Best/Worst Pundit

562 posts
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Best/Worst Pundit

by From Despair To Where? » 04 Dec 2017 03:57

Peter Drury, the man who hits fever pitch over a throw in. Such whining verbosity.

Awful, awful commentator.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 04 Dec 2017 04:05

This guy?

Looks like a d1ck

His twitter name is @Football_Poet

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 04 Dec 2017 04:21

..and reading his Twitter feed only makes me hate him more. I mean, who tweets their own over-egged twattery? It's narcissistic bellendery of the highest order.

@Football_Poet?
@TediousFuckingTwat more like.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 04 Dec 2017 10:59

Agreed on Drury, for some reason people seem to think he's great, but I can't stand his voice.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 04 Dec 2017 15:03

leon
From Despair To Where?
LUX probably true, but for my generation his voice will always reson8. Ditto David Coleman, Brian Moore, Bill Mclaren, Richie Benaud etc.

When you think about it, who needs comment8ors on telly?

I always thought Brian Moore was fcuking shite. Apart from his head looking uncannily like London Planetarium, his commentating style appeared to be spout bollocks in an authoritative tone.

Arguably our finest moment at the time, Adie Williams rises to head a last minute winner to secure our highest ever league position and, evoking the spirit, gravitas and timing of Kenneth Wolstenholme, Brain Moore exclaims "There's madcats on the pitch, aren't they stupid, but this wasn't stupid....."

+1 for the lack of Brian Moore love. Him and Motson are/were utterly overrated. Moore always seemed to crow about the big teams. Never liked him.

I think our generation only got Moore as his skillz dwindled rapidly. Although tbf my main dislike of his commentary comes from him not being able the read the numbers on the back of our shirts in the mid 90s. Wouldn't have taken that much preparation to have looked at what the players looked like in a few games before trying to commentate on them.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 04 Dec 2017 15:17

genome Agreed on Drury, for some reason people seem to think he's great, but I can't stand his voice.

Is he the main guy on BT Sport? If so, yeah, he can oxf*rd off.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 04 Dec 2017 15:25

genome Agreed on Drury, for some reason people seem to think he's great, but I can't stand his voice.

Was on Five Live pre-TV and was decent. Not so much now.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 04 Dec 2017 16:47

6ft Kerplunk
leon
From Despair To Where?
I always thought Brian Moore was fcuking shite. Apart from his head looking uncannily like London Planetarium, his commentating style appeared to be spout bollocks in an authoritative tone.

Arguably our finest moment at the time, Adie Williams rises to head a last minute winner to secure our highest ever league position and, evoking the spirit, gravitas and timing of Kenneth Wolstenholme, Brain Moore exclaims "There's madcats on the pitch, aren't they stupid, but this wasn't stupid....."

+1 for the lack of Brian Moore love. Him and Motson are/were utterly overrated. Moore always seemed to crow about the big teams. Never liked him.

I think our generation only got Moore as his skillz dwindled rapidly. Although tbf my main dislike of his commentary comes from him not being able the read the numbers on the back of our shirts in the mid 90s. Wouldn't have taken that much preparation to have looked at what the players looked like in a few games before trying to commentate on them.

I remember Moore in the 70's and 80's and he was shit then. I know he was the lead LWT commentator but he used to w@nk himself sideways over some very mundane Arsenal sides. Speaking of which , I spotted the video of their title clinching win at Anfield in my local Tesco the other day. I really can't see them selling many copies round here. It's why I can't stand Tyldesley either. No matter the occasion he just can't subdue the Man Utd fanboy that lives inside him. Even playing FIFA, I have to mute Tyldesley.

I think too many commentators are looking for their Wolstenholme moment and too many of the grand statements seem too prepared, too forced and too verbose. It kind of misses the point. Wolstenholme kept it simple and purely described what he saw. He started in radio and that's the key, I think radio commentators tend to be much better and it's because they are eyes of the audience. Keep it simple, to the point, say what you see and no time for bullshit.

I liked Barry Davies and Tony Gubba but they came from the good old BBC tradition of "well guys, you're off to the Olympics. You're doing shooting on Monday, Table Tennis on Tuesday, Three Day Eventing on Wednesday, the modern pentathlon on Thursday and the Hockey on Friday".

I also liked Dan Maskell who let the action speak for itself and of modern commentators, Tony Romo who adds genuine insight and you come away with a better understanding of the game. The nearest we had in our football was probably Graham Taylor.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 05 Dec 2017 09:50

From Despair To Where? It's why I can't stand Tyldesley either. No matter the occasion he just can't subdue the Man Utd fanboy that lives inside him. Even playing FIFA, I have to mute Tyldesley.

I swear Tyldesley used to play a game with himself where he would see how soon into a game he could mention Man U - it was the only way to explain how he could deem it appropriate, often within the first minute of any game he happened to be watching. I heard him talking on the radio about a decade ago and he of course admitted that he used to be a Man U fan (how could he not?), but that his son is a Reading fan and so they are the only team he goes to watch nowadays.

I say "nowadays", this was a long time ago now I suppose. Never spotted him myself.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 05 Dec 2017 19:57

Pundits on Sky's Soccer Special currently not knowing/understanding the offside rule. Easy work if you can get it.

Marino13

by Marino13 » 06 Dec 2017 09:20

6ft Kerplunk Pundits on Sky's Soccer Special currently not knowing/understanding the offside rule. Easy work if you can get it.

it's who you know not what you know.
pundits aside - why do you think kirsty gallagher and hayley mcqueen work for sky....
i wonder who their dads are.........also wasn't tim dellors dad in broadcasting?
we moan about diversity in everything, isn't it time this culture of who you know stops?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 06 Dec 2017 09:23

But neither of them played for Liverpool?

Marino13

by Marino13 » 06 Dec 2017 09:29

Silver Fox But neither of them played for Liverpool?

errr, well, yes, thanks for pointing out the
obvious. have you been on the tennents super this morning?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 06 Dec 2017 09:39

Sorry, for some reason I must have got you confused with someone else who's obsessed with former Liverpool players

So anyway, explain your point.Who's Natalie Sawyer's dad? Who's Jacqui Beltrao's dad? Who's Charlotte Jackson's dad? Who's Vicky Gomersall's dad?

Marino13

by Marino13 » 06 Dec 2017 12:15

Silver Fox Sorry, for some reason I must have got you confused with someone else who's obsessed with former Liverpool players

So anyway, explain your point.Who's Natalie Sawyer's dad? Who's Jacqui Beltrao's dad? Who's Charlotte Jackson's dad? Who's Vicky Gomersall's dad?

what the hell has liverpool got to do with owt?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 06 Dec 2017 23:36

So Hayley McQueen got a job in broadcasting because of her dad and it had nothing to do with her degree in Broadcasting Journalism?

Marino13

by Marino13 » 07 Dec 2017 09:44

From Despair To Where? So Hayley McQueen got a job in broadcasting because of her dad and it had nothing to do with her degree in Broadcasting Journalism?

how many other people have a degree in broadcasting journalism
that haven't got a job on sky? c'mon man, you're not that naive are
you?

i like her as it goes, Hayley is hawt!

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 07 Dec 2017 10:53

Marino13
From Despair To Where? So Hayley McQueen got a job in broadcasting because of her dad and it had nothing to do with her degree in Broadcasting Journalism?

how many other people have a degree in broadcasting journalism
that haven't got a job on sky?

The actual question you should be asking is how many pundits are (non ex footballers) on sky who don't have degrees in Broadcast Journalism or similar?

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 15 Dec 2017 21:01

Hendo

Is he the main guy on BT Sport? If so, yeah, he can oxf*rd off.

BTs main guy is Darren Fletcher.....he was great on Five Live (pre him doing any TV).....but has disappeared up his own arse since joining BT. Massively believes his own hype and doesn’t seem to realise that football is played by two teams on the pitch, rather than by who is ‘better’ pre-match. When the ‘lesser’ team scores he nearly explodes with shock that they are allowed to do that!

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 18 Dec 2017 13:02

Dean Saunders on the radio - hopeless and clueless. Much like his tenure at Wolves

562 posts