The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

8673 posts
Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

by Pepe the Horseman » 11 Jan 2019 08:53

Karanka gone. Asked to be released according to Forest.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 11 Jan 2019 09:22

Something not right at that club, this should help us.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 11 Jan 2019 10:15

Old Man Andrews Something not right at that club, this should help us.

I'm guessing mass panic behind the scenes. Given the amount they have spent, if they don't go up this season they could be in serious trouble one way or another.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 14 Jan 2019 17:48

Martin O'Neill to be the new Forest manager.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Jan 2019 18:15

Wagner leaving Huddersfield.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 15 Jan 2019 09:16

Old Man Andrews Wagner leaving Huddersfield.

obvious to say now but he should have walked away at the end of last season as the hero who took them up and kept them up.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Jan 2019 09:20

Winston Biscuit

obvious to say now but he should have walked away at the end of last season as the hero who took them up and kept them up.

They had a laughable summer transfer window, not sure what their chairman thought would happen. Wagner will get a decent job in Germany or a top level Championship job I'd imagine.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Jan 2019 09:45

Old Man Andrews
Winston Biscuit

They had a laughable summer transfer window, not sure what their chairman thought would happen. Wagner will get a decent job in Germany or a top level Championship job I'd imagine.

The way Wagner has his teams play he will be very successful if he has a squad of players up to the level needed. He did an incredible job to keep what was essentially a top half Championship team up last year, if anything they are weaker this. Give him a squad of PL quality players and his style would likely see them finish anywhere from 7th to 12th.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 15 Jan 2019 09:51

Yeah I do think Wagner seems to have something about him. Some managers benefit from big spending or just being at a club at the rigt time, I don't think you can say that about him and he took a small time club up to the PL against all odds. Can't really be a fluke imo

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 15 Jan 2019 10:09

Winston Biscuit Yeah I do think Wagner seems to have something about him. Some managers benefit from big spending or just being at a club at the rigt time, I don't think you can say that about him and he took a small time club up to the PL against all odds. Can't really be a fluke imo

File under Marco Silva as a sort of 'continental semi-fraud'?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 15 Jan 2019 10:10

Happy to be corrected but I'm pretty sure Winston is suggesting the exact opposite :|

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 Jan 2019 11:53

Winston Biscuit Yeah I do think Wagner seems to have something about him. Some managers benefit from big spending or just being at a club at the rigt time, I don't think you can say that about him and he took a small time club up to the PL against all odds. Can't really be a fluke imo

As you say, sometimes the stars align and things just fall into place for a manager. It doesn't mean it's a fluke as such, but it doesn't mean it's something they could recreate elsewhere.

He did a good job though, albeit I've never watched as boring a game as that Playoff final.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 15 Jan 2019 15:53

Slightly odd that It would appear both Karanka and WAgner instigated their own departures, although for quitedifferent reasons. Neither appear to have other jobs lined up, not often a manager just quits like that.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 15 Jan 2019 16:02

Nameless Slightly odd that It would appear both Karanka and WAgner instigated their own departures, although for quitedifferent reasons. Neither appear to have other jobs lined up, not often a manager just quits like that.

Maybe they are going to elope :?

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 15 Jan 2019 16:21

Nameless Slightly odd that It would appear both Karanka and WAgner instigated their own departures, although for quitedifferent reasons. Neither appear to have other jobs lined up, not often a manager just quits like that.

It's just for face-saving purposes. They are paid off handsomely to make it look like they've walked so they don't actually have a sacking on their CV.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 15 Jan 2019 16:45

WoodleyRoyal

Maybe they are going to elope :?

:)

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Jan 2019 09:55

John Smith

It's just for face-saving purposes. They are paid off handsomely to make it look like they've walked so they don't actually have a sacking on their CV.

I'm not sure that's the case with these two.

Karanka has a bit of a history of walking out as didn't he do it twice at 'Boro before they talked him into staying? He's probably the one of the two who's most likely to have got the sack though. Forest don't have the best of records for showing patience these days.

With Wagner I tend to believe the story of him suggesting he walks away in the summer and them just agreeing to bring it forward. Once you've got thoughts like that in your head I do think it's best to make it a clean break or things just go from bad to worse (see Fergie's planned retirement season and of course Coppell post-car park season).

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 16 Jan 2019 10:08

Going really well for Nathan Jones at Stoke.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 Jan 2019 10:14

Hoop Blah
John Smith

I'm not sure that's the case with these two.

Karanka has a bit of a history of walking out as didn't he do it twice at 'Boro before they talked him into staying? He's probably the one of the two who's most likely to have got the sack though. Forest don't have the best of records for showing patience these days.

With Wagner I tend to believe the story of him suggesting he walks away in the summer and them just agreeing to bring it forward. Once you've got thoughts like that in your head I do think it's best to make it a clean break or things just go from bad to worse (see Fergie's planned retirement season and of course Coppell post-car park season).

Fergie's planned retirement season when they won the league? Would say that was quite successful, myself.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 16 Jan 2019 10:26

He first planned to retire in 01-02. He changed his mind in February of that season. Arsenal won the league. Strong rumours that United had a post-world cup Eriksson lined up.

and, if you want a trip back in time: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 338641.stm

8673 posts