England's provisional squad announced

20 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

England's provisional squad announced

by Big Foot » 16 May 2016 11:51

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, Fraser Forster, Tom Heaton.

Defenders: Nathaniel Clyne, Kyle Walker, Gary Cahill, Chris Smalling, John Stones, Ryan Bertrand, Danny Rose.

Midfielders: Dele Alli, Ross Barkley, Fabian Delph, Eric Dier, Danny Drinkwater, Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana, James Milner, Raheem Sterling, Andros Townsend, Jack Wilshere.

Strikers: Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Jamie Vardy.

No real surprises in there for me. Rashford unlikely to make the finals squad, unless Sturridge gets injured (again)

Would expect to see Delph miss out too.

Actual LOL @ West Ham fans crying all over the internet at Cresswell / Antonio missing out :lol: :lol:

double d

Re: England's provisional squad announced

by double d » 17 May 2016 10:20

Big Foot Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, Fraser Forster, Tom Heaton.

Defenders: Nathaniel Clyne, Kyle Walker, Gary Cahill, Chris Smalling, John Stones, Ryan Bertrand, Danny Rose.

Midfielders: Dele Alli, Ross Barkley, Fabian Delph, Eric Dier, Danny Drinkwater, Jordan Henderson, Adam Lallana, James Milner, Raheem Sterling, Andros Townsend, Jack Wilshere.

Strikers: Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Jamie Vardy.

No real surprises in there for me. Rashford unlikely to make the finals squad, unless Sturridge gets injured (again)

Would expect to see Delph miss out too.

Actual LOL @ West Ham fans crying all over the internet at Cresswell / Antonio missing out :lol: :lol:

Decent. Would have expected Mark Noble instead of Well'shite but Roy Hodgson loves him too much.

I wish he had the balls to drop Rooney, honestly based on this season I would not put him even in the squad.

Would be:

Hart
Walker, Cahill, Rose
Drinkwater
Alli, Dier, ????
Vardy, Kane

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 17 May 2016 10:51

double d I wish he had the balls to drop Rooney, honestly based on this season I would not put him even in the squad.

This season where he scored 14 times without playing up front

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 17 May 2016 10:57

Wilshere and Delph over Noble is :lol:

Could also make a case for Defoe over Rashford.

double d

by double d » 17 May 2016 11:02

Silver Fox
double d I wish he had the balls to drop Rooney, honestly based on this season I would not put him even in the squad.

This season where he scored 14 times without playing up front

Means nothing to me..... got two strikers (albeit first big tournament) with 50 goals between them this seasoh.

2 of the best young midfielders in the league (Alli has scored a fair few) and Drinkwater who is a rock this year. Don't need him in the starting 11

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 22 May 2016 11:34

They had better go out looking for goals, because that defence isn't up to much.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 May 2016 13:23

Seriously unimpressed with Rooney on the big stage yesterday. Ambled around doing absolutely nothing until Palace scored and then decided to make one positive run which worked because 3 Palace players slipped and lunged stupidly.

Far better midfielders available. Far better strikers available all who'll actually put the effort in rather than strut about and not deliver.

Only saw the last 20 v Turkey, but they looked a bit of a mess defensively. Vardy and Kane look a right handful though.

harry
Hob Nob Regular

by harry » 22 May 2016 21:02

Ian Royal Seriously unimpressed with Rooney on the big stage yesterday. Ambled around doing absolutely nothing until Palace scored and then decided to make one positive run which worked because 3 Palace players slipped and lunged stupidly.

Far better midfielders available. Far better strikers available all who'll actually put the effort in rather than strut about and not deliver.

Only saw the last 20 v Turkey, but they looked a bit of a mess defensively. Vardy and Kane look a right handful though.

I'd agree about his general performance yesterday, but I think you've underplayed the run. He took on half the Palace team, seemed to be heading into a dead-end then managed to get a decent cross over to Hair Bear at the far post. Decent assist that gave Man U the momentum to go on and win (unfortunately).

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 24 May 2016 15:19

No Nick Blackman?

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 31 May 2016 14:36

Drinkwater and Townsend miss out.

bristolroyal1

by bristolroyal1 » 31 May 2016 14:53

Tough on Townsend, it's very rare we get players that actually shine for England more than their club and he is one of those. Great to see so many good looking options up front though

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 Jun 2016 10:03

The press seem to be a bit desperate already, trying to suggest that Lewington has given the starting line-up away with some notes that were on show as he walked around yesterday.

Now to me that just looks like a plan for a training session with Ray because otherwise it suggests we're play 3 in midfield with 4 up tops.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 08 Jun 2016 11:09

Didn't realise the Euros were being played to playground rules not Fifa's. 13-a-side and Dier as a rush goalie?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Jun 2016 10:44

Interesting that Hodgson is apparently making quite a few changes to the team tonight. It's a bit of a bold move as if things go a bit tits up he's setting himself up for a massive amount of abuse from the media.

On the flip side I quite like the confidence he'll be showing in the players he brings into the side and that he's doing it because we're planning on going further in the tournament than just the next game.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 21 Jun 2016 15:04

Well he's certainly copped some abuse.

I'm only really posting this to ask why we only have one thread for the entire competition? Makes a mockery of an entire forum dedicated to it.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 21 Jun 2016 15:09

agreed, it should be one thread per game. Or for every England game at the very least.

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 21 Jun 2016 15:15

LUX agreed, it should be one thread per game. Or for every England game at the very least.

46 pages for 28 games suggests that would have been an utter shitshow

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Jun 2016 15:53

Maguire Well he's certainly copped some abuse.

I'm only really posting this to ask why we only have one thread for the entire competition? Makes a mockery of an entire forum dedicated to it.

Blame Platini and his 24 team tournament for the group stage apathy.

I don't get the stick by the way. If we'd played poorly and failed to dominate and create then yeah, but we did more than enough to win the game apart from take the chances we did create. That's down, in the main, to Lallana, Sturridge and Vardy, 3 players that most of those criticising the changes would've had in their side.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 21 Jun 2016 16:38

The newspaper narrative was always going to be driven by the result.

When I think back to games like Algeria '10 and USA '10 there's just no way you can compare those draws to last night. We genuinely stank out the tournament back then - I'd even argue our 1-0 win over Slovenia wasn't as good a performance as last night.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr
Hob Nob Addict

by Dr_Hfuhruhurr » 21 Jun 2016 18:54

Hoop Blah On the flip side I quite like the confidence he'll be showing in the players he brings into the side and that he's doing it because we're planning on going further in the tournament than just the next game.

Well exactly. This is basically our last chance to see if anybody else can make the first X1. (Though we have just fluked a draw with somebody from Group F and Id happily take on any of them) I think the full back switch is purely a rest - as was Rooney tbh and to see if we can really play with our normal central midfielders. You had to play Varney and Sturridge. It was only really Henderson that got the ??, but youve taken him, so give him a game.

The media response doesnt surprise me, they havent been football journalists for decades. I think Slovakia surprised us with how defensive they were and Wilshere and Henderson kept giving the ball away, And that was it, really. We gave up in the final quarter of the game because we didnt want to lose the game. It was utterly boring, but truth be told, its probably the least important game we'll play in the tournament.

20 posts   •   Page 1 of 1