Next England Manager

248 posts
Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Next England Manager

by Zammo » 28 Jun 2016 11:31

genome Eddie Howe

I’ve warmed to this idea. Seems a level headed guy and being young would have more in common with this current crop of players.

On a side note, from the last qualifier at the end of last year what on earth has Woy been doing? Six months to prepare and shape a side for tournament football, especially having learnt the lessons from Brazil. Never in my life have I seen a more abject display. He should never work in football again.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Jun 2016 12:12

Zammo
genome Eddie Howe

I’ve warmed to this idea. Seems a level headed guy and being young would have more in common with this current crop of players.

On a side note, from the last qualifier at the end of last year what on earth has Woy been doing? Six months to prepare and shape a side for tournament football, especially having learnt the lessons from Brazil. Never in my life have I seen a more abject display. He should never work in football again.

I'd go as far to say that Lewington and Neville also should never be allowed anywhere near an England team ever again.

And everyone wonders why the players were lacking on the field. Absolutely no direction or motivation or gameplay coming from the management team. Every time the camera showed Roy during the game last night he seemed to be holding his head in his hands. I, and most other people on this board ,would have done better job organising a squad and getting a team to play in the tournament than Roy Hodgson - England's very own Terry Bullivant.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 28 Jun 2016 12:48

Zammo On a side note, from the last qualifier at the end of last year what on earth has Woy been doing? Six months to prepare and shape a side for tournament football, especially having learnt the lessons from Brazil. Never in my life have I seen a more abject display. He should never work in football again.

The whole squad had Tuesday and Wednesday off after Slovakia. What did £3.5m-per-annum-from-the-FA Woy do? Go and watch potential last-16 opponents Iceland in Paris? Nope, takes Ray Lewington on a Seine boat trip instead, because he'd never seen the Eiffel Tower before.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 28 Jun 2016 15:14

Steve Coppell's management style would suit the England job perfectly.

He never changes a winning team. He knows how he wants to play. He knows his system. He doesn't keep chopping and changing.

One8Seven1*

by One8Seven1* » 28 Jun 2016 15:35

There isn't an English manager good enough for the job at the moment. The idea of Pardew or Southgate is farcical. It has to be a foreigner. Someone who can coach attacking attractive football, and someone who has half an idea about tactics this time..

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Jun 2016 15:44

Top Flight Steve Coppell's management style would suit the England job perfectly.

He never changes a winning team. He knows how he wants to play. He knows his system. He doesn't keep chopping and changing.

Absolutely agree but sadly Steve has more sense than most and knows not to take such a role and be pilloried left right and centre for not picking the latest English saviour or failing to beat some team from the back of beyond.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 28 Jun 2016 16:44

Martin O'Neill.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 28 Jun 2016 17:42

I am surprised no one has mentioned the most obvious choice. It can only be...Ian Royal.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 28 Jun 2016 17:56

Lars Lagerbak. Would be cheap, massively experienced International coach, clearly knows how to organise a team and get the very best out of his players and England have never beaten an International side managed by him.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 28 Jun 2016 21:13

Klinsmann

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 28 Jun 2016 21:36

John Madejski's Wallet Klinsmann

I'd take that.....

Or Shearer.

Just something different. You don't need to be a coach or bags of experience. Someone who the players will respect and someone with some tactical nous.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 28 Jun 2016 22:03

paultheroyal

I'd take that.....

Or Shearer.

Just something different. You don't need to be a coach or bags of experience. Someone who the players will respect and someone with some tactical nous.

Exactly. We don't need any fancy foreign managers.

Just look at Chris Coleman. We need a manager who can organise the side, play to a system and not experiment endlessly. Let's have a first choice 11 and tinker around the edges.

We need a manager who can foster a great team spirit. Probably a less fashionable name will be more likely to be able to do that.

My first choice is Coppell. After that it's Pardew and then after that someone like Allardyce or Pulis. I don't want another foreign manager in charge. The Eriksson and Capello era's were the worst period for English football followed closely after that by Hodgson. I quite liked Hodgson but it's clear he has to go. He never could work out his best 11 and he kept experimenting. At some point you need to get consistency going on. You can't keep every player happy in the end. It's always going to be arguable who the best 11 is in England when we have so many players of a similar level to choose from.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Jun 2016 22:08

Libertine I am surprised no one has mentioned the most obvious choice. It can only be...Ian Royal.

No one could effectively manage that shower of shit. They don't have the right mentality.

royal67

by royal67 » 28 Jun 2016 22:12

Top Flight The Eriksson and Capello era's were the worst period for English football

Funny that, Capello has the highest win percentage of any England Manager. Obviously did a shit job..........

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 29 Jun 2016 01:36

Ian Royal
Libertine I am surprised no one has mentioned the most obvious choice. It can only be...Ian Royal.

No one could effectively manage that shower of shit. They don't have the right mentality.

:? :lol:

Truth be told the pressure put on the players (multiple generations) by the press and public has resulted in repeated choke jobs. They are too concerned about not failing to concentrate on winning...

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict

by Libertine » 29 Jun 2016 01:38

You can have him. He is long on motivating players while being short on tactical nous. But maybe right now England needs someone to motivate the players more than someone concerned with trivial things like tactics.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Jun 2016 09:25

royal67
Top Flight The Eriksson and Capello era's were the worst period for English football

Funny that, Capello has the highest win percentage of any England Manager. Obviously did a shit job..........

And the last time England won a knock out game was under Eriksson - it's almost as if they were actually decent managers making the best out of an over-rated squad of players but as they weren't English were and still are easy targets.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 29 Jun 2016 09:34

Libertine

You can have him. He is long on motivating players while being short on tactical nous. But maybe right now England needs someone to motivate the players more than someone concerned with trivial things like tactics.

^^ That's exactly what i'd want him for

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 29 Jun 2016 10:06

Stranded
royal67

And the last time England won a knock out game was under Eriksson - it's almost as if they were actually decent managers making the best out of an over-rated squad of players but as they weren't English were and still are easy targets.

Eriksson and Capello presided over our so called "Golden Generation". They should have done alot better. But they couldn't balance the team properly. Maybe they should have gone with either Lampard or Gerrard, but not both. Sir Alf Ramsey didn't play the very best players. He played the best, most balanced team. Jimmy Greaves had to miss out because of it.

Hodgson making 6 changes from one game to the next in the tournament is nuts. He was still experimenting in the Portugal game before the tournament.

Wales on the other hand have had the same settled side for the past 2 years. Wales know exactly what they are doing and what system they are playing. They didn't need a fashionable manager to achieve consistency, organisation and great team spirit. Iceland's manager is a part time dentist for goodness sake.

I don't think we failed this time around because of a lack of spirit or desire. We looked disorganised and unsure of our gameplan. That has to be the managers fault.

We don't need a fashionable name. Neil Warnock could do a very good job as an England manager.

Sir Bobby Robsons England team was very settled. We all knew what that lineup would be. England just need to stick to a plan.

The very best choice for England is probably Steve Coppell. His management methods would suit the England job better than anybody else. But the FA will just waste money on an expensive coach and will achieve nothing again.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 29 Jun 2016 11:43

Don’t understand the Coppell for England love in. Where’s he been since Reading? Also, his Manchester City experience suggests that being in that kind of spotlight isn’t his forte.

Funnily enough, agree on a Warnock type appointment. Surley that kind of manager would be able to organise this current crop better than Hodgson did……who yesterday gave, I think, probably the most disgraceful post-match / resignation press conference I have ever seen. The arrogance of the man was jaw dropping. BBC’s Pat Murphy was close to him during his time at WBA, and tweeted yesterday about Woy’s ‘nasty side’.

248 posts