13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

The great football rip off?

by floyd__streete » 15 Oct 2014 13:02

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29626776

"football fans are forced to incur above-inflation rises in admission prices."

:|

They aren't though. They aren't forced to pay exponentially increasing prices to watch (for the most part) overrated or second rate 'athletes' pout and cheat their way through matches while encouraged by rabid coaches to intimidate the officials and disrespect the laws of the game which have endured for 150-odd years.

Don't like the price of football? Go and watch a non league game. For what reason exactly are you paying big money every week or shelling out a lump sum? It isn't as if there is much by way of atmoshpere in any ground these days.

Always makes me laugh too when the price of food and drink gets pointed out.....erm, I expect you were planning to eat and drink during your day at some stage anyway, I can't recommend enough doing that before and/or after your visit to a football ground or theme park or cinema etc. etc.

Spurious claims in this article. "Arsenal and other clubs have a strong local monopoly over me and thousands of others." You can watch them online, from your sofa :!:

I dislike being victim to 'market forces' as much as the next man but the bottom line is this is 2014 not 1914. More 'liberal agenda' rubbish from the BBC in this article. No-one is forcing you to go.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The great football rip off?

by Sanguine » 15 Oct 2014 13:09

You don't think it's important that people attend football matches?

Going to the game IS football. Going to see the team you support is what the game is all about, from a fan's perspective. It's a totally legitimate complaint.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 15 Oct 2014 13:12

You don't think it's important that people attend football matches?

Nope. Not in the slightest. Not at the very top level, in any case. Perhaps even at Championship level also. For the gate money is a mere fraction of the income. Get those SKY games played at a time which suits the Chinese audience, please :!: Its all about maximising profits. Stop being such a romantic.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 15 Oct 2014 13:24

I can't work out if you are bemoaning the state of the modern game, how it is disenfranchised from fans, or actually supporting it.

It's not romantic to think that the 'normal' fan shouldn't be priced out of the national game, irrespective of who they support.

dizzynewheights
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Waitin at a red light, Kentucky Fried Chicken in, Low End Theory tape in, bass crazy kicking in

by dizzynewheights » 16 Oct 2014 09:48

floyd__streete

I dislike being victim to 'market forces' as much as the next man but the bottom line is this is 2014 not 1914. More 'liberal agenda' rubbish from the BBC in this article. No-one is forcing you to go.

sounds to me like you're the one with the agenda here m8

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 16 Oct 2014 11:31

I think Floyd is having some trouble with the meaning of the word "liberal" at the moment.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 16 Oct 2014 12:42

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29549474

More PC/perceived social injustice Trolling from the BBC. Third kits are a rip off :?: Don't buy them then :!: Oh but my kids want them :!: :|

Good to see our st8-sponsored broadcaster dealing with the big issues as usual.

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 16 Oct 2014 13:39

Hi Flloyd, do you remember a couple of weeks ago I said it was ironic you calling Hodgson 'curmudgeonly', and you said I was a loon. Do you see what I was getting at now?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 17 Oct 2014 10:22

floyd__streete http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29626776

"football fans are forced to incur above-inflation rises in admission prices."

:|

They aren't though. They aren't forced to pay exponentially increasing prices to watch (for the most part) overrated or second rate 'athletes' pout and cheat their way through matches while encouraged by rabid coaches to intimidate the officials and disrespect the laws of the game which have endured for 150-odd years.

Don't like the price of football? Go and watch a non league game. For what reason exactly are you paying big money every week or shelling out a lump sum? It isn't as if there is much by way of atmoshpere in any ground these days.

Always makes me laugh too when the price of food and drink gets pointed out.....erm, I expect you were planning to eat and drink during your day at some stage anyway, I can't recommend enough doing that before and/or after your visit to a football ground or theme park or cinema etc. etc.

Spurious claims in this article. "Arsenal and other clubs have a strong local monopoly over me and thousands of others." You can watch them online, from your sofa :!:

Don't watch Non-League football because it's shite.

Pouting, second rate athletes>>>>>>>>third rate Non-League Plodders.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 17 Oct 2014 10:34

floyd__streete http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29626776

Non-League football is benefiting from the sky high prices many football league/Premier League clubs charge. A former Liverpool season ticket holder I know hasn't renewed for two years now (he was peeved at the club charging out of context prices for games like the Europa League, league cup, FA Cup and some league games) - and follows Marine instead. Scrooge McDuck, still goes to the odd Reading game, but follows Dulwich Hamlet now. TBH - it does have it's appeal as I feel non-league clubs value their supporters more and there is a closer relationship with the club, the supporters and the players. Something big clubs could learn from. German clubs seem to get it right.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 17 Oct 2014 12:59

NFA's opinion > Sandman's rather opinion on this subject. I hope that Sandman enjoys paying £30 for the privilege of the Madejski Stadium experience tomorrow,

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 17 Oct 2014 20:22

Interesting article on the Beeb sports website recently about 1000 Brits who regularly travel to watch Borussia Dortmund where ticket, transport, overnight accommodation and beers can be had for the price of a top end Premier ticket.

The Borussia owners prevented the caterers from increasing beer prices because it would hit the fans in the wallet.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 18 Oct 2014 07:11

German clubs = caring about the punters
British clubs = couldn't give a flying one

13 posts   •   Page 1 of 1