Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

by BR0B0T » 22 Nov 2017 19:21

Victor Meldrew
BR0B0T
Victor Meldrew
Nobody said anything about a 1-0.
Why delighted?
Surely you want English teams to do well-it helps for future allocation of Champs League places so their qualifying and doing well might help a team that you actually like, if there is one.

you make a reasonable argument but I just really dislike LFC

Fair enough.
Apart from RFC ,that presumably we are both fans of, is there a Premier League club that you like so that I can be horrible about them when the time is right? e.g. Man Utd losing at Huddersfield or Spurs at Arsenal.

Sure, I grew up in Manchester supporting United. If they played RFC tomorrow I'd still want Utd to win (except if the points were vital for Reading)...moved down south and was obvs jealous of all the LFC glory boys in the late 80's, hence disliking them so much

I know....I need therapy :wink:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Nov 2017 08:52

Victor Meldrew
BR0B0T
BR2
Cracking game of attacking football from both sides-I think most people would prefer to see a 3-3 than a 0-0.
Liverpool are still strong favourites to go through which is good for English football going forward.
I think Moreno was over-excited about his return to Seville leading to a booking and a couple of dire defensive mistakes.
Chelsea on Saturday will be a good test after this when I hope Liverpool decide to play for the whole 90 minutes rather than for just 45.

tbf most fans would rather see their team win a boring game 1-0 than throw away a three goal lead

obvs was delighted to see them fook it up (and also 'surprisingly unsurprised' they did this....)

Why delighted?
Surely you want English teams to do well-it helps for future allocation of Champs League places so their qualifying and doing well might help a team that you actually like, if there is one.

Yes because UEFA are going to give more than 4 places to one nation just so the likes of teams outside the boring big 6 will have a better chance of qualifying once in a blue moon.

Personally think anything more than 1 place for any nation in the CHAMPIONS League is plainly ridiculous anyway

And then there's utterly ridiculous parachuting of some of the teams not good enough to get out of their CL groups into the later stages of what amounts to the Checkatrade Trophy of Europe.

Wonder if they'll ever scrap it all and have a simple European League.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 23 Nov 2017 08:59

tbf I agree with Victor. If Prem teams don't do well they can lose that 4th place

Think that happened to the Italians recently

Also helps with if all English teams are seen as strong...

(i.e don't get beat by Basle when they should have battered them)

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 23 Nov 2017 10:18

Sutekh
Victor Meldrew
BR0B0T
tbf most fans would rather see their team win a boring game 1-0 than throw away a three goal lead

obvs was delighted to see them fook it up (and also 'surprisingly unsurprised' they did this....)

Why delighted?

Yes because UEFA are going to give more than 4 places to one nation just so the likes of teams outside the boring big 6 will have a better chance of qualifying once in a blue moon.

Personally think anything more than 1 place for any nation in the CHAMPIONS League is plainly ridiculous anyway

And then there's utterly ridiculous parachuting of some of the teams not good enough to get out of their CL groups into the later stages of what amounts to the Checkatrade Trophy of Europe.

A European Cup perhaps where only champions get to enter....oh....

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 23 Nov 2017 10:51

BR2
Sutekh
Victor Meldrew
Why delighted?

great and end up playing Linfield, Limerick, Athlone Town, Sligo Rovers, Glentoran etc

(only listing Irish teams but assuming half the foreign teams were as bad as those listed above)

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 23 Nov 2017 11:06

BR0B0T
BR2
Sutekh

great and end up playing Linfield, Limerick, Athlone Town, Sligo Rovers, Glentoran etc

(only listing Irish teams but assuming half the foreign teams were as bad as those listed above)

You will see that I added "oh" to my post because it was reminding us how it used to be.
IIRC wasn't there a preliminary round for the lesser teams when it was the European Cup?
Obviously we wouldn't want any of our teams to have to play others such as the Swiss champions would we? :wink: .

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Nov 2017 15:02

Victor Meldrew
BR0B0T
BR2
Cracking game of attacking football from both sides-I think most people would prefer to see a 3-3 than a 0-0.
Liverpool are still strong favourites to go through which is good for English football going forward.
I think Moreno was over-excited about his return to Seville leading to a booking and a couple of dire defensive mistakes.
Chelsea on Saturday will be a good test after this when I hope Liverpool decide to play for the whole 90 minutes rather than for just 45.

Why delighted?

Given that as of next year the top 4 teams from the top 4 ranked countries automatically get CL group stage places, it is now virtually impossible for England to lose a spot. France are 5th and nearly 20 points behind. English teams would have to suddenly fail to get out of the group stages of any competitions for about 5 years, whilst PSG & Monaco get to the finals for there to be any risk to them losing a spot.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 28 Dec 2017 18:35

75 mil for VVD...(first with the news...etc)

A decent player who will also be exposed by the system they play

does this confirm Coutinho is off to Barca in Jan?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Dec 2017 09:42

You'd have to think that Liverpool are doing a bit of re-investment of the Coutinho money yes, although I'm not sure it means he's going in January as opposed to the summer. He won't be able to play in the Champions League and La Liga seems to be won so I'd expect him to see out the season at Liverpool.

As for the £75m, I can only assume that includes a lot of additional payments for winning the Premier League and Champions League included in that price and Southampton have made Liverpool bend over a bit after the tapping up episode in the summer.

What Liverpool really need to do next is to go and spend £40m or whatever it would take to get Jack Butland from Stoke. That and learn how to defend as a team when it's required and they'll be much closer to City than they are at present.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 02 Jan 2018 08:52

Liverpool are still improving under Klopp. And it's worth noting that their 'awful' defensive record is essentially based around four total shambles (Watford, Spurs, City, Arsenal) - outside of those games, they've conceded 10 in 18, which isn't too shabby. He's slowly put together his 'fab four', and with Keita on his way in the summer they can probably stand the loss of Coutinho, and that's without any further additions.
They look set to lose Can this month, but he's been on the periphery anyway, and they have achieved a lot of their recent wins without Henderson too.

Of course even with Van Dijk Liverpool will remain the sum of their parts, but statistically he has been one of the best centre-backs in the league at Southampton (I think I read he has made no errors leading directly to a goal in three years - for comparison Lovren has made 6), as well as being up there on passing and interception stats.

Agree that they need a keeper now - will be interesting how far they can go in the CL this season.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Jan 2018 10:40

Whoever Liverpool get in the back four will continue to get exposed by the attacking bias of their side and the apparent lack of organisation at times.

Better players should make less mistakes, but when they're getting exposed they'll start making a few and then that may hit their confidence which might then make them make more mistakes!

I do enjoy watching them play though so I kind of hope they don't change too much.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 06 Jan 2018 14:40

What's all the nonsense with Firmino and Holgate?

double d

by double d » 06 Jan 2018 16:21

When I slowed it down and tried to lip read it look like he said n****r. However a pro lip reader said it was son of a puta, which is son of a bitch in portugese. Which sounds a lot like n****r when said. I don't think firminio would say that directly in front of the ref (the n bomb)

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 06 Jan 2018 19:46

Bobby Maddeley might have been confused about whatever Firmino said but how did he miss the blatant violent conduct from Holgate?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Jan 2018 14:32

double d When I slowed it down and tried to lip read it look like he said n****r. However a pro lip reader said it was son of a puta, which is son of a bitch in portugese. Which sounds a lot like n****r when said. I don't think firminio would say that directly in front of the ref (the n bomb)

The bit where Holgate gets angry is after that though, isn't it? And just like in the Terry/Ferdinand incident it looks to me like another players head covers Firminho's face when he's saying whatever it is that really sparks off Holgate's reaction.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 07 Jan 2018 19:02

Holgate wasn’t angry when he deliberately shoved Firmino into the crowd?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Jan 2018 20:02

Silver Fox Holgate wasn’t angry when he deliberately shoved Firmino into the crowd?

Not really no.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 07 Jan 2018 20:53

Everton fans left a few stickers behind

double d

by double d » 07 Jan 2018 21:06

Oh shit :lol:

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 07 Jan 2018 21:18

Nice :lol:

Didn't know Kezmund was a toffee nose :?

8632 posts