World Cup 2018

1412 posts
bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: World Cup 2018

by bcubed » 04 Sep 2017 23:38

Admittedly I only watched the second half but I thought they were OK. The movement was pretty good and must have had twenty chances or so to Slovakia's two.

I agree about ITV though - dreadful

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 04 Sep 2017 23:40

Just checked.- 23 shots to 5

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 05 Sep 2017 13:00

LUX England are frustrating to watch, but I'm pretty sure that's 99% ITV's fault.

I'm no Murdoch man, but Sky>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ITV.

There's something in that-I thought Tyldesley was going to die of shock when the Slovakians scored, he really couldn't believe it.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 05 Sep 2017 13:24

bcubed Admittedly I only watched the second half but I thought they were OK. The movement was pretty good and must have had twenty chances or so to Slovakia's two.

I agree about ITV though - dreadful

Your "I only watched the second half" is significant.
I think we looked o.k. in the second half but in the first we were made to look laborious by the clever pass -and- move play of Slovakia and if we hadn't scored just before half-time there would surely have been major unrest amongst the natives at half-time.

Hearing Rashford say this morning that he felt that something special was being built by the manager ahead of the finals was IMHO a bit OTT-I also feel that Southgate was quite good in his interview when playing down the expectations of Rashford who clearly still has a lot to learn even if the media is doing it's usual over-egging of a player's capabilities in the hope that he will be our saviour.
We have done it before with Beckham, Owen, Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney and I hope that Kane, Rashford and Ali will be allowed to be treated as part of a team rather than the one who might win us a world cup.

When we did win the world cup it was very much a team effort as it has been IMHO with Spain and Germany of late.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 05 Sep 2017 15:22

Ascotexgunner Deli Ali appears to be the new Daniel Sturridge. Greedy b#stard.

Dele has more talent in his middle finger than Sturridge has in total.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 05 Sep 2017 20:14

0-0 at half time. I get the feeling this may be the end of the road tonight.
A night to join many other frustrating world cup nights.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 05 Sep 2017 21:04

The ball of death by Woodburn and even HRK cant mess that up. Phew its still on.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 05 Sep 2017 21:11

Phew close at the end....pheonominal save by by Hennesey at the end.

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 06 Sep 2017 06:21

Australia 2- 1 Thailand

Well that was eventful for the Aussies, 40 shots on goal and 70% possesion and the just manage to scrape a 2-1 win over whipping boys Thailand. And the ref made some very, very dodgy decisions in Australia's favour. So a far from convincing performance, Australia needed Japan to at least draw against the Saudi's but Japan are through already ....

Saudi Arabia 1 - 0 Japan

Which sets up Australia vs Syria as the 3rd place playoff decider before the winner goes on to play one of USA, Honduras or Panama.

So the Socceroos (puke) have right royally fcked this one up, what should have been a straight forward qualification from an easy group has turned into likely failure. Pressure is now on the coach who changed Australia's playing system half way through the qualification and has tried to foster a Mourinho like 'us against them' mentality when it really wasn't needed. Nice melt down from the coach at the end of the game to the media as well.

I think we can all agree that the 'right' result is for a Syria win in the playoff.

double d

by double d » 06 Sep 2017 08:11

Syria win the play OFF and then beat usa to qualify. With panama automatically going through.

dean horrix legend

by dean horrix legend » 06 Sep 2017 09:30

Argentina struggling in South American Qualifying. A home draw against Venezuela leaves them in fifth, with two games to go. Next up for them is a game against the team in forth, Peru, lose that and they are looking at a play off place at best.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 06 Sep 2017 11:34

genome
Ascotexgunner Deli Ali appears to be the new Daniel Sturridge. Greedy b#stard.

Dele has more talent in his middle finger than Sturridge has in total.

Does he really though? He's a good player with some nice touches but it appears to me it's his movement and ability to get into goal scoring positions from deep positions ( ala Lampard) that is his forte really. In that sense the comparison in skillset to Sturridge is pretty apt although it's Kane that would more fairly fit the greedy b#stard Sturridge comparison.

I think Dele is an issue for England actually. I can see why Southgate would want him involved but I feel he suffers more than Kane in terms of not having the quality of Eriksen, Dembele and Alderwelreld feeding him.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Sep 2017 12:39

dean horrix legend Argentina struggling in South American Qualifying. A home draw against Venezuela leaves them in fifth, with two games to go. Next up for them is a game against the team in forth, Peru, lose that and they are looking at a play off place at best.

Play-off place is as good as a free pass to the finals though, as it will involve playing New Zealand over 2 legs. Argentina are lucky that Chile lost 1-0 in Bolivia else they would have been in 6th place.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 06 Sep 2017 16:55

Stranded
dean horrix legend Argentina struggling in South American Qualifying. A home draw against Venezuela leaves them in fifth, with two games to go. Next up for them is a game against the team in forth, Peru, lose that and they are looking at a play off place at best.

Play-off place is as good as a free pass to the finals though, as it will involve playing New Zealand over 2 legs. Argentina are lucky that Chile lost 1-0 in Bolivia else they would have been in 6th place.

Their 3rd coach in a year didn't play Aguero or Higuain.
I hope they (and Portugal) do qualify as this could be the last world cup finals for Messi and Ronaldo.

double d

by double d » 05 Oct 2017 12:01

In cape verde atm and they have a home game on this weekend. They actually have decked out the entire hotel with football related flags and selling shirts
I am buying one myself. They are surprisingly not that bad of a nation at football and have beaten South Africa twice in qualifying. Watch the highlights of the 2-1 win. Some really gr8 goals in that game from CV. I hope they qualify for the WC18. They have been in the last 2 AFCON and have not done badly.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 05 Oct 2017 20:34

Another truly dreadful England performance going on I see.

Going to be a brilliantly entertaining World Cup finals appearance for us all. Still at least no one expects anything other than a struggle to get out of the group and the possibility of a last 16 exit.

Gareth Southgate, an England manager :lol:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 06 Oct 2017 04:33

I watched the England game...Slovenia deserved the point.

Yeah they won. And yeah they qualified for the WC. But the performance wouldn't/doesn't fill me with confidence for your chances in 2018. For long stretches the game plan seemed to be each player taking turns trying to do it all on their own and inevitably failing. Another generation not being able to bear the weight of a nation?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 06 Oct 2017 07:04

Wasn't watching it too closely but it wasn't that bad and the job was done
It's never easy against a team that sits back.
We'll be better when we get to a knockout stage!

Rashford looked good. Kane although he scored not at his best

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 06 Oct 2017 07:47

Venezuela 0-0 Uruguay
Bolivia 0-0 Brazil
Chile 2-1 Ecuador
Argentina 0-0 Peru
Colombia 1-2 Paraguay

Argies drop out of even the play off place with 1 match to go. close enough that the last games on Tuesday see 3rd placed down to 7th fighting over who goes to Russia. Argentina go away to Ecuador, with altitude often causing away teams a problem

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 06 Oct 2017 08:59

bcubed Wasn't watching it too closely but it wasn't that bad and the job was done
It's never easy against a team that sits back.
We'll be better when we get to a knockout stage!

Rashford looked good. Kane although he scored not at his best

It was pretty poor, yet again, but I'm not sure we can expect too much more against a side that just doesn't get beat by many and is just there to stifle the game and hang on for as long as possible. They're not a good side, but you don't have to be that good to kill the game in the way they do and we just expect too much because we're used to watching games where two teams are trying to win.

Having said that, this side is obviously suffering from the same stage-fright as previous generations but that's compounded by their lack of quality and flair, especially in the middle of the park where Henderson and Dier is just too negative a combination in games like this.

I'll always hold out hope that when we come up against teams that want to play we'll click into a team that can play. The reality is that I know that's unlikely, but it only takes two or three good performances at a tournament to come out of it as a success (England @ Italia 90 for instance).

1412 posts