Re: R16: Colombia v England

by genome » 04 Jul 2018 11:52

Wouldn't say that was conclusive

But anyway, I don't actually care, it doesn't matter

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Jul 2018 11:54

Shout out to one of my workm8s who decided he didn't care about England's result because he's an Arsenal fan and he doesn't like the fact Tottenham players are carrying the side :|

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Jul 2018 11:54

genome Wouldn't say that was conclusive

But anyway, I don't actually care, it doesn't matter

Trajectory of the ball and where his hand is makes it conclusive for me but I guess it is something we will never know for sure unless someone puts hawkeye on it.

Pickford certainly didn't know it was going wide so did amazingly well to get to it.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 04 Jul 2018 11:55

TheSpread
I would have to say the worst penalty was the Colombian's which hit the crossbar. That was the only penalty that didn't hit the target.

I missed your pedancy, Kes.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Jul 2018 11:55

genome Shout out to one of my workm8s who decided he didn't care about England's result because he's an Arsenal fan and he doesn't like the fact Tottenham players are carrying the side :|

Then he should be punished. Are there enough of you to punish him?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 04 Jul 2018 11:59

genome Shout out to one of my workm8s who decided he didn't care about England's result because he's an Arsenal fan and he doesn't like the fact Tottenham players are carrying the side :|

Just like that girl I posted tweets from earlier on here.

She said she couldn't possibly celebrate Kane and other Spurs fans scoring. She is Arsenal first.

Not sure she's been to many games though!

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 04 Jul 2018 12:07

Maguire was a beast, and really enjoyed his carrying it into the pool half (shame his through balls to the striker were blasted to feet)

Trippier won almost every defensive 1-on-1. Impressive, but we didn't use his attacking talents nearly enough

Kane's ability to draw a foul was excellent

Alli just has to be dropped, he's doing nothing
Last edited by John Madejski's Wallet on 04 Jul 2018 12:08, edited 1 time in total.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 04 Jul 2018 12:08

A plague on his house.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 04 Jul 2018 12:09

bobby1413

Just like that girl I posted tweets from earlier on here.

She said she couldn't possibly celebrate Kane and other Spurs fans scoring. She is Arsenal first.

Not sure she's been to many games though!

I have noticed before that many people you meet who are 'X 'till I die' and come out with ridiculously biased tosh are very often the ones who never go to games. Armchair fans who are trying to compensate

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Jul 2018 12:14

Scutterbucketz

A plague on his house.

If we do win the tournament, I am going to wind him up to end with "Tottenham won the World Cup" (like West Ham in '66)

Although it would be funny if Tottenham won the World Cup before they won a club trophy

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Jul 2018 12:15

John Madejski's Wallet Kane's ability to draw a foul was excellent

With no whinging, rolling around, crying or histrionics. Take notes, Neymar.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 04 Jul 2018 12:22

genome
John Madejski's Wallet Kane's ability to draw a foul was excellent

With no whinging, rolling around, crying or histrionics. Take notes, Neymar.

Yep, no diving. Just legimitately drawing a foul and not complaining

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by John Madejski's Wallet » 04 Jul 2018 12:24

Oh and it's

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 04 Jul 2018 12:30

Winston Biscuit
I have noticed before that many people you meet who are 'X 'till I die' and come out with ridiculously biased tosh are very often the ones who never go to games. Armchair fans who are trying to compensate

I don't know that particular chick. Surely everyone comes across these hardcore armchair fans everyday.

My boss is a Liverpool fan and has been to one game before. He gets very defensive when I speak about Liverpool (the place) yet he's born and raised in Guildford. Doubt he even knows the name of a single road in Liverpool (other than Anfield Road)

Co-worker is a man united fan and never been to a game

Friend is a Liverpool fan and been to three games. All with me to watch reading from the away end.

Everyone must have similar encounters

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 04 Jul 2018 12:41

I’m watching the penalties again and having a little cry to myself.

ICH

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 04 Jul 2018 12:53

Sebastian the Red
Maneki Neko bloke on the line was at fault for the goal. tried to be clever and flick it up and over the bar rather than back into play and ended up flicking it into the net

At fault, but not because he was trying to be clever. For me it looked like he was anticipating a straight header into the top corner, and timed his jump accordingly - but it actually went down and bounced up so he was already on the way down as it was heading towards him, and could only try a desperate flick. A mistake, but a very much forgivable one.

ok. ill let him off

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 04 Jul 2018 12:54

Old Man Andrews
genome
Old Man Andrews
It was going wide, it is a fact.

Thanks for posting that, been looking for a conclusive angle.

ok m8

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 04 Jul 2018 12:59

bobby1413
Winston Biscuit

I don't know that particular chick. Surely everyone comes across these hardcore armchair fans everyday.

My boss is a Liverpool fan and has been to one game before. He gets very defensive when I speak about Liverpool (the place) yet he's born and raised in Guildford. Doubt he even knows the name of a single road in Liverpool (other than Anfield Road)

Co-worker is a man united fan and never been to a game

Friend is a Liverpool fan and been to three games. All with me to watch reading from the away end.

Everyone must have similar encounters

I do admit to spending a lot of time secretly sneering at these types of people at work, and any time they try to engage in football chat I shut it down swiftly

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Jul 2018 13:16

Old Man Andrews
paultheroyal Great to see the country behind the English team again. Such drama last night.

England played well up until the penalty then it all started to unravel.

Feel for Pickford on basis that he made that world class save, one of the greatest you will ever see only to concede on next corner. Deserved more recognition but hey he is getting it now for the shootout drama.

What an opportunity for us.

The shot was going wide though/hitting the outside of the post. If he hadn't have touched it Colombia wouldn't have scored from the corner and we win 1-0. Pickford then doesn't go on to be a national hero for saving the penalty in the shoot-out. Weird how football works.

Footage I saw looks to me that shot is going in off the post, I have not see a clear angle to say any different. It was a world class save. Amazing agility. One of the best I haver ever seen.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Jul 2018 13:17

305 posts