Nations League

18 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Nations League

by Hendo » 24 Jan 2018 10:28

Draw for this happening now.

Anyone got any idea of how it actually works? Been reading a few things this morning but still not got a clue!

Old Man Andrews

Re: Nations League

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Jan 2018 11:22

I have just seen this on Twitter. Didn't even know it was happening or what it is.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 24 Jan 2018 11:50

It`s all here I (sort of) understand it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42719404

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 24 Jan 2018 12:15

OMA - I had no idea either.

This explains it

What is the UEFA Nations League?

The UEFA Nations League is a new international tournament. England will go up against other European nations in a league format for the chance to compete in the Final Four summer showpiece in 2019, where the winner will be crowned the Nations League champion.

In a bid to improve the quality of international football and reduce the number of meaningless friendlies, UEFA - which has been planning the competition since 2011 - has devised a new format to add excitement and competition to country clashes.

Portugal won Euro 2016 - but the qualification for Euro 2020 will be affected by the Nations League
Portugal won Euro 2016 - but the qualification for Euro 2020 will be affected by the Nations League
How will it work?

There will be 55 teams involved, split into four leagues (A, B, C and D) based on their UEFA ranking at the end of the 2018 World Cup Qualifiers.

Within those four leagues, teams will be split again into groups, which will be made up of either three or four teams.

Within each league, four teams will be promoted at the end of the cycle, while four teams will be relegated. They will then play at their new level in the next competition, which starts in 2020.

The winners of the four groups in League A will qualify for the Final Four competition.

The draw for the UEFA Nations League takes place on Sky Sports News on Wednesday. Take a look at how it's all going to work...
How the groups have been divided

England are in League A alongside other European heavyweights, but Wales just missed out on some potentially money-spinning games after failing to make it into the top League following Monday's defeat by Republic of Ireland.

They're in League B with the Republic and Northern Ireland, while Scotland are in League C.

League A (four groups of three): Germany, Portugal, Belgium, Spain, France, England, Switzerland, Italy, Poland, Iceland, Croatia, Netherlands
League B (four groups of three): Austria, Wales, Russia, Slovakia, Sweden, Ukraine, Republic of Ireland, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Northern Ireland, Denmark, Czech Republic, Turkey
League C (one group of three, three groups of four): Hungary, Romania, Scotland, Slovenia, Greece, Serbia, Albania, Norway, Montenegro, Israel, Bulgaria, Finland, Cyprus, Estonia, Lithuania
League D (four groups of four): Azerbaijan, FYR Macedonia, Belarus, Georgia, Armenia, Latvia, Faroe Islands, Luxembourg, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Liechtenstein, Malta, Andorra, Kosovo, San Marino, Gibraltar

When will the Nations League take place?

The draw for the above group stages takes place on Wednesday in Lausanne at 11am GMT. Ukraine and Russia will not be drawn into the same group, and neither will Armenia and Azerbaijan.

Matchday 1: September 6-9, 2018
Matchday 2: September 9-11, 2018
Matchday 3: October 11-13, 2018
Matchday 4: October 14-16, 2018
Matchday 5: November 15-17, 2018
Matchday 6: November 18-20, 2018
Finals: June 5-9, 2019

What is the Final Four?

The Final Four is the climax to the Nations League. It will take place in June 2019 and pit the group winners from League A, B, C and D against each other. There will be a one-game semi-final stage followed by the final.

There will still be openings in the international calendar for friendlies
There will still be openings in the international calendar for friendlies
The winner will be named as Nations League champion.

The Final Four tournament will occur in odd years, meaning that in years when there isn't a World Cup or European Championships, there will be a Nations League winner.

How will the Nations League affect European Qualifiers?

Euro qualifiers for 2020 will commence in March 2019, with double headers in the March, June, September, October and November international breaks.

Teams will be split into five groups of five teams and five groups of six teams. In total, there will be 10 matchdays - the same number as now.

The top two teams from the 10 groups qualify automatically for the Euros, while four more places at the finals will be awarded to play-off winners. Sixteen teams will compete in the play-offs.

Outside of World Cup and European Championship years there will be a new trophy to compete for
Outside of World Cup and European Championship years there will be a new trophy to compete for
Now, here's the interesting bit...

Each Nations League league gets four play-off spots. If the winner of a group has already qualified for the Euros, the next best team which has not qualified goes into the play-offs.

Those sixteen teams will go into four groups, with the top team going to the Euros. The four teams play two one-off semi-finals and one one-off final to determine play-off winners.

So, if one of the Home Nations fails to qualify the traditional way, each league has a path of its own to the finals.

The UEFA Nations League rankings will also determine the composition of draw pots for subsequent European Qualifiers.

UEFA EURO 2020 play-off draw: November 22, 2019
UEFA EURO 2020 play-offs: March 26-31, 2020
What are the benefits?

"The UEFA Nations League creates more meaningful and competitive matches for teams and a dedicated calendar and structure for national team football," say UEFA, who believe the new format addresses concerns national associations raised about friendlies no longer providing adequate competition.

The format gives Home Nations sides an alternative route to major tournaments
The format gives Home Nations sides an alternative route to major tournaments
As well as the appeal of being named National League winner after the Final Four showpiece event for top teams, weaker teams will have better opportunities to qualify for European Championships - the bottom 16 in the rankings are now guaranteed one of the 24 qualifying spots.

Weaker teams will also face teams of a similar level - so there will be fewer thrashings and more meaningful games for fans.

Is this the end of friendlies?

Not completely. There will still be some space in the calendar for friendlies - particularly for the top teams, who are in groups of three within League A and B and the top group in League C.

There will also be room for pre-tournament warm-up games ahead of World Cups and European Championships. But, essentially, the outcome of more international games will matter.

Will the new format increase players' workload?

The Nations League and new Euros qualification process operates within the current international calendar, so there are not increased demands in terms of the number of matches.

The new format should not increase players' workloads
The new format should not increase players' workloads
In fact, UEFA claims the new product will actually reduce strain on players. That's because there is likely to be less travel and players will be playing at their own level. Players will also go back to their clubs earlier than is currently the case.

How can I watch the Nations League?

You will be able to watch all of the Home Nations in the UEFA Nations League on Sky Sports, through September, October and November 2018. You'll also be able to watch the Final Four finale in June 2019 on Sky Sports.

In fact, there will be up to 900 live international matches on Sky Sports between 2018 and 2022, with the new rights agreement also including qualifiers for Euro 2020 and World Cup 2022.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 24 Jan 2018 12:19

I really like the principle - that this removes meaningless friendlies from the calendar and will mean most international matches have a genuine 'point'. I'd have ensured against three team groups though, and had only 3 pots, with additional groups in lowest ranked pot. I'd have also done away with seeding within each of the pots. Headline in the Guardian - 'home nations get tough nations league draw', when we England in particular were always going to as a second seeded pot A side.

Still, Spain home and away will be a nice test.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Jan 2018 13:37

What a load of utterly pointless cr@p in a desperate attempt to try and make meaningless friendlies meaningful and generate yet more cash

Can't wait for 10 years time when the "finals" will have been extended to include 16 teams etc :roll:

They should be cutting the number of international fixtures not trying to find an excuse for even more.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Jan 2018 13:46

Sutekh What a load of utterly pointless cr@p in a desperate attempt to try and make meaningless friendlies meaningful and generate yet more cash

Can't wait for 10 years time when the "finals" will have been extended to include 16 teams etc :roll:

They should be cutting the number of international fixtures not trying to find an excuse for even more.

They aren't finding more though are they, they are changing the context of them.

Nobody give a flying one about Friendlies any more so bringing in a competition that replaces friendlies with competitive games against teams of a similar standard can only be a good thing and in the long run could improve the overall standard of international football.

Are Liechtenstein going to improve more by getting meat 7-0 by Spain every couple of years or by having competitive games against the likes of Gibraltar & Macedonia? It gives the smaller countries a chance of winning a trophy as well and moving up to play better countries.

The only thing I'm not too keen on is that one of the League D teams gets a place in Euro 2020 as will really skew one group in the finals - this will have a bigger impact given best 3rd place teams can qualify.

The biggest test of this will be how seriously countries take it - I would imagine pretty seriously as even from a purely financial point of view it is easier for England to sell tickets for games v Spain and Croatia than Bosnia and Austria.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 24 Jan 2018 13:55

Stranded
Sutekh What a load of utterly pointless cr@p in a desperate attempt to try and make meaningless friendlies meaningful and generate yet more cash

Are Liechtenstein going to improve more by getting meat 7-0 by Spain every couple of years or by having competitive games against the likes of Gibraltar & Macedonia? It gives the smaller countries a chance of winning a trophy as well and moving up to play better countries.

I think Chorizo would improve them yes.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 24 Jan 2018 16:42

I think it looks good. So much better than friendlies. I went to England vs Germany at Wembley, and the lack of consequence for the game meant it was so much of a meh as to whether a team won or not.

This will improve that.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Jan 2018 16:56

Stranded

They aren't finding more though are they, they are changing the context of them.

Nobody give a flying one about Friendlies any more so bringing in a competition that replaces friendlies with competitive games against teams of a similar standard can only be a good thing and in the long run could improve the overall standard of international football.

The only thing I'm not too keen on is that one of the League D teams gets a place in Euro 2020 as will really skew one group in the finals - this will have a bigger impact given best 3rd place teams can qualify.

The biggest test of this will be how seriously countries take it - I would imagine pretty seriously as even from a purely financial point of view it is easier for England to sell tickets for games v Spain and Croatia than Bosnia and Austria.

They are adding more, every other year you get the summer clogged up with another round of games that aren't there now.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Jan 2018 20:02

Sutekh
Stranded

They are adding more, every other year you get the summer clogged up with another round of games that aren't there now.

They really aren't. Look back at fixtures, all countries play qualifiers/friendlies at beginning of June in odd number years.

For example, Scotland 2-2 England was June 10th 2017. In June 2015 England played Ireland in a friendly and a qualifier in Slovenia.

In June 2019, the international window will remain but be filled with the knock-out round for 4 teams. The rest will either play friendlies or not play. No extra football, just more competitive international football.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Jan 2018 20:04

Greatwesternline I think it looks good. So much better than friendlies. I went to England vs Germany at Wembley, and the lack of consequence for the game meant it was so much of a meh as to whether a team won or not.

This will improve that.

Exactly. England v Spain at Wembley where the winners reach the semis whilst the losers get relegated. Has to be better than playing Germany 'B' again.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Jan 2018 08:41

I like the principle of adding some more interest and competition to international games but this does seem like a bit of a convoluted and complicated system. That's in part down to me not really putting much effort into understanding the details of what'll be going on.

I take it there will still be room in the calendar for teams to set up a few of their own friendlies as well?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 26 Jan 2018 09:24

Hoop Blah I like the principle of adding some more interest and competition to international games but this does seem like a bit of a convoluted and complicated system. That's in part down to me not really putting much effort into understanding the details of what'll be going on.

I take it there will still be room in the calendar for teams to set up a few of their own friendlies as well?

There will be hence why there are only 3 teams in groups in League A and B - leaves 2 international dates free for them to arrange friendlies in. So still scope for the now annual England-Germany game or games against non-European games.

Also will be dates left open ahead of major championships for friendlies.

The system isn't really that convoluted - it is a straight league system with play-offs at the top league to determine a champion. The confusion come from the Euro qualifying route but if you see that as a separate tournament it is much clearer.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Jan 2018 13:25

So for completion's sake, this is the draw...

LEAGUE A

Group A1: Holland, France, Germany
Group A2: Iceland, Switzerland, Belgium
Group A3: Poland, Italy, Portugal
Group A4: Croatia, England, Spain

LEAGUE B

Group B1: Czech Republic, Ukraine, Slovakia
Group B2: Turkey, Sweden, Russia
Group B3: Northern Ireland, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Austria
Group B4: Denmark, Republic of Ireland, Wales

LEAGUE C

Group C1: Israel, Albania, Scotland
Group C2: Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hungary
Group C3: Cyprus, Bulgaria, Norway, Slovenia
Group C4: Lithuania, Montenegro, Serbia, Romania

GROUP D

Group D1: Andorra, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Georgia
Group D2: San Marino, Moldova, Luxembourg, Belarus
Group D3: Kosovo, Malta, Faroe Islands, Azerbaijan
Group D4: Gibraltar, Liechtenstein, Armenia, Macedonia

What will England do first? Win it or struggle to get promoted from a Group B division?

Is there a special prize if anyone in Group D attracts more than a 4 figure crowd to a game?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 29 Jan 2018 11:12

Sutekh So for completion's sake, this is the draw...

LEAGUE A

Group A1: Holland, France, Germany
Group A2: Iceland, Switzerland, Belgium
Group A3: Poland, Italy, Portugal
Group A4: Croatia, England, Spain

LEAGUE B

Group B1: Czech Republic, Ukraine, Slovakia
Group B2: Turkey, Sweden, Russia
Group B3: Northern Ireland, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Austria
Group B4: Denmark, Republic of Ireland, Wales

LEAGUE C

Group C1: Israel, Albania, Scotland
Group C2: Estonia, Finland, Greece, Hungary
Group C3: Cyprus, Bulgaria, Norway, Slovenia
Group C4: Lithuania, Montenegro, Serbia, Romania

GROUP D

Group D1: Andorra, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Georgia
Group D2: San Marino, Moldova, Luxembourg, Belarus
Group D3: Kosovo, Malta, Faroe Islands, Azerbaijan
Group D4: Gibraltar, Liechtenstein, Armenia, Macedonia

What will England do first? Win it or struggle to get promoted from a Group B division?

Is there a special prize if anyone in Group D attracts more than a 4 figure crowd to a game?

Group D3 is the "Group of Death" here isn't it? Can't wait to see it on Eurosport.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 13 Feb 2018 15:21

D3 probably has the most amount of travel involved

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Mar 2018 09:20

Won't the winners of Groups C and D also qualify for the 2020 Euro championships?

18 posts   •   Page 1 of 1