MATCHWATCH : Croatia (n) sponsored by two big badges

159 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

MATCHWATCH : Croatia (n) sponsored by two big badges

by Sutekh » 07 Jul 2018 22:13

Well after a quite stunning quarter final Croatia managed to overcome a Russian side that just would not lie down and die despite what many, including even some Russian fans, saw as obvious shortcomings of the team.

On the upside Croatia have now had two hard struggles running to extra time and penalties in a week and on top of that they aren’t Russia and so won’t have an entire country of support right behind them on every street corner, in fact there could be a good amount of Russian support behind England now.

On the downside Croatia are rather useful and certainly the sternest test England’s first team will have faced so far. In Modric and Rakitic that have the sort of key players that can make life very difficult indeed and certainly this is going to need a lot of careful thought and planning about how to get organised.

Historically England have won 5 and lost 3 of 8 competitive games against Croatia, or their former incarnation Yugoslavia. They have never played a competitive World Cup finals game against each other.

I believe Croatia will have no suspensions despite picking up 4 bookings so will have a full squad. But then England are in the same boat.

So this is the game that makes or breaks it. Lose and. It will always be a case of “what if” as there will never be a better opportunity to make a final of anything at international level. Win and it’s something very special indeed and the dream will continue to the very end.

Either way still two games to play for England.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Croatia (n) sponsored by two big badges

by CountryRoyal » 08 Jul 2018 09:28

2-1 Kane and Stones AET.

ICH.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 08 Jul 2018 10:50

4-0 England

I
C
H

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jul 2018 11:12

Croatia have been stifled by the expectation and pressure and haven't really been playing very well in the knockout rounds IMO. They look vulnerable at the back and rather workmanlike going forward.

I think we've got a pretty good chance. Kane, Maguire and Stones could eat Vida and Lovren for breakfast set pieces.

TheSpread

by TheSpread » 08 Jul 2018 11:31

IMO Croatia have a better central midfield than us. If we can stifle Modric and Rakitić, this will be key.

2-1 England
Kane, Sterling.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 08 Jul 2018 11:37

It could be that last night's rather tepid display by Croatia had a lot to do with 8 of their players being on yellow cards-none of them were booked so their first team will be available for the semi.
I think it will be a very nervous game with two sides now realising that they are almost in a World Cup final, something that I suspect the players of both sides didn't really believe would happen when they went out to Russia..

Croatia look better than us in midfield but I think we are a generally quicker side in most areas of the pitch which could prove decisive.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Jul 2018 13:59

I think Croatia have world class midfielders who haven't really performed that well and people are worried about them based on reputation rather than what they've actually done since the group stage.

Even the comprehensive victory of Argentina looks rather less impressive in light of the Argies other results and general performances.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 08 Jul 2018 14:16

Croatia have gr8 attacking midfielders but who does the tackling/defending etc

- Kramaric plays as a second striker at club level and looks like he's playing up the field for the NT
- Modric and Rakitic are a bit lightweight and both over 30...don't get me wrong if they have the ball they're gonna hurt you

so very little cover for Lovren and Vida who really haven't covered themselves in glory at club level

obvs hoping that two 120 min + pens knockout games in hot weather have physically and mentally drained the Croats

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Jul 2018 10:26

I think set pieces will be the key again here. Croatia look like quite a small team - even Russia did them on a set piece. The lovetrain will be all over them.

Also, I keep thinking back to when Kane absolutely murdered Lovren last season - so badly that he was taken off before half-time. Let's see that again Harry

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Jul 2018 10:30

This game will be very tepid I think, the raw emotion of the Colombia game will be missing due to the players being familiar with eachother. This can only work in our favour imo.

TheSpread

by TheSpread » 09 Jul 2018 11:23

genome I think set pieces will be the key again here. Croatia look like quite a small team - even Russia did them on a set piece. The lovetrain will be all over them.

Also, I keep thinking back to when Kane absolutely murdered Lovren last season - so badly that he was taken off before half-time. Let's see that again Harry

Average height of each squad.

Croatia = 184.9 cm
England = 182.1 cm

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 09 Jul 2018 11:30

TheSpread
genome I think set pieces will be the key again here. Croatia look like quite a small team - even Russia did them on a set piece. The lovetrain will be all over them.

Croatia = 184.9 cm
England = 182.1 cm

What about their regular starting XI?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 09 Jul 2018 11:31

TheSpread

Croatia = 184.9 cm
England = 182.1 cm

Cheers Geoff.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 09 Jul 2018 11:42

TheSpread

Croatia = 184.9 cm
England = 182.1 cm

Trippier skews that badly, if he was the height of normal grown man it would be much closer

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Jul 2018 14:26

Silver Fox
TheSpread

Croatia = 184.9 cm
England = 182.1 cm

Trippier skews that badly, if he was the height of normal grown man it would be much closer

Going to say that that is a crap stat, only takes one Peter Crouch or Liam Kelly type to rather skew it. Anyway it's not what you've got it's how you use it :wink:

TheSpread

by TheSpread » 09 Jul 2018 14:31

Yes, plus they never take girth into account with these stats do they?

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 09 Jul 2018 14:41

Modric more than cancels out the Trippier effect doesn't he?

TheSpread

by TheSpread » 09 Jul 2018 14:57

6ft Kerplunk Modric more than cancels out the Trippier effect doesn't he?

Trippier 178cm
Modric 172cm

*Sterling 170cm

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 09 Jul 2018 15:27

Was Modric wearing boots with extra long studs when they measured him?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 11 Jul 2018 08:06

Woken up very, very nervous and very agitated. Just wanna go home and drink, work shouldn't be an option today especially when it involves meetings, nobody cares.
Last edited by Old Man Andrews on 11 Jul 2018 08:54, edited 1 time in total.

159 posts