Where in the world??

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Flyingkiwi
Hob Nob Regular

Where in the world??

by Flyingkiwi » 21 Oct 2017 17:31

Where, in the world, have you watched league or cup football?

I'm a regular attendee at Chinese football matches (Mainly Beijing Guoan & Beijing Beikong but have also attended games at almost every other Super League venue). I've seen J League games, a V League game and even went over to South Korea a few months ago to watched a match there. I've also seen A League matches and, of course, have seen RFC play at every level except Premiership. I also watched Barcelona play a friendly at the Camp Nou in September (Not League or Cup, I admit, but I'm counting it).

What about you?

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Where in the world??

by Brum Royal » 08 Nov 2017 09:48

A group of us used to try and do an international football long weekend once or twice a year, but since most of the group are now married or have kids it's not happened for a few years. I've been to games at:

Italy: San Siro - Inter Milan

Spain: Bernabeu, Villareal v Schteve McLaren's FC Twente (Europa League), Camp Nou - a week long driving holiday across Spain with a mate, book ended by long weekends in Madrid and Barcelona.

Germany: Olympic Stadium, Berlin - Hertha v Wolfsburg

Sweden: Assyryska - Stockholm - on a stag do we decided to go to a game but the top division was off as it was an international break. Ended up going to see the Syrian immigrant team play in the second tier of the Swedish league on the outskirts of Stockholm. Great fun, a ground a bit like Crewe, one massive stand dwarfing the other three fairly small terraces

Ireland: Cork City v Drogheda - Joe Gamble played

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 13 May 2018 10:13

It's been something of a hobby of mine for the past 15 years or so, and I often arrange holidays with the fixtures in mind when planning an itinerary.

As a result I've seen football (excluding games in England and Wales) in Austria, Belgium, Cambodia, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hong Kong, Hungary, Italy, Japan, Russia, Scotland, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, USA and Vietnam.

The most common destination is Germany, where I've seen 35 games at 31 grounds*. It works out at 118 foreign grounds, although that total does include Scotland, simply because getting to Scotland (7 grounds) takes just as long as getting to continental Europe. The next most common destination has been Italy, where I've seen 9 games, followed by Czech Republic, France, Scotland and Thailand, where I've seen 7 games.

I just love going to foreign games, seeing the differences and similarities of the football culture in each place, doing something well off the usual tourist trail.

* Most people want to go over to see Dortmund, or the other bigger German grounds, which is understandable, but if I was to recommend a ground as an additional game, I'd suggest Bochum. Great ground, good atmosphere, with a large covered terrace behind one goal.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 13 May 2018 10:20

Brazil was my best, was freaking awesome despite being an irrelevant game.

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 14 May 2018 13:28

Hong Kong Premier League a few times
MLS a couple of times

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1