ArsenaLOL

2279 posts
Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: ArsenaLOL

by Sanguine » 16 Mar 2018 11:14

bcubed
Winston Biscuit diving very quickly became accepted here didn't? no one is outraged by it anymore, we just shrug and let it carry on. shame.

Some day there will be a revolution and FIiFA will come down hard on divers and it will be outlawed. We can all get sniffy about it whenever it happens thereafter.

In the meantime I will continue to seethe (and be outraged inwardly)

No need to seethe with VAR on the horizon.
Personally even with the system in its current state of shambles, I'd happily take a couple of unnecessary delays every game if it means these dives don't get rewarded.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 16 Mar 2018 11:22

Can they not just issue an instant red card for diving? Players would stop risking it.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 16 Mar 2018 11:39

genome Can they not just issue an instant red card for diving? Players would stop risking it.

Does seems to me to be a slight conflict at the moment in the laws since diving remains a yellow card offence, but can be met with a retrospective ban by the FA. Would make sense to align the two.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 16 Mar 2018 13:39

Sanguine
bcubed
Winston Biscuit diving very quickly became accepted here didn't? no one is outraged by it anymore, we just shrug and let it carry on. shame.

Some day there will be a revolution and FIiFA will come down hard on divers and it will be outlawed. We can all get sniffy about it whenever it happens thereafter.

Personally even with the system in its current state of shambles, I'd happily take a couple of unnecessary delays every game if it means these dives don't get rewarded.

I don't have that amount of faith in VAR.

The idea of falling over as soon as you are even slightly touched is so engrained that diving will continue, VAR or not

I think refs should be told that if it even looks remotely like a dive then they don't give the foul.
That might redress the balance even if some genuine fouls aren't given.

A red card for obvious dives, like Welbeck's, is too severe in my view. A sin bin for ten minutes would work but there's no prospect of that ever happening ,

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 16 Mar 2018 13:41

bcubed
Sanguine
bcubed

The idea of falling over as soon as you are even slightly touched is so engrained that diving will continue, VAR or not

I think refs should be told that if it even looks remotely like a dive then they don't give the foul.

A red card for obvious dives, like Welbeck's, is too severe in my view. A sin bin for ten minutes would work but there's no prospect of that ever happening ,

The point being that last night's penalty would not have been a penalty with VAR, and Welbeck would have been booked.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 16 Mar 2018 13:46

Sanguine
bcubed
Sanguine

The point being that last night's penalty would not have been a penalty with VAR, and Welbeck would have been booked.

Assuming the VAR official saw it as a dive

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 16 Mar 2018 14:35

Sanguine
genome Can they not just issue an instant red card for diving? Players would stop risking it.

Does seems to me to be a slight conflict at the moment in the laws since diving remains a yellow card offence, but can be met with a retrospective ban by the FA. Would make sense to align the two.

Yeah. Isn't it the rule that if the referee books the player, they then can't be banned?

double d

by double d » 08 Apr 2018 14:47

Southampton doing a very good job of just putting all 11 behind the ball and parking the bus....

oh Arsenal scored :lol:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Apr 2018 18:04

I read today that Arsenal have the worst away record in 2018 of any side in the top 5 divisions of English football.

They’ve won zero games away from home this year!

That’s quite impressive.

double d

by double d » 16 Apr 2018 18:47

Hoop Blah I read today that Arsenal have the worst away record in 2018 of any side in the top 5 divisions of English football.

That’s quite impressive.

Hopefully they win the Europa league so Wenger stays another 2 years :lol:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Apr 2018 08:48

Hoop Blah I read today that Arsenal have the worst away record in 2018 of any side in the top 5 divisions of English football.

That’s quite impressive.

They've only picked up 13 points on the road all season - has them 12th in an away form table. Is only the fact they have won 13/17 home games that they are even 6th.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Apr 2018 10:10

Poor, poor Arsene Wenger is stepping down at the end of the season.

double d

by double d » 20 Apr 2018 10:13

Old Man Andrews Poor, poor Arsene Wenger is stepping down at the end of the season.

He should have gone 7 years ago. Ruined Arsenal now and has tarnished his legacy.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Apr 2018 10:17

double d
Old Man Andrews Poor, poor Arsene Wenger is stepping down at the end of the season.

He should have gone 7 years ago. Ruined Arsenal now and has tarnished his legacy.

The board and ownership at Arsenal are to blame really. They allowed Wenger too much power and effectivley he answered to nobody which is really dangerous. Arsenal are run by a lot of non-football people so they relied on Wenger heavily to steer the club in every aspect.

Wenger's biggest crime is he never changed with the times and adapted. He always wanted the beautiful football and the beautiful goals and hasn't adapted to how midfield play has become a lot more physical and tough in the last few years. This is a man who signed Xhaka over Kante.......

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Apr 2018 10:37

I think Arsenal never really replaced Vieira. They've not had a truly impressive defensive midfielder since then and I've always thought they've lacked the balls or leadership in midfield. Brilliant attacking talent, no real "dirty work" type of player.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 20 Apr 2018 10:40

Brendon Rodgers odds shortening already.

double d

by double d » 20 Apr 2018 10:44

THAT. WOULD. BE. HILARIOUS.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Apr 2018 10:44

windermereROYAL Brendon Rodgers odds shortening already.

Too much of a nice guy. The status quo would be maintained and the players will remain in their comfort zone I feel. Arsenal need a hard taskmaster who will rule with an iron rod. They should be doing all they can to secure the services of Diego Simeone who clearly is a manager who likes a long term project and is a passionate and well respected leader of men. He wouldn't allow the likes of Ozil to just drift through life the way he does under Wenger.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 20 Apr 2018 11:01

One of the biggest LOLz in history will be when Arsenal win the Europa League and Wenger turns to the camera and says "Maybe one more go at the Champions League eh?"

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 20 Apr 2018 11:06

I think we can all agree on the best moment of his tenure

2279 posts