Best/Worst Pundit

562 posts
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Best/Worst Pundit

by genome » 21 Aug 2017 15:09

Surprised Marcos Alonso wasn't sent off yesterday for his celebr8ions whilst already booked

Jim Royal

by Jim Royal » 21 Aug 2017 15:15

genome Surprised Marcos Alonso wasn't sent off yesterday for his celebr8ions whilst already booked

I was thinking that for a minute but then realised it certainly was excessive enough to warrant a card.

FWIW I'm not a fan of that booking rule as it happens. Such killjoy from the FA on that one.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 21 Aug 2017 15:38

Certain things shouldn't be allowed, like displaying messages on t-shirts, or jumping into the crowd, but I've long thought a yellow for taking your shirt off when you score is a little harsh, it's not like it is indecent.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 21 Aug 2017 15:59

My conspiracy-theory-nut mate thinks it's because of shirt sponsors. He says when a player scores, the cameras are focused on them, and if they take off their shirt they are depriving the sponsors of valuable screen time.

Jim Royal

by Jim Royal » 21 Aug 2017 16:02

Sanguine Certain things shouldn't be allowed, like displaying messages on t-shirts, or jumping into the crowd, but I've long thought a yellow for taking your shirt off when you score is a little harsh, it's not like it is indecent.

Perhaps. But it would be fairly harsh on Monaco if they change the law on taking shirts off. Why should they be the only one's punished? :wink:

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 21 Aug 2017 16:03

Always thought it was to do with sponsorship and taking your shirt off when you've just scored means the tv cameras won't see the logos.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 21 Aug 2017 22:56

Sanguine Certain things shouldn't be allowed, like displaying messages on t-shirts, or jumping into the crowd, but I've long thought a yellow for taking your shirt off when you score is a little harsh, it's not like it is indecent.

It's about delaying the game - running into the crowd gets a booking for the same reason.

Maybe refs should just restart the game after a set period of time. If the other team aren't ready, or don't have their shirts on, that's their problem.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 22 Aug 2017 14:58

tmesis

It's about delaying the game - running into the crowd gets a booking for the same reason.

Maybe refs should just restart the game after a set period of time. If the other team aren't ready, or don't have their shirts on, that's their problem.

I thought it all stemmed from when Diego Forlan scored and couldn't get his shirt back on and ended up diving into a tackle topless? (circa 2001?)

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 25 Aug 2017 20:15

Fcuk me, Lee Hendrie looks like Robbie Williams after 40 years of meth amphetamine abuse.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 26 Aug 2017 10:19

tmesis

The obvious thing really is to have the ball in play for a set period of time - probably 30 mins each half.

That would eliminate all time wasting and what is a major irritation and blight on the game.

It'll come one day.

PS The ball should not be considered "in play" while it is in the goalkeeper's hands...

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Aug 2017 13:06

That won't prevent time wasting, it will just mean it will allow teams to make a game more and more stop start if they think it's to their advantage.

Football is a fluid game and that'll just ruin the flow of a game.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 26 Aug 2017 17:01

Jamie Redknapp is the tittiest of tits!

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 26 Aug 2017 21:11

Just a new name to add because he's an utter c#nt and that's Joey Barton. Just such a wxnker. Sh+t pundit that thinks he knows everything.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 26 Aug 2017 21:38

Hoop Blah That won't prevent time wasting, it will just mean it will allow teams to make a game more and more stop start if they think it's to their advantage.

I don't understand. Time wasting would no longer exist. How would having 30 mins fixed play time have a negative impact on the flow of a game?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 26 Aug 2017 23:29

Hoop Blah That won't prevent time wasting, it will just mean it will allow teams to make a game more and more stop start if they think it's to their advantage.

You can just instruct refs to dish out yellow cards for "time wasting" just as they do now, if someone looks to be delaying the game deliberately.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 27 Aug 2017 21:09

Shearer's reaction Sterling's red card highlighted everything that is wrong with pundits in this country - "the rules say the ref has to do X in this situation, but they are wrong, and should do Y instead"

By all means argue that the rule should be changed, but don't moan when refs apply the laws as they stand.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 27 Aug 2017 21:19

What's the wording of the rule? Technically he didn't go into the crowd did he, didn't even get as far as the advertising boards. The fans were the ones encroaching. Or does it come under 'inciting' the fans.
ALOL at the steward claiming he was assaulted by Aguero somehow forgetting that there were loads of TV cameras there.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 06 Sep 2017 10:14

Motty to retire at the end of the season.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 06 Sep 2017 10:52

genome Motty to retire at the end of the season.

Hallelujah

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 06 Sep 2017 13:01

Best pundits and commentators from down the years

Jimmy Armfield
Alan Hansen
Jimmy Hill
Peter Jones
Barry Davies
Alan Green