MATCHWATCH : Croatia (n) sponsored by two big badges

159 posts
Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Croatia (n) sponsored by two big badges

by Zammo » 12 Jul 2018 09:21

Considering that was Croatia's third extra-time in a row, they were magnificent last night. Hats off.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Jul 2018 09:34

A decent enough performance last night but ultimately we fell a little shy of the mark in both boxes and came up short when the pressure was on.

It's been a good tournament, not only for our progress, but for the way the interest in football and the national team has been reinvigorated. I don't think we can ignore the fact that we had an easier route during this tournament (I still maintain we played just as well against Italy and Uruguay in Brazil 4 years ago as we did this year) but everything around the side seems so much more positive, and that's a great thing.

Southgate has put together a squad of decent players and turned them into a team, and that's been sadly lacking for too long now. Add in some of those players who were missing from this squad and those coming through over the next year or so and it really does feel like there's a good side and a bright future ahead of us.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 12 Jul 2018 09:34

Sanguine
bobby1413 In work this morning:

Woman 1: I watched the first half but got bored, so turned it off

Woman 2: Yea, I don't get why the ref didn't give a yellow card for the penalty
Me: Penalty? There wasn't one
Woman 2: there was, near the square bit
Me: You mean a free kick
Her: Yes, a penalty

Lady behind me at work.

Her: So when do we play again?
Colleague: Saturday evening.
Her: Oooh good. So we can still win the World Cup?

:| :roll:

She's the same idiot that always goes on about Rugby being better.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 12 Jul 2018 09:42

Don't want to make excuses, the best team probably won tbf, but can anyone explain how Dejan Lovren managed to avoid getting booked twice in the first half?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Jul 2018 09:47

Silver Fox Don't want to make excuses, the best team probably won tbf, but can anyone explain how Dejan Lovren managed to avoid getting booked twice in the first half?

I think the refereeing has been consistent all through the tournament on bookings, which should be applauded on the whole. I haven't seen the stats but I would imagine it must be one of the lowest red and yellow cards totals of all time. FIFA must have sent a directive to the officials to turn a blind eye in a lot of cases and be lenient wherever possible.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Jul 2018 09:48

The most depressing thing about this is the fact that we nearly have to focus on Reading again.

May God have mercy on us all.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Jul 2018 09:49

Stranded The most depressing thing about this is the fact that we nearly have to focus on Reading again.

May God have mercy on us all.

Why even say it........... I was watching the Colombia highlights and you say that. :D

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Jul 2018 09:51

I am actually looking forward to the Autumn internationals. Never thought I'd ever say that.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Jul 2018 09:54

Old Man Andrews I am actually looking forward to the Autumn internationals. Never thought I'd ever say that.

Yep, Nations League suddenly seems interesting.

First game against Spain under new management followed by Croatia again later in the year.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Jul 2018 09:57

Silver Fox Don't want to make excuses, the best team probably won tbf, but can anyone explain how Dejan Lovren managed to avoid getting booked twice in the first half?

The cynical foul on the halfway line should certainly have been a booking, and I've no idea how he got away with that one (I'm sure I've seen other yellows for similar in the tournament so I don't subscribe to the notion that it's a directive to be lenient).

I think it was also Lovren who got away with walking off with the ball after conceding a freekick whilst Walker got booked for exactly the same thing earlier so that made little sense to me.

Generally a pretty poor referee performance but our mistakes costs us more than his.

TheSpread

by TheSpread » 12 Jul 2018 09:57

Southgates niceness was his downfall last night. Didn't utilise his squad and subs properly.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Jul 2018 09:58

TheSpread Southgates niceness was his downfall last night. Didn't utilise his squad and subs properly.

Southgate's niceness.

You are a special breed of c*nt aren't you?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Jul 2018 10:00

TheSpread Southgates niceness was his downfall last night. Didn't utilise his squad and subs properly.

I think our lack of midfield options was probably more the cause of our downfall to be honest.

I don't agree with a few of the selections or substitutions, but I'm not sure why you'd suggest it was down to Southgate's niceness.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Jul 2018 10:10

This World Cup has had held some absolutely cracking memories for England fans.

A saunter through the Group Stages
A last-gasp winner
A 6-1 demolition of another team
A oxf*rd penalty-shootout win!
A breezy quarter-final
A potential 3rd place and golden boot winner

Not once did I think we looked overawed by the occasion. Last night, too, especially in the first half, it seemed like we had turned up mentally. I think that's the biggest thing Southgate has done - sorted out the mental side of the game for them. Eventually Croatia's quality and experience showed - let's not forget they have more world-class players than us. No qualms about losing to them, although I was upset last night, I'm more philosophical this morning.

Let's not forget that most of this squad is in their early 20s.

Bring on the oxf*rd Euros lads.

TheSpread

by TheSpread » 12 Jul 2018 10:12

Old Man Andrews

Southgate's niceness.

You are a special breed of c*nt aren't you?

Jog on cock knocker.

TheSpread

by TheSpread » 12 Jul 2018 10:14

Hoop Blah

I think our lack of midfield options was probably more the cause of our downfall to be honest.

I don't agree with a few of the selections or substitutions, but I'm not sure why you'd suggest it was down to Southgate's niceness.

Too loyal keeping Kane and Alli on the pitch (probably thinking way ahead, in case the game went to penalties). They were not fit. He should have taken them off, played Rashford up top and put RLC on instead of Alli.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 12 Jul 2018 10:22

Hoop Blah

I think maybe he should have been a bit more ruthless around the 60 min mark when it was clear that the tide had turned. Alli and Young looked off their feet and I'd have liked to see Rose and RLC on to try and wrestle some momentum back.

Don't think it was down to 'niceness' though, I think he probably just wanted to keep his best team on the field for as long as possible, which is understandable, but ultimately I do think it probably cost us.

Saying that however, what Southgate has done over the past few weeks goes much, much further than a couple of missed substitutions. He has pretty much singlehandedly changed the perception of football in this country, and has ensured that this squad set the right example for all young English footballers - especially in comparison to some of the antics we've seen from the likes of Neymar etc - and we will be reaping the rewards of that for years to come.

This has been a triumph for basic human decency, and the biggest shame of us going out the tournament is that the focus will go off that and back to all the shit in the world.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Jul 2018 10:28

Old Man Andrews I am actually looking forward to the Autumn internationals. Never thought I'd ever say that.

Bring on the international breaks :lol:

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 12 Jul 2018 10:30

genome This World Cup has had held some absolutely cracking memories for England fans.
-- snip --
Bring on the oxf*rd Euros lads.

I would also add (I think Gary Neville said similar) that it seemed to truly unite the country. With things being so fcking bitter politically, with constant and now two years worth of bloody "Brexiteers", "Remoaners", sh*t about Theresa May, arguing over anything and everything, it was just nice to have a break.

It didn't matter for the last 4 weeks. The whole country got together. Roundabouts were painted, #itscominghome was embraced throughout every town and city, with everyone feeling proud.

The only thing that comes even remotely close in my lifetime is The Olympics.

It actually seemed that this was bigger than football, it was national pride, it was 11 footballers who actually didn't seem to be like the normal footballer's we see in England shirts. There was no whiff of "he cares more about club football", and no talk of "don't you hate how much they earn?".

I felt the same watching them as I would watching 11 guys from the pub, each seemed to have a special connection with me, the country and one another.

Don't know where to start with Southgate. He really does seem to be central to the whole thing. I love his attitude, his class, his professionalism. One of the darkest times for me in relation to England is when Sam Allardyce took over. His whole demeanour is world's apart from what we now have.

I don't believe it's corny or wrong to say "Football has come home... albeit earlier than expected". The result is disappointing but we have won in other ways. As others have said, International Football now looks interesting again.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 12 Jul 2018 10:37

Maneki Neko
Scutterbucketz Wasn’t it all just good fukking fun though?

We’ve been given the opposite to the sour dish we’ve been served up for years. We weren’t all that. But that’s what the rest of us wanted. We didn’t even realise it.

I’ll remember this forever. And not even with a hint of bitterness. Xxxx

this. was good to be swept up in a campaign with no expectation, and surprised by a team better than the sum of its parts, and to have postitive and warm feelings for the england team and manager after they crash out for once.

that's all you could ever ask for imo.

Can I change my view this morning, in light of the monumental hangover I’ve got?

We were fukking shit! What a bunch of useless pcunts! Bottle jobs! Fukking bottle jobs!

I can’t believe I defaced my house for that useless shower of vvankers. I’m such a knob.

159 posts