FIFA U17 World Cup

double d

Re: FIFA U17 World Cup

by double d » 28 Oct 2017 22:54

Foden looked good in this tourney and so did brewster but when they get older and clubs decide to buy more exotic foreign players then what

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 30 Oct 2017 08:44

Great result for the u17s, obviously, and some very good individual performances throughout the tournament by the sounds of it.

Hoop Blah England will be without Jadan Sancho for this afternoons game as Dortmund have called him back to Germany (I think there was some agreement that they could call him back after the group games) instead of letting him play in the rest of the tournament.

Seems a bit naughty of them if you ask me...I know you didn't.

I know he's gone on to make his debut but you'd have to think Sancho is more than a little gutted to have missed out on the latter stages.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 31 Oct 2017 14:16

Sutekh http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41788830

Check the above interview out in the report. England players gatecrash it at the end and a certain no. 16 gets in frame at 0.57...

All that talent and promise and yet by the time they’re 21/22, and being hailed as the next golden generation, the PL and the coaching system in England has largely somehow destroyed it.

Discussion on other threads about the poor state of England's senior team. One of the points made there was how the German FA and German clubs bought into the development of their last 'golden generation', and that culminated in their brilliant recent record.

So will this be the turning point for England? Will the English FA do something - I don't know what - to ensure that this 'sign' for want of a better description, that as World U-17 and U-20 champions, and European U-19 winners, we might, just might, have something special to develop?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 Nov 2017 20:53

Having starred in front of crowds >50k it's back to playing in front of a few handfuls of fans for most.....their pathway to the top flight being overgrown with foreign bought-in talent.

Will take some radical change of thought and attitudes to overcome this.

Good luck to the lads.....there is always the loan system to thrive or be lost amongst I guess

double d

by double d » 02 Nov 2017 21:15

We need a big attitude change in this country. Maybe the success of the under 17 to 21s will help That? They certainly seem a good enough crop. Foden, Brewster et al. But will those two really get the minutes needed? Jesus Gabrial Is only 2 years ahead of those players in years (I think) but miles ahead in terms of player development. Rashford was first team at 19. Will Brewster really get enough minutes in Liverpool first team to improve? Solanke went there to play and hasn't so far. We shall see. Patrick Roberts was supposed to be the next big thing but has been shipped off to Celtic by man city.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Nov 2017 07:33

double d We need a big attitude change in this country. Maybe the success of the under 17 to 21s will help That? They certainly seem a good enough crop. Foden, Brewster et al. But will those two really get the minutes needed? Jesus Gabrial Is only 2 years ahead of those players in years (I think) but miles ahead in terms of player development. Rashford was first team at 19. Will Brewster really get enough minutes in Liverpool first team to improve? Solanke went there to play and hasn't so far. We shall see. Patrick Roberts was supposed to be the next big thing but has been shipped off to Celtic by man city.

If they are good enough they will get the minutes at the top clubs. Managers don't look at nationality they look at what is best for their team and if Foden, Brewster et al are considered the best option then they will get in.

I think where the attitude needs to change is with young players picking clubs at young age. Understandably if the opportunity comes to join Man City or Chelsea at 14 most will snap it up, even though most will never get a sniff of first team action they will end up having a decent career at Championship/L1 level or at least get the chance there because of where they have come from. More players need to look at joining decent academies at either the smaller PL clubs or more likely even Championship, where they will have a better chance of making the first team at 18,19,20 and growing their career from there.

If the level of talent England clearly has at the moment was spread over more clubs there would be a greater chance of them getting more minutes in the first team than now.