R16: Colombia v England

305 posts
paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: R16: Colombia v England

by paultheroyal » 04 Jul 2018 13:18

Great technique, staying on his line at the point of ball being struck - covering low, covering high, strong hand.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Jul 2018 13:19

Scutterbucketz I’m watching the penalties again and having a little cry to myself.

ICH

I have no issue with admitting that I had a tear in my eye when Dier scored the winning penalty.

My sister was full on crying :lol:

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Jul 2018 13:20

paultheroyal
Old Man Andrews
paultheroyal Great to see the country behind the English team again. Such drama last night.

England played well up until the penalty then it all started to unravel.

Feel for Pickford on basis that he made that world class save, one of the greatest you will ever see only to concede on next corner. Deserved more recognition but hey he is getting it now for the shootout drama.

What an opportunity for us.

The shot was going wide though/hitting the outside of the post. If he hadn't have touched it Colombia wouldn't have scored from the corner and we win 1-0. Pickford then doesn't go on to be a national hero for saving the penalty in the shoot-out. Weird how football works.

Footage I saw looks to me that shot is going in off the post, I have not see a clear angle to say any different. It was a world class save. Amazing agility. One of the best I haver ever seen.

I am hoping someone on Twitter ball tracks it over the next few days so it can be proven beyond doubt. Not to deny it was a great save but just out of curiosity. The angle above looks closer than I thought it was, the front on one looks like the ball is going wide. Like I've said previously Pickford didn't know that so its a world class save regardless.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Jul 2018 13:22

genome
Scutterbucketz I’m watching the penalties again and having a little cry to myself.

ICH

I have no issue with admitting that I had a tear in my eye when Dier scored the winning penalty.

My 7 year old was so stressed. Brilliant to see him into it like this. He was proper stressing, on his feet and then utter euphoria when the winning penalty went in. Brilliant scenes in our house.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Jul 2018 13:34

Just seen that Diego Maradona has called the England win a "monumental theft" and that it was "all down to the referee" :lol:

That's possibly the most ironic thing I've ever read.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Jul 2018 13:36

God damned referees enforcing the rules! How dare they!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Jul 2018 13:41

Victor Meldrew his "wrong" hand-something that the so-called "experts" castigated him for in the Belgium game but little comment last night.

Little comment because it wasn't the wrong hand Victor.

Victor Meldrew Interesting that they really had spent loads of time taking taking penalties at the end of training and presumably Dier and Henderson had shown up well there and presumably Vardy didn't.

Vardy had apparently picked up a knock so didn't take one.

Victor Meldrew Knowing Spurs reputation for diving (Ali, Rose etc.) I would like to see some footage on how a big bloke like Kane gets floored so easily.
We only ever see the last bit but does he (like a lot of forwards) grab the defender's shirt first?

Don't think there was any wrong doing from Kane or the others. A little bit of jostling of course, but nothing that would general constitute a foul and we got pulled up for it on a few occasions.

Victor Meldrew These penalties and other set pieces have kept us in this World Cup-credit to the coaching staff.

Agreed, we look so dangerous from set pieces and that's why we've ended getting fouled so much.

Victor Meldrew Lastly, how fine is that line between success and failure.
If we had failed in the penalty shoot-out it would have been a poor World Cup and Southgate would have been caned for resting the first team v Belgium.
As it is, he is now treated as a hero by his pundit mates for getting us through the second round.

If we'd have failed I would like to think there would be an acceptance that we'd given it a decent shot and they wouldn't have faced a shed load of criticism. We need to be a little more creative and clinical but there's been a lot progress by this squad, and those left behind, over the last six months and I hope that'll be remembered whatever the outcome over the next week or so.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Jul 2018 13:41

paultheroyal
genome

ICH

My 7 year old was so stressed. Brilliant to see him into it like this. He was proper stressing, on his feet and then utter euphoria when the winning penalty went in. Brilliant scenes in our house.

We made my dog jump so severely she went flying off the sofa, ran out of the house into the garden and did about six sprinting laps due to overexcitement.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 04 Jul 2018 13:42

genome
paultheroyal
genome

We made my dog jump so severely she went flying off the sofa, ran out of the house into the garden and did about six sprinting laps due to overexcitement.

Your dog sounds like a fcuking idiot!

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Jul 2018 13:59

I was in the Monks. just who was that girl that kissed me? call me darling, I miss you already. :D

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Jul 2018 14:00

windermereROYAL I was in the Monks. just who was that girl that kissed me? call me darling, I miss you already. :D

His name was Barry.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Jul 2018 14:02

Old Man Andrews
windermereROYAL I was in the Monks. just who was that girl that kissed me? call me darling, I miss you already. :D

His name was Barry.

That`s uncanny, the mate I sat was named Barry, if it was him I would have belted him.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Jul 2018 14:27

Hoop Blah
Victor Meldrew his "wrong" hand-something that the so-called "experts" castigated him for in the Belgium game but little comment last night.

Victor Meldrew Interesting that they really had spent loads of time taking taking penalties at the end of training and presumably Dier and Henderson had shown up well there and presumably Vardy didn't.

Victor Meldrew Knowing Spurs reputation for diving (Ali, Rose etc.) I would like to see some footage on how a big bloke like Kane gets floored so easily.
We only ever see the last bit but does he (like a lot of forwards) grab the defender's shirt first?

Don't think there was any wrong doing from Kane or the others. A little bit of jostling of course, but nothing that would general constitute a foul and we got pulled up for it on a few occasions.

Victor Meldrew These penalties and other set pieces have kept us in this World Cup-credit to the coaching staff.

Agreed, we look so dangerous from set pieces and that's why we've ended getting fouled so much.

If we had failed in the penalty shoot-out it would have been a poor World Cup and Southgate would have been caned for resting the first team v Belgium.
As it is, he is now treated as a hero by his pundit mates for getting us through the second round.

If we'd have failed I would like to think there would be an acceptance that we'd given it a decent shot and they wouldn't have faced a shed load of criticism. We need to be a little more creative and clinical but there's been a lot progress by this squad, and those left behind, over the last six months and I hope that'll be remembered whatever the outcome over the next week or so.

In other words Victor has had a mare here.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Jul 2018 14:53

I've spent my whole lunch hour watching goal reaction videos. There's a quality one from the Guardian that had a fixed camera on the fans for the entire match including the whole penalty shoot out. You could see every ounce of pain, despair, joy and ecstasy on their faces. There's one particular chap in a waistcoat who is really entertaining to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtpSI8JHTlo

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 04 Jul 2018 15:08

It's been said before but literally the worst thing about the modern world is people having to get their phones out to record things rather than just enjoying the moment :|

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Jul 2018 16:35

Silver Fox It's been said before but literally the worst thing about the modern world is people having to get their phones out to record things rather than just enjoying the moment :|

Agreed totally, especially at gigs

But TBF I can barely see any in that video I posted, during the pens. It was that tense people forgot to do it

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Jul 2018 17:14

genome I've spent my whole lunch hour watching goal reaction videos. There's a quality one from the Guardian that had a fixed camera on the fans for the entire match including the whole penalty shoot out. You could see every ounce of pain, despair, joy and ecstasy on their faces. There's one particular chap in a waistcoat who is really entertaining to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtpSI8JHTlo

Not working. This live event has not yet started.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 04 Jul 2018 17:40

Hoop Blah

Didn't Pickford go to his right and save with his left as he tried to do with the Belgium goal?
I would still like to have another look at the 3 pens to see if Kane did anything prior to being wrestled to the ground.
Whatever, it works so let's keep on getting these penalties and set some sort of record.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 04 Jul 2018 17:41

paultheroyal
Hoop Blah

In other words Victor has had a mare here.

Not sure how you reach that conclusion.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 04 Jul 2018 17:43

paultheroyal
genome

ICH

I fear for people's health if we progress much further. :wink:

305 posts