England’s World Cup Finals 2018

329 posts
John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

Re: England’s World Cup Finals 2018

by John Madejski's Wallet » 18 Jun 2018 22:32

God what an embarrassing bunch gaylords

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 18 Jun 2018 22:37

John Madejski's Wallet God what an embarrassing bunch gaylords

A slight over reaction to winning one bloody game.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 18 Jun 2018 22:47

Get carried away in every good place you find yourself in. Let your mind soar and your heart race. England will win this World Cup. And until they don’t in 10 days time I’m gonna enjoy it. I love supporting England. Right up until they kick a ball.

And fair play to those lads losing their minds in town. I had a few nights like that myself many many years ago.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 18 Jun 2018 23:03

windermereROYAL
John Madejski's Wallet God what an embarrassing bunch gaylords

A slight over reaction to winning one bloody game.

Embrace it.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Jun 2018 04:00

Scutterbucketz Get carried away in every good place you find yourself in. Let your mind soar and your heart race. England will win this World Cup. And until they don’t in 10 days time I’m gonna enjoy it. I love supporting England. Right up until they kick a ball.

And fair play to those lads losing their minds in town. I had a few nights like that myself many many years ago.

Reminded me of Euro 96 when about 10 of us closed Gun Street for 10 mins drunkenly dancing in the street after the Spain game.

10539.4 Miles Away
Hob Nob Regular

by 10539.4 Miles Away » 19 Jun 2018 07:45

Got up at 2am to watch the game, think I saw about 2 mins of it.

Just watching the highlights, 2 major things stood out. Firstly how the hell were the 2 rugby tackles on Kane not given as penalties and secondly wtf was the Tunisian keeper doing for Kane's 2nd. Literally stood and watched it go past him.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 19 Jun 2018 08:08

Harry Kane is really good at taking up positions away from defenders in the box, sounds obvious but not all players do it

Not sure if it's part of dead ball routine to have him come in at the back post and find space but that's where both goals came from.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Jun 2018 08:25

Loads of negativity in the office this morning, not really understanding why to be honest. First games are never easy and Tunisia aren't mugs, ranked 21st in the world for a reason.

When you consider their penalty was about as soft as it comes and we should have been awarded at least 2 ourselves the result could have been way more comprehensive.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Jun 2018 09:15

Old Man Andrews Loads of negativity in the office this morning, not really understanding why to be honest. First games are never easy and Tunisia aren't mugs, ranked 21st in the world for a reason.

When you consider their penalty was about as soft as it comes and we should have been awarded at least 2 ourselves the result could have been way more comprehensive.

And let's not forget their 1st keeper pulled off two excellent saves in the first 5 minutes or so. Feel sorry for him that he had to go off a couple of minutes later.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 19 Jun 2018 09:59

Mild lol @ Tunisia leaving one of the best strikers in the world unmarked twice at set-pieces

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 19 Jun 2018 10:02

Old Man Andrews Loads of negativity in the office this morning, not really understanding why to be honest. First games are never easy and Tunisia aren't mugs, ranked 21st in the world for a reason.

Yep, this. Tunisia are a decent side and they move the ball very well. We went to sleep for around half hour in the second half - or rather, switched off the pressure on the ball and intensity - but otherwise I thought we played well, passed the ball well, and the movement of the front 4/6 was at times Liverpool-like.

In a round of games where better teams haven't got expected wins against worse teams than Tunisia, we should be very happy, and could/should have qualification for the next round sewn up by Sunday night.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 19 Jun 2018 10:04

On the penalties/VAR - VAR remains a powerful addition to the game if it is used properly. Certainly the first foul on Kane not long after the Tunisia penalty should have been a pretty easy decision for the VAR referee to make. Defender had Kane in a bear hug, was never looking at the ball and then forced him over.

Did enjoy Keown's comment that he probably wouldn't have a career if he was playing in today's game. :)

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 19 Jun 2018 10:10

Still not convinced by VAR or that it will ever "be used properly"

So far we've 'gained' 2-3 pens that were slight enough that had they not been given the teams would have been miffed but not outraged (i.e. they weren't outrageous howlers from the ref not to give them)

.....and we've had at least 3 nailed-on, blatant pens not given

So what are we getting out of it?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 19 Jun 2018 10:12

John Madejski's Wallet Still not convinced by VAR or that it will ever "be used properly"

So far we've 'gained' 2-3 pens that were slight enough that had they not been given the teams would have been miffed but not outraged (i.e. they weren't outrageous howlers from the ref not to give them)

.....and we've had at least 3 nailed-on, blatant pens not given

So what are we getting out of it?

We've apparently gained the ability to pretend that Sweden's penalty against Korea, given by VAR, wasn't a definite foul that the referee missed.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 19 Jun 2018 10:18

It's been used very well at times (Sweden, Peru etc) and other refs have got it very wrong.

Either way, it's not fit for purpose yet and certainly shouldn't be being used at a World Cup.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 19 Jun 2018 10:23

genome It's been used very well at times (Sweden, Peru etc) and other refs have got it very wrong.

Either way, it's not fit for purpose yet and certainly shouldn't be being used at a World Cup.

There have been incidents reviewed and corrected with VAR that otherwise would not have been. Why is that not good?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 19 Jun 2018 10:31

Sanguine
genome It's been used very well at times (Sweden, Peru etc) and other refs have got it very wrong.

There have been incidents reviewed and corrected with VAR that otherwise would not have been. Why is that not good?

It's also missed things. It's the most prestigious competition in the world, it shouldn't be being trialled.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Jun 2018 10:42

genome
Sanguine

It's also missed things. It's the most prestigious competition in the world, it shouldn't be being trialled.

Agreed. It should be used but only for very obvious things such as off the ball violent conduct or mistaken identity, no issue with a red card coming 2 minutes after an incident if someone had been punched or stamped on behind the refs back.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 19 Jun 2018 10:50

I feel like the refs are already not giving some decisions because they think the VAR lads will do it for them. The Peru and Sweden pens should have been given on-field by any half decent ref but they seem to be heading down the road where umpires in cricket never seem to give a run out any more, they just go for a replay.

I'd like tho think that's why the ref didn't give Kane either penalty last night, not sure what the VAR types excuse was

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 19 Jun 2018 11:24

Stranded
Scutterbucketz Get carried away in every good place you find yourself in. Let your mind soar and your heart race. England will win this World Cup. And until they don’t in 10 days time I’m gonna enjoy it. I love supporting England. Right up until they kick a ball.

Reminded me of Euro 96 when about 10 of us closed Gun Street for 10 mins drunkenly dancing in the street after the Spain game.

Yes, I nearly got arrested for stealing a cardboard Alan Shearer from behind the counter at McDonalds and then parading around the town. Made the EPo though 8)
Just saw a video of the police crackdown on Friar Street last night. Seemed a bit OTT.

329 posts