ever 1-0 up no nails left.

I'm moaning because I don't care either way. I was hoping England would lose

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 06 Oct 2017 18:21

FFS this is unbearable........thank god their shit up front that was nailed on 1-1

1412 posts