Belgium
England
Tunisia
Panama

Colombia
Poland
Japan
Senegal

So in your opinion there will be absolutely no surprises at all in the group stages and all the fancied sides will get through?

Because that always happens doesn't it................

What do you think will happen then, Expert at football?

Old Man Andrews

Re: World Cup 2018

by Old Man Andrews » 08 May 2018 09:02

Double d v2
Old Man Andrews
Double d v2 WC 2018 group predictions:

Uruguay
Russia
Egypt
Saudi Arabia

Spain
Portugal
Morocco
Iran

France
Denmark
Aus
Peru

Argentina
Iceland
Croatia
Nigeria

Brazil
Switzerland
Serbia
Costa rica

Germany
Mexico
Sweden
South Korea

Belgium
England
Tunisia
Panama

Colombia
Poland
Japan
Senegal

So in your opinion there will be absolutely no surprises at all in the group stages and all the fancied sides will get through?

I am not an expert there just are always a couple of surprises at the World Cup.

I think Serbia might do very well. Can see Egypt qualifying ahead of Russia too which will go down really well over there.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 May 2018 11:16

Old Man Andrews
Double d v2
Old Man Andrews

I am not an expert there just are always a couple of surprises at the World Cup.

I think Serbia might do very well. Can see Egypt qualifying ahead of Russia too which will go down really well over there.

Quite a lot riding on how Mo Salah plays IMO. If he continues his league form then there is no reason why the couldn't qualify second. Russia aren't a great side for me, no stand out players at all.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 May 2018 11:20

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
Double d v2

Quite a lot riding on how Mo Salah plays IMO. If he continues his league form then there is no reason why the couldn't qualify second. Russia aren't a great side for me, no stand out players at all.

I worry we may get a repeat of the 2002 World Cup when it comes to the Russian team. Lets just say the officiating left a lot to be desired in the South Korea games, bordered on the scandelous against Italy (I think it was Italy). I think help from the officials is the only way that Russian team is qualifying for the 2nd round, like you say they aren't a great side at all.

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 08 May 2018 11:37

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Old Man Andrews

I worry we may get a repeat of the 2002 World Cup when it comes to the Russian team. Lets just say the officiating left a lot to be desired in the South Korea games, bordered on the scandelous against Italy (I think it was Italy). I think help from the officials is the only way that Russian team is qualifying for the 2nd round, like you say they aren't a great side at all.

I remember one South Korean player who played for Perugia scored to knock them out, and he then got blacklisted from ever playing in Italy again.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 16 May 2018 10:19

Double d v2
I remember one South Korean player who played for Perugia scored to knock them out, and he then got blacklisted from ever playing in Italy again.

Not quite what happened. The Perugia chairman sacked Ahn for "destroying Italian football" then changed his mind (mainly because he was their best player and the decision didn't go down well with the fans) and offered him a new contract. Ahn, not unreasonably, told them to fcuk off so they refused to release his registration unless he paid them $1.2m, which he didn't.
Last edited by From Despair To Where? on 16 May 2018 10:26, edited 1 time in total.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 16 May 2018 10:20

Also, the ref in that Korea - Italy game has now got a conviction for drug smuggling.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 May 2018 14:24

England Squad

Goalkeepers:

1. Jack Butland
  2. Jordan Pickford
  3. Nick Pope

Defenders:

1. Trent Alexander-Arnold
  2. Gary Cahill
  3. Fabian Delph
  4. Phil Jones
  5. Harry Maguire
  6. Danny Rose
  7. John Stones
  8. Kieran Trippier
  9. Kyle Walker
  10. Ashley Young
Midfielders:

1. Dele Alli
  2. Eric Dier
  3. Jordan Henderson
  4. Jesse Lingard
  5. Ruben Loftus-Cheek
Forwards:

1. Harry Kane
  2. Marcus Rashford
  3. Raheem Sterling
  4. Jamie Vardy
  5. Danny Welbeck

Stand-by:

1. Tom Heaton
  2. James Tarkowski
  3. Lewis Cook
  4. Jake Livemore
  5. Adam Lallana

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 21 May 2018 13:59

ROFLoberto MaROFLtinez picks Fellaini and Januzaj in his Belgium World Cup squad, and leaves out Radja Nainggolan. :lol: :shock:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 21 May 2018 14:07

Sanguine ROFLoberto MaROFLtinez picks Fellaini and Januzaj in his Belgium World Cup squad, and leaves out Radja Nainggolan. :lol: :shock:

Who then instantly retires from international football.

Spain look strong :?

Goalkeepers: David de Gea (Manchester United), Pepe Reina (Napoli), Kepa Arrizabalaga (Athletic Bilbao).

Defenders: Jordi Alba (Barcelona), Nacho Monreal (Arsenal), Alvaro Odriozola (Real Sociedad), Nacho Fernandez (Real Madrid), Dani Carvajal (Real Madrid), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea).

Midfielders: Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Isco (Real Madrid), Thiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich), David Silva (Manchester City), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Saul Niguez (Atletico Madrid), Koke (Atletico Madrid).

Forwards: Marco Asensio (Real Madrid), Iago Aspas (Celta Vigo), Diego Costa (Atletico Madrid), Rodrigo Moreno (Valencia), Lucas Vazquez (Real Madrid).

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 21 May 2018 15:09

Hendo
Sanguine ROFLoberto MaROFLtinez picks Fellaini and Januzaj in his Belgium World Cup squad, and leaves out Radja Nainggolan. :lol: :shock:

Goalkeepers: David de Gea (Manchester United), Pepe Reina (Napoli), Kepa Arrizabalaga (Athletic Bilbao).

Defenders: Jordi Alba (Barcelona), Nacho Monreal (Arsenal), Alvaro Odriozola (Real Sociedad), Nacho Fernandez (Real Madrid), Dani Carvajal (Real Madrid), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea).

Midfielders: Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Isco (Real Madrid), Thiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich), David Silva (Manchester City), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Saul Niguez (Atletico Madrid), Koke (Atletico Madrid).

Forwards: Marco Asensio (Real Madrid), Iago Aspas (Celta Vigo), Diego Costa (Atletico Madrid), Rodrigo Moreno (Valencia), Lucas Vazquez (Real Madrid).

They are a bit light up top for me. If/when Costa gets suspended they could be in a bit of trouble.

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 21 May 2018 15:20

Old Man Andrews
Hendo

They are a bit light up top for me. If/when Costa gets suspended they could be in a bit of trouble.

Left out Alonso (harsh) Morata (Justified with Aspas, Moreno, Vazquez and Asensio form and his lack of) Mata (Justified) Fabregas (V Harsh) and Bellerin (Justified)

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 May 2018 16:09

Can't help but feel they're wasting their golden generation with Martinez.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 21 May 2018 18:14

2nd world cup in a row he has missed too. Nainggolan is a sensational footballer, Martinez doesn't like his attitude though and has hardly played him in qualifiers.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 21 May 2018 19:15

Icardi left out of the Argentina squad.

I know someone good has to miss out up front for them, but Icardi?!

Double d v2

by Double d v2 » 21 May 2018 22:44

Winston Biscuit Icardi left out of the Argentina squad.

This wc really has some bizarre omissions.

Icardi
Naingollen
Marco Alonso
Fabregas
Gotze

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 22 May 2018 08:17

Would have been braver of Sampaoli to make 'the Southgate call' and indicate to Higuain, as good as he is, that his international career might be winding up.

Icardi is a strange one though. First - at 25 he only has 4 caps, despite 91 Serie A goals in the last 4 seasons; he must be regretting resisting an approach from Italy (eligible through parentage). Second, he's apparently a bit of a dick off the field, which is most likely the reason for his omission.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 22 May 2018 08:20

Would have left Aguero out as silly as it sounds. They have an embrassment of riches that we can only dream of.
Last edited by Old Man Andrews on 22 May 2018 09:07, edited 1 time in total.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 May 2018 08:48

The Argies front line must be up there with some of the all time great attacking talent at international level. I would have left Higuain at home and taken Icardi btw

Though I do appreciate that some of the 'surprise' omissions are more tactical. You can't just take your 4 best goalscorers, you do have to actually have plans of how they will play together etc.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 22 May 2018 09:03

I don't see Marcos Alonso's omission from the Spain squad as a shock at all tbh. He obviously chips in with goals which help his club side but defensively I just don't rate him and that is what Spain would want him for. I have also read before that the Spanish public don't like him and there is a general feeling that he should not represent the country. getting pissed up and killing someone tends to have that effect.

1412 posts