The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

8696 posts
Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

by Brum Royal » 08 Oct 2018 13:30

Hoop Blah
BR0B0T When is Mark Hughes getting sacked? Great player, terrible manager!

He's got worse, but that might be a product of the teams he's having to manage, but he wasn't always a poor manager.

He did well for Wales, Blackburn and, to an extent, City before things have certainly gone downhill. I think he did a decent enough job at Stoke initially too, but nothing that really seemed sustainable, more just an uplift after releasing the Pulis handbrake!

He can't last long at Southampton though.

From F365:

Mark Hughes
Twenty-two points from his last 30 matches as a Premier League manager. The evidence of this season would suggest that Hughes has dragged Southampton down to his level.

They suffer from a lack of ambition against the weaker teams and can’t even lay a glove on the best clubs. If that makes Southampton sound like a mush lacking any obvious identity, Hughes’ critics might suggest that this is his party trick.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 10 Oct 2018 22:25

Dean Smith in at Aston Villa. John Terry assistant manager.

Think Brentford will be ok. With their business model I don't think it will matter too much who is in charge there, the wheels will keep on turning.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 11 Oct 2018 09:20

Old Man Andrews Dean Smith in at Aston Villa. John Terry assistant manager.

Think Brentford will be ok. With their business model I don't think it will matter too much who is in charge there, the wheels will keep on turning.

Sort of like the Watford of the Championship, you could say?

Do you think any of the Brentford lads will get snapped up? I liked the look of the centre back against us a couple of weeks ago, no. 26 I think.

I still don't think they'll go up and sincerely hope they don't. Ideas above their station - they stay.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 11 Oct 2018 09:29

John Smith

Sort of like the Watford of the Championship, you could say?

Do you think any of the Brentford lads will get snapped up? I liked the look of the centre back against us a couple of weeks ago, no. 26 I think.

I still don't think they'll go up and sincerely hope they don't. Ideas above their station - they stay.

They will probably put the assistant manager in charge I'd think, he will likely stick to Dean Smith philosophy and it is cheaper. Brentford are a club who do things on the cheap and try to get maximum reward. Premier League football would be great and all but it would mean them having to spend a huge amount of money, something they really don't want to do. They like to invest in lower league talent and develop them in order to sell on for huge profit, it clearly works and nothing will change at Brentford until it doesn't. They have a new stadium being built and I would imgaine have gone a long way to paying for it with their transfer dealings alone.

I think you are referring to Chris Mepham. Very highly regarded and not far away from a big move to a top level Championship side or lower end Premier League side. Already playing for Wales aged 20, top prospect.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Oct 2018 09:38

John Terry to be AV manager by Christmas 2019 has to be a decent bet. Strange that Smith has essentially been told who his staff will be rather than looking to bring in his own team.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 11 Oct 2018 09:59

Old Man Andrews
I think you are referring to Chris Mepham. Very highly regarded and not far away from a big move to a top level Championship side or lower end Premier League side. Already playing for Wales aged 20, top prospect.

He's good but the player I was referring to was Ezri Konsa

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 11 Oct 2018 10:09

Stranded

John Terry to be AV manager by Christmas 2019 has to be a decent bet. Strange that Smith has essentially been told who his staff will be rather than looking to bring in his own team.

Terry to fill the Martin "Mad Dog" Allen role?

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 Oct 2018 11:14

Uke
Stranded

Terry to fill the Martin "Mad Dog" Allen role?

Terry to fill the Marcus Junius Brutus role, I would suggest.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 12 Oct 2018 13:57

John Smith
Old Man Andrews

He's good but the player I was referring to was Ezri Konsa

Who scored last night for the U21s

Kulshaw72RFC

by Kulshaw72RFC » 13 Oct 2018 10:18

Henry is the new Monaco boss. Good appointment.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 13 Oct 2018 12:05

Monaco can't get much worse than they have been this season.

They have some kind league fixtures coming up, he should get off to a good start really

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 16 Oct 2018 17:19

So are Brentford sticking with Thomas Frank?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Oct 2018 08:03

John Smith So are Brentford sticking with Thomas Frank?

Yeah probably a wise move. Will keep things more or less status quo and knows all of the players. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Oct 2018 09:22

Old Man Andrews

Yeah probably a wise move. Will keep things more or less status quo and knows all of the players. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Makes sense really. Frank, though, may be the only manager to ever resign after the club chairman logged on to a fans forum under a pseudonym to insult him.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 18 Oct 2018 09:30

Stranded
Old Man Andrews

Makes sense really. Frank, though, may be the only manager to ever resign after the club chairman logged on to a fans forum under a pseudonym to insult him.

I wouldn't speak too soon...big Ron G might be making a Hobnob account as we speak!

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Oct 2018 09:35

John Smith
Stranded
Old Man Andrews

I wouldn't speak too soon...big Ron G might be making a Hobnob account as we speak!

Who goes first John, Gourlay or Clement?

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 18 Oct 2018 10:06

Shaun Maloney is the new Belgium assistant manager. Would like to hear how he goes about training Kevin De Bruyne.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 18 Oct 2018 10:07

Old Man Andrews
John Smith
Stranded

Who goes first John, Gourlay or Clement?

Clement, without doubt. I think the fact we've seen articles start to appear already about his future means something could be bubbling under. Two big fixtures against dross sides coming up will probably mean a result on his return to Swans on 27th October could be paramount.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Oct 2018 11:32

Winston Biscuit Shaun Maloney is the new Belgium assistant manager. Would like to hear how he goes about training Kevin De Bruyne.

I hadn't realised Maloney had been with Belgium for the last couple of months as a coach/assistant. Quite an interesting move.

As for coaching, well he's got a better playing pedigree than the likes of Fergie, Wenger or Jose, so I'm sure he'll manage in one way or another.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 18 Oct 2018 19:53

John Smith
Stranded
Old Man Andrews

he posts as Snowflake Royal

8696 posts