England’s World Cup Finals 2018

329 posts
Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

Re: England’s World Cup Finals 2018

by Greatwesternline » 19 Jun 2018 13:29

BR0B0T Apparently, Stones pushed his defender just before Harry Kane was bundled

Guess it's something like that you are referring to

Yeah, they were unrelated fouls, and one happened just before the other. So i thought to myself, what is the VAR to do if there are two sets of two players fouling each other on opposite teams, which is more or less what happened during one of the Kane things yesterday.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 19 Jun 2018 13:33

Sanguine
Old Man Andrews Your debate is exactly why VAR shouldn't be used in penalty situations.

Because some people are stupid?

For an example of why it shouldn't be used, it's Lovren's 'foul' in the Spurs (?) game last season.
There's nothing to debate on the France penalty.

Considering you are literally the only person I've seen suggest that Risdon didn't touch the ball I'm not sure that's totally true

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jun 2018 22:18

10539.4 Miles Away Got up at 2am to watch the game, think I saw about 2 mins of it.

Just watching the highlights, 2 major things stood out. Firstly how the hell were the 2 rugby tackles on Kane not given as penalties and secondly wtf was the Tunisian keeper doing for Kane's 2nd. Literally stood and watched it go past him.

The best I can come up with for why the penalties weren't given, is that as play continued England got shots on goal off regardless. So maybe a type of retrospective advantage was played? Maybe?

Kane completely wrong footed him, the keeper thought he was going to head back across him and goes to move that way, Kane instead glances it to the near post and the keeper's oxf*rd and looking like a total numpty.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jun 2018 22:21

John Madejski's Wallet Still not convinced by VAR or that it will ever "be used properly"

So far we've 'gained' 2-3 pens that were slight enough that had they not been given the teams would have been miffed but not outraged (i.e. they weren't outrageous howlers from the ref not to give them)

.....and we've had at least 3 nailed-on, blatant pens not given

So what are we getting out of it?

Or put another way, without VAR six penalties wouldn't have been given, with VAR three penalties weren't given. So the number of failed penalty decisions has halved. But apparently, it's perfect or flop. :|

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jun 2018 22:23

Silver Fox I feel like the refs are already not giving some decisions because they think the VAR lads will do it for them. The Peru and Sweden pens should have been given on-field by any half decent ref but they seem to be heading down the road where umpires in cricket never seem to give a run out any more, they just go for a replay.

I'd like tho think that's why the ref didn't give Kane either penalty last night, not sure what the VAR types excuse was

Bizarrely, I think I saw the ref gesture that it was a dive after the second Kane penalty shout. :shock:

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jun 2018 22:32

Silver Fox
Sanguine
Old Man Andrews Your debate is exactly why VAR shouldn't be used in penalty situations.

Because some people are stupid?

For an example of why it shouldn't be used, it's Lovren's 'foul' in the Spurs (?) game last season.
There's nothing to debate on the France penalty.

Considering you are literally the only person I've seen suggest that Risdon didn't touch the ball I'm not sure that's totally true

I remain unconvinced he touched the ball, but seeing as whether he touched it is utterly irrelevant to the decision, I'm not sure I see how it matters.

Yes, VAR hasn't overturned some seemingly obvious decisions, although none of us are experts in its use or qualified referees (with the exception of PTR) and most of us it seems haven't even read the laws (I've skimmed a few occasionally). So the problem as much as anything is fans with piss all actual knowledge or experience of the laws arguing about what should or shouldn't be the right decision. And people seeing what they want to see because of personal bias... like me hating Ronaldo, so being convinced his penalty was unjust because he deliberately sought out minimal contact and went down of his own choice. Not that I'm saying it should be overruled by VAR - clear contact = not an obvious error, which works similarly for Walker.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Jun 2018 18:59

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 20 Jun 2018 19:57

Southgate dislocates his shoulder. Probably won’t be able to ferociously vvank over his love child Sterling anymore.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 21 Jun 2018 12:58

Apparently Steve Holland has inadvertently revealed that Rashford may be starting ahead of Sterling, against Panama.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Jun 2018 15:02

Whore Jackie Apparently Steve Holland has inadvertently revealed that Rashford may be starting ahead of Sterling, against Panama.

Not that it matters but I hate that the press decide to do this almost every time (feels like anyway), so you can zoom into a piece of paper, why the need to print it.

Is hardly news anyway, think nearly everone is expecting England to start on Sunday as they finished on Monday aren't they?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Jun 2018 17:57

Stranded
Whore Jackie Apparently Steve Holland has inadvertently revealed that Rashford may be starting ahead of Sterling, against Panama.

Not that it matters but I hate that the press decide to do this almost every time (feels like anyway), so you can zoom into a piece of paper, why the need to print it.

Is hardly news anyway, think nearly everone is expecting England to start on Sunday as they finished on Monday aren't they?

I don't usually believe these type of leaks anyway. It's just as likely something they're working on in training than the actual starting line-up and I'd be surprised if the history of similar leaks didn't back that up.

I'm expecting Sterling to be starting on Sunday as it happens. Southgate seems to have been pretty loyal to him and values his wider influence on the game and not just his ability (or lack of) to put the ball in the net. I wouldn't be surprised it Rashford started as well as Sterling though (or instead of to be fair).

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Jun 2018 15:06

Confirmed.

If Belgium v England finishes as a draw on Thursday then the teams will not be able to be separated by their playing records so it will then come down to the fair play records which currently favour England by 2 bookings to 3.

If the fair play records are identical then it’ll be down to the proverbial coin toss.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 25 Jun 2018 10:03

Sutekh Confirmed.

If Belgium v England finishes as a draw on Thursday then the teams will not be able to be separated by their playing records so it will then come down to the fair play records which currently favour England by 2 bookings to 3.

If the fair play records are identical then it’ll be down to the proverbial coin toss.

It'd be an actual coin toss, no?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Jun 2018 10:18

Green
Sutekh Confirmed.

There has to be a funnier and more entertaining way of doing this. I was thinking something along the lines of which squad has better looking WAGS or maybe a selection of pub sports between the rival squads.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 25 Jun 2018 12:03

Maybe a game of Aunt Sally as the decider

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 25 Jun 2018 12:35

Best kit!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Jun 2018 14:19

Green
Sutekh Confirmed.

FIFA term it as "the drawing of lots".

Imagine that being done for a 2nd/3rd place dead heat....

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 25 Jun 2018 14:56

England are gonna win the World Cup. I can feel it in my waters.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 25 Jun 2018 19:53

Scutterbucketz England are gonna win the World Cup. I can feel it in my waters.

Must be demoralizing for the other teams knowing they're playing dead rubbers

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 26 Jun 2018 17:35

Apparently Martinez has said he'll make 10 outfield changes for Beligium on Thursday.

I also think Southgate will make changes with Dier, Rashford and Cahill starting and perhaps also Rose and Vardy....

329 posts