The WC brings out the worst in some talolented players

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: World Cup 2018

by Scutterbucketz » 21 Jun 2018 11:38

Sanguine
Scutterbucketz
genome
My biggest (irrational) bugbear with VAR. It's just a big buzzkill.

It’s every goal time a goal is scored you’re thinking it’s going to be disallowed. I’ll not allow myself to truly celebrate just incase I boot a pint glass across the room and then have to go and ignominiously clean it up 3 minutes later.

Why would you think a goal is going to be disallowed, unless there is already reason to believe so?

It’s not hard to work out, Sanguine; possibly that the 6 or so cameras on the ball and the team of people analysis get the footage might have spotted some minor infringement that escaped me in drunken real time.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Jun 2018 11:39

Sanguine I mean, genome is literally complaining that the right decision was made on the Iran 'goal'. Bizarre.

Thought you'd pipe up. That's not actually what I was complaining about, unless you're strawmanning/can't read properly.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 21 Jun 2018 11:41

John Madejski's Wallet Yeah VAR seemed to work ok for the Iran goal

Though I have no idea what the point of a linesman is nowadays. Don't even bother flagging champ, VAR will decide....

Ultimately, it was the right decision. It’s just incredibly painful to watch players practically crying in celebration and then it all be for nothing. It’s also a little bit funny, but it won’t be when it’s England’s turn.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 21 Jun 2018 11:55

Scutterbucketz
Sanguine
Scutterbucketz
It’s every goal time a goal is scored you’re thinking it’s going to be disallowed. I’ll not allow myself to truly celebrate just incase I boot a pint glass across the room and then have to go and ignominiously clean it up 3 minutes later.

Why would you think a goal is going to be disallowed, unless there is already reason to believe so?

It’s not hard to work out, Sanguine; possibly that the 6 or so cameras on the ball and the team of people analysis get the footage might have spotted some minor infringement that escaped me in drunken real time.

Each to their own. I know that even sober I'm not watching football matches thinking about VAR. When a goal goes in I celebrate and I can't see that changing.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 21 Jun 2018 11:57

genome
Sanguine I mean, genome is literally complaining that the right decision was made on the Iran 'goal'. Bizarre.

Thought you'd pipe up. That's not actually what I was complaining about, unless you're strawmanning/can't read properly.

In essence you were. Your suggestion was that we would be better off without VAR because it took so long, irrespective of whether it helped with the decision.

And either way, it's a minute, ffs.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Jun 2018 12:07

Sanguine
genome

In essence you were. Your suggestion was that we would be better off without VAR because it took so long, irrespective of whether it helped with the decision.

And either way, it's a minute, ffs.

Again, not what I was saying.

I don't think you'll ever empathise with the emotional argument against VAR, so the discussion is pointless

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 21 Jun 2018 13:00

Sanguine
Scutterbucketz
Sanguine

Each to their own. I know that even sober I'm not watching football matches thinking about VAR. When a goal goes in I celebrate and I can't see that changing.

I usually wait to see the lino before going completely spastic

Been caught out so many times (esp when at the ground)

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 21 Jun 2018 14:41

An Australian just disloc8ed his shoulder. It was hard to see how it could have happened as it was just going down on his arm in very normal fashion, but you could see his arm go all funny after. vomit.gif

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 21 Jun 2018 15:01

At the 21st attempt I finally get a score right in my predictions!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Jun 2018 15:05

Scutterbucketz
John Madejski's Wallet Yeah VAR seemed to work ok for the Iran goal

Though I have no idea what the point of a linesman is nowadays. Don't even bother flagging champ, VAR will decide....

Ultimately, it was the right decision. It’s just incredibly painful to watch players practically crying in celebration and then it all be for nothing. It’s also a little bit funny, but it won’t be when it’s England’s turn.

But. And again people seem to be completely ignoring this fact:

The linesman had flagged it offside. Even without VAR, the Iran goal would not have stood.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Jun 2018 15:07

Interesting* point on VAR made on the 5 live commentary just now. Everytime the ref is called over to the TV to check for a pen, he has given it. Would take a brave ref to view the footage and disagree I guess.

May well save time just to give the pen when VAR give the nod.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 21 Jun 2018 15:09

Stranded Interesting* point on VAR made on the 5 live commentary just now. Everytime the ref is called over to the TV to check for a pen, he has given it. Would take a brave ref to view the footage and disagree I guess.

Fair point to make I guess, but given VAR is used only when the VAR officials think something has been missed, it shouldn't be a surprise that most (or all) are given.

If/when VAR works properly (and I think it has worked well in the World Cup) then the VAR officials won't refer anything that they don't think is nailed on.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Jun 2018 15:18

Sanguine
Stranded Interesting* point on VAR made on the 5 live commentary just now. Everytime the ref is called over to the TV to check for a pen, he has given it. Would take a brave ref to view the footage and disagree I guess.

Fair point to make I guess, but given VAR is used only when the VAR officials think something has been missed, it shouldn't be a surprise that most (or all) are given.

If/when VAR works properly (and I think it has worked well in the World Cup) then the VAR officials won't refer anything that they don't think is nailed on.

That's the key point I guess. The VAR guys are convinced so the ref will give it once he's seen the footage.

They could just cut out that aspect and say "Mark, there was a handball on your blindside there, give the pen" but I guess they want to ensure the on-pitch ref has primacy.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 21 Jun 2018 17:34

Stranded
Sanguine

That's the key point I guess. The VAR guys are convinced so the ref will give it once he's seen the footage.

They could just cut out that aspect and say "Mark, there was a handball on your blindside there, give the pen" but I guess they want to ensure the on-pitch ref has primacy.

I suspect once everyone is used to it that will happen, it's just a case of present a single point of authority for the time being, and potentially managing some ref egos about being overruled and made to look stupid or useless.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 21 Jun 2018 19:28

LOL at the Argie defence. It's like watching us..... :D

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 21 Jun 2018 19:57

Silver Fox At the 21st attempt I finally get a score right in my predictions!
....still no luck for me; languishing a distant 5th (and last) in the FoCcers Family Forecasts :( :?

.... been undone by a fair number of late sickeners too ('appy 'arry f'rinstance vs Tunisia)

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 21 Jun 2018 20:08

Four Of Clubs
Silver Fox At the 21st attempt I finally get a score right in my predictions!
....still no luck for me; languishing a distant 5th (and last) in the FoCcers Family Forecasts :( :?

.... been undone by a fair number of late sickeners too ('appy 'arry f'rinstance vs Tunisia)

lols was trying to work out what the opposite of a Henman fist pump would be...

I was thinking JTerry crying

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Jun 2018 20:17

What a shit Chelsea cnut

1412 posts