The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

8673 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

by Sutekh » 03 Oct 2018 17:22

Apparently the cabbage has been appointed as caretaker.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 03 Oct 2018 19:06

Sutekh Apparently the cabbage has been appointed as caretaker.

If we appoint a cabbage I think it would do a better job.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 04 Oct 2018 09:17

Villa had a penalty saved in the 97th minute. If the penalty taker had placed it just 6 inches further to the side so it wasn't saved Villa would have got the win and been level on points with 6th place.

I wonder if Villa fans would have been so angry and Bruce would have been sacked if that small single kick of the ball had been different

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Oct 2018 09:20

Winston Biscuit Villa had a penalty saved in the 97th minute. If the penalty taker had placed it just 6 inches further to the side so it wasn't saved Villa would have got the win and been level on points with 6th place.

I wonder if Villa fans would have been so angry and Bruce would have been sacked if that small single kick of the ball had been different

They are going to live to regret this. For their sake I hope they appoint Dean Smith because they will do ok under him. I have a feeling they will go for an exciting, left field option though and royally f*ck themselves over.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 04 Oct 2018 10:42

Old Man Andrews
Winston Biscuit Villa had a penalty saved in the 97th minute. If the penalty taker had placed it just 6 inches further to the side so it wasn't saved Villa would have got the win and been level on points with 6th place.

They are going to live to regret this. For their sake I hope they appoint Dean Smith because they will do ok under him. I have a feeling they will go for an exciting, left field option though and royally f*ck themselves over.

I'm all for starting the "Stam to Villa" rumour.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 04 Oct 2018 11:06

Villa need to sort the off-field stuff before the on.

However, with a squad that still contains players from the relegation season (Alan Hutton is still there!), from di Matteo's spell and from both of Bruce's splashings of the cash, I can see them struggling for a bit. The squad has some talents but it also has expensive makeweights and players far from achieving their potential.

Anyway, behind the scenes its broadly fucked. So they can't take a step back and sort things as they're expected to do well but it needs a proper restructuring.

Good luck with all of that.

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 04 Oct 2018 11:17

What do you think would have happened if we scored that Penalty at Wembley 2 years ago?

Do you think we would still have Stam and be in the PL?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 04 Oct 2018 11:17

Kulshaw72RFC

What do you think would have happened if we scored that Penalty at Wembley 2 years ago?

Do you think we would still have Stam and be in the PL?

too many variables once you are up to really know, Kulshaw.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 04 Oct 2018 11:29

Villa supporting colleagues of mine's main gripe with Bruce is that they've got one fit centre back in James Chester, and have been fudging it by playing Jedinak in as a makeshift centre back pretty much the whole season. The squad on Tuesday night had just Chester (who got sent off and now misses three games) and four right backs in. This after having a few transfer windows to deal with this problem, Terry buggering off at the end of the season and Elphick being allowed out on loan without a replacement.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 04 Oct 2018 11:46

... but they've got what seems to be every single winger and striker it could be possible to get.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Oct 2018 11:47

Yeah they have no excuses on the pitch, their attacking options are probably second to none in the division.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 04 Oct 2018 12:31

So it's the forwards' fault for not scoring enough goals to compensate for having no defence?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Oct 2018 12:34

From Despair To Where? So it's the forwards' fault for not scoring enough goals to compensate for having no defence?

It is of such a high quality that it should negate a lot of their defensive woes yes, especially at Championship level. Perhaps Bruce was being too cautious leaving his defence exposed unnecessarily. Were they playing to their strengths? Probably not.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 04 Oct 2018 12:42

Old Man Andrews
From Despair To Where? So it's the forwards' fault for not scoring enough goals to compensate for having no defence?

It is of such a high quality that it should negate a lot of their defensive woes yes, especially at Championship level. Perhaps Bruce was being too cautious leaving his defence exposed unnecessarily. Were they playing to their strengths? Probably not.

That's bollocks and you know it.

Buck stops with Bruce for expensively building an unbalanced squad full of over-rated show ponies like McCormick and Lansbury and absolutely no defensive cover. Villa only have 4 players worth a shiny shit; Grealish, Hourihane, Kodjia and Adomah.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Oct 2018 12:46

From Despair To Where?
Old Man Andrews

That's bollocks and you know it.

Buck stops with Bruce for expensively building an unbalanced squad full of over-rated show ponies like McCormick and Lansbury and absolutely no defensive cover. Villa only have 4 players worth a shiny shit; Grealish, Hourihane, Kodjia and Adomah.

No it doesn't. Decisions were taken out of Steve Bruce's hands in the summer, you really think he wanted to have a severe lack of defenders and defensive cover? They had to reduce their wage bill and made many cuts. Bruce's mistake is to play in a way which doesn't play to their obvious strengths, they are too cautious and invite pressure in games.

Are you seriously denying that they have the most dangerous attack in the Championship?

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 04 Oct 2018 12:55

Midfield includes: Lansbury, Grealish, Bolasie, Hourihane, Adomah
Strikers include: Kodijah, Abraham, El Ghazi, Hogan

Their defence isn't exactly shabby.

It is criminal that team are not in the top 6.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 04 Oct 2018 13:10

Old Man Andrews
Are you seriously denying that they have the most dangerous attack in the Championship?

At the moment, yes I would and it is because of the way they have been playing.

Hogan - 7 goals in 50 games for Villa.
Kodjia - 4 goals in his last 30 appearances.

They are heavily reliant on loanees and meanwhile they have £10m, £35,000 a week players doing fcuk all. This is a shitstorm that has been waiting to happen for 2 years, it's not something that happened over the summer. Their defence was held together last season by 37 year old on £80,000 a week and their fans were saying this 12 months ago, in fact they were talking in terms of Promotion or bust 2 years ago.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 04 Oct 2018 13:20

Old Man Andrews

I think that was a deliberately stupid comment on FDTW posted for effect and to see what responses it got.

Fishing, if you will.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 04 Oct 2018 13:21

The problems are all to do with behind the scenes stuff and three if not four managers squads packaged, with a promotion or bust mentality that starts at the top.

Even if Bruce had got promoted, the other issues would have remained.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 04 Oct 2018 13:25

stealthpapes The problems are all to do with behind the scenes stuff and three if not four managers squads packaged, with a promotion or bust mentality that starts at the top.

Even if Bruce had got promoted, the other issues would have remained.

Anything sound familiar about this... (although maybe not quite promotion or bust)

8673 posts