The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

8673 posts
Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

by Winston Biscuit » 16 Jan 2019 10:29

Hoop Blah Once you've got thoughts like that in your head I do think it's best to make it a clean break or things just go from bad to worse (see Fergie's planned retirement season and of course Coppell post-car park season).

Isn't that the season we took our chances of automatic promotion down to the very last day of the season?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Jan 2019 11:59

Hendo Fergie's planned retirement season when they won the league? Would say that was quite successful, myself.

Fergie didn't announce his retirement until after they won the league in 2013.

The year he announced his retirement the first time around they were something like 6th or 7th before he changed his mind halfway through the season. The players had taken a few months off. They then went on a great run of form once they knew he was hanging around and finished 3rd I think.

He'd given them, and perhaps himself, an excuse. As Rafa seems not to learn at Newcastle, when you give players an excuse to be below par they'll take it.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Jan 2019 13:36

Winston Biscuit
Hoop Blah Once you've got thoughts like that in your head I do think it's best to make it a clean break or things just go from bad to worse (see Fergie's planned retirement season and of course Coppell post-car park season).

Isn't that the season we took our chances of automatic promotion down to the very last day of the season?

True!!!

To my mind it was still a mistake though. I've always felt it held back our rebuild and I'm pretty sure Coppell has said he shouldn't have stayed too as he was still too loyal to his squad (I might well have made that last bit up at some point!).

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Jan 2019 15:57

Marcelo Bielsa has called an impromptu press conference for 5pm UK time. Could be off?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 Jan 2019 15:59

Stranded Marcelo Bielsa has called an impromptu press conference for 5pm UK time. Could be off?

This feels like classic Massimo Cellino territory.

If the wheels came off now... :lol:

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 24 Jan 2019 19:49

Denver Royal Bruce is having knee surgery and wants time to recover, apparently.

He's just been caught in the classic phoning in sick and getting picked out by tv cameras at a sporting event. Currently topping up his tan in the Caribbean watching the cricket.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 24 Jan 2019 20:22

Monaco sack Henry

Sounding like Jardim is going back there 3 months after they got rid of him

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 25 Jan 2019 01:17

6ft Kerplunk
Denver Royal Bruce is having knee surgery and wants time to recover, apparently.

He's just been caught in the classic phoning in sick and getting picked out by tv cameras at a sporting event. Currently topping up his tan in the Caribbean watching the cricket.

Ha, nice work if you can get it. Although, thought he agreed with Wed not to take over til Feb? Tbf, Windies prolly not bad place in Winter to convalescence from knee surgery.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 25 Jan 2019 09:43

Denver Royal
6ft Kerplunk

Ha, nice work if you can get it. Although, thought he agreed with Wed not to take over til Feb? Tbf, Windies prolly not bad place in Winter to convalescence from knee surgery.

I presume the Reading game there in February will be his first home game in charge if not the first game itself.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 25 Jan 2019 09:45

Sutekh
Denver Royal
6ft Kerplunk He's just been caught in the classic phoning in sick and getting picked out by tv cameras at a sporting event. Currently topping up his tan in the Caribbean watching the cricket.

I presume the Reading game there in February will be his first home game in charge if not the first game itself.

Dr Reading FC will get him off to a nice, comfortable start no doubt.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 25 Jan 2019 11:08

Winston Biscuit Monaco sack Henry

Sounding like Jardim is going back there 3 months after they got rid of him

Who'd of thought that someone with no managerial experience, going to a relegation threatened team, would fail?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Jan 2019 14:02

Sutekh
Denver Royal
6ft Kerplunk He's just been caught in the classic phoning in sick and getting picked out by tv cameras at a sporting event. Currently topping up his tan in the Caribbean watching the cricket.

It will be. He is in the Barbados for the cricket as he had made a promise to his father-in-law to go before the job offer came in. Fair play to him for keeping to that promise after the time he's had of late.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Jan 2019 18:17

Not a sacking, but Marco Silva is threatening to resign if Idrissa Gueye gets sold to PSG

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Jan 2019 19:05

genome Not a sacking, but Marco Silva is threatening to resign if Idrissa Gueye gets sold to PSG

Roughly translated as "im really oxf*rd struggling at the club and I need an excuse to leave".

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Jan 2019 20:01

Old Man Andrews
genome Not a sacking, but Marco Silva is threatening to resign if Idrissa Gueye gets sold to PSG

Roughly translated as "im really oxf*rd struggling at the club and I need an excuse to leave".

Why give up the huge payout?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 30 Jan 2019 20:03

genome
Old Man Andrews

He'd end up leaving by mutual consent or something. Still gets a bit of a payout. That appointment hasn't worked at all, had them nailed on to well this season.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 30 Jan 2019 20:10

Old Man Andrews
genome
Old Man Andrews Roughly translated as "im really oxf*rd struggling at the club and I need an excuse to leave".

He'd end up leaving by mutual consent or something. Still gets a bit of a payout. That appointment hasn't worked at all, had them nailed on to well this season.

I can't quite figure Everton out. A few years ago them and Tottenham were pretty much the same club, Everton bought some quality players and have invested really well (on paper)... but they've not kicked on at all, and Spurs are now light-years ahead of them.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 31 Jan 2019 09:38

genome
Old Man Andrews
genome

I can't quite figure Everton out. A few years ago them and Tottenham were pretty much the same club, Everton bought some quality players and have invested really well (on paper)... but they've not kicked on at all, and Spurs are now light-years ahead of them.

IMO the difference between the two? spurs have a world class acadamy, i think with the players they have been churning out over the last few years is making it one of if not the best academy in the world atm

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 31 Jan 2019 13:42

WoodleyRoyal
genome
Old Man Andrews

IMO the difference between the two? spurs have a world class acadamy, i think with the players they have been churning out over the last few years is making it one of if not the best academy in the world atm

So that's Kane from about 7 years ago, Winks and............................................................................?
The rest of their current first team were bought.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 31 Jan 2019 15:21

yeah, a bit baffled by the academy talk tbh

reckon if spurs dropped out the top 4 they would find it very hard to get back in

8673 posts