More possible FIFA fiddling to ruin the game

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: More possible FIFA fiddling to ruin the game

by BR0B0T » 21 Jun 2017 14:52

Scutterbucketz The main reason why a lit of the rules won't happen, especially the 60 minute thing, is because they won't translate easily to amateur football and below.

I think FIFA only come up with shit like this just so it look s like they are thinking about the further of football beyond milking it for every penny it's worth.

football betting also goes a little wonky (time decay models etc)

How does it affect TV coverage...if the pcunts can jam a quick ad in they will

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 21 Jun 2017 15:00

Games that already have extended breaks for serious injuries suggest they won't (although if ITV had some live games I wouldn't put it past them)

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Jun 2017 16:24

Silver Fox How many minutes of football do you currently see?

Latest stats I can find quickly is for 2010-11. Time in play varied a lot ranging from 3 games with 44 mins of playing time up to 2 with 66.

Most games had around 54-57 mins of actual playing time.

http://www.soccermetrics.net/team-perfo ... n-football

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Jun 2017 08:34

Stranded
Silver Fox How many minutes of football do you currently see?

Latest stats I can find quickly is for 2010-11. Time in play varied a lot ranging from 3 games with 44 mins of playing time up to 2 with 66.

Most games had around 54-57 mins of actual playing time.

http://www.soccermetrics.net/team-perfo ... n-football

OK, so let's look at this afresh then.

If the average game played today has 60 actual minutes of football (that is where the ball is being kicked about by a bunch of overpaid (mainly foreign) johnnies :P ) then how actually will it be changed?

The game still has to take place, there still will be a load of ball out of play, players falling over, injuries, refereeing stoppages, crowd not giving ball back, ball out of stadium and all that stuff.

I presume that under this 60 minute amendment the clock would automatically be stopped every time the ball leaves play or ref blows his whistle so, for example, instead of ball going out of play for a throw in and it taking 10 seconds for a player to throw it back while the clock carries on counting down the clock would be stopped as soon as the ball crosses the touchline and not restart until the player actually throws it back in.

Ergo, the supporter still ends up watching something happening for roughly 90-100 minutes in two roughly 45-50 minutes halves) only they would be guaranteed to see 60 minutes of actual play (and slightly longer if the ref also can't end the game until the ball goes out of play that final time).

TV wise, they can't break away for adverts etc. as they would still run the risk of missing action as they do today.

How available and how affordable is the technology to be able accurately implement it though? If it ever got the go ahead I would expect, in this country, that clubs in the top four divisions should be able to easily implement it (but then I would also have said that all teams in the top four divisions should have goaline technology, but it's not affordable so they don't) as having it implemented for just this competition or that division is nonsense.

Be good to see up to date quantifiable stats run across the divisions specifically to ascertain the average "ball in play time".

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 22 Jun 2017 09:07

Silver Fox Surely the only times the game will be stop-start are the same as now? Except we won't lose playing time when they occur? Personally I think it's an idea fraught with problems but "the game will become American Football" or even worse "the game will become plastic" aren't really 2 of them

I just think it would open up the potential for more lengthy stoppages as teams realise they can take longer over these things and not lose actual playing time. You'll get more and more special team like set pieces and before long they'll introduce extended stoppages for ad breaks or roll-on roll-off subs (which has been introduced to park football of late). It's not so much about it being Americanised but just slowed down and the rhythm and flow of the game interrupted.

I can't see the point to most of these proposals to be honest.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 22 Jun 2017 14:41

Keep it the same if nothing else, but ideally I'd call for the opposite of this trend.

Go back to the tolerance of like 25 years ago when you could break someone's leg and only get a yellow.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Jul 2017 13:37

Hoop Blah
Silver Fox Surely the only times the game will be stop-start are the same as now? Except we won't lose playing time when they occur? Personally I think it's an idea fraught with problems but "the game will become American Football" or even worse "the game will become plastic" aren't really 2 of them

I just think it would open up the potential for more lengthy stoppages as teams realise they can take longer over these things and not lose actual playing time. You'll get more and more special team like set pieces and before long they'll introduce extended stoppages for ad breaks or roll-on roll-off subs (which has been introduced to park football of late). It's not so much about it being Americanised but just slowed down and the rhythm and flow of the game interrupted.

I can't see the point to most of these proposals to be honest.

Those aren't arguments against these changes, they're arguments against different changes that haven't been proposed.

There is still an insentive to restart quickly to take advantage of opposition disorganisation and mainatining pressure and momentum. There's less pressure to take a quick one because of lack of time leading to shit efforts, and no insentive to take ages to eat up the clock.

I don't see a problem with special set pieces, they're often interesting and entertaining.

I can't see a scenario where a televisor can dictate when play restarts.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 24 Jul 2017 20:30

Ian Royal I can't see a scenario where a televisor can dictate when play restarts.

Even in American football, tv doesn't tell them to stop for adverts. There are just specific moments such as after points have been scored, the ball turned over, or timeouts, where they go to commercials. They do have stoppage two minutes before the end of each half, which does seem to be there purely for adverts though.

It could quite easily be avoided in football by just telling referees to issue yellow cards for delaying the game too much, just as they do now.

I do like the idea of having a separate official in change of timekeeping though. If the clock was public (even if not shown in the stadium, just for tv/radio) it'd also end all the "the ref added on too much/not enough time" moaning.