1732 posts
Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

Re: VAR

by Jack Celliers » 29 Mar 2018 21:31

tmesis
Sanguine
Hoop Blah
Do you think it was a clear and obvious error though?

I'm not sure it was a pen myself, partly because I'm biased of course, but to me the forward was already going down because he knew he'd lost the ball and it was more a coming together than a foul.

If it was the other way around then I may well feel differently, but I just don't see how it was a clear and obvious error which, so we're told, is all that VAR is supposed to cover.

I think it was, to be honest. Yes, there was a hint of the striker going down a little early, but contact was inevitable, and occurred, and as far as I recall no England player touched the ball. I think the lack of protest on England's part said a lot.

It's weird that so many now just accept that contact = foul, despite there being nothing in the rules to say that's true.

They are now going to have to release well-publicised guidance on what does and does not constitute a foul, and the game will be worse for it, and a little bit boring. Previously we had a game we were all fairly happy with where we knew that 80% of the red cards and penalties on any edition of Match of the Day would be supported by one or two out of Gary L and his two experts but disagreed with by one or two of them. That is how it should be. Stonewall penalties and obvious red cards are actually quite rare.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 05 Apr 2018 13:03

Big VAR call in the Milan Derby last night, that finished 0-0

Inter score, huge celebrations. Wait a minute, I think his right arm might have been offside. It was, but talk about killing the moment. The celebration of a goal is the best moment in a football match. Best think twice before celebrating these days.

Aren't we going to see more goals disallowed under VAR than awarded? You can chalk off a goal that later proves to be offside, but what about when the referee blows his whistle when a player is flagged incorrectly offside? You cant resume play and give him the chance to score that he's just been denied?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 05 Apr 2018 13:36

Tony Le Mesmer Big VAR call in the Milan Derby last night, that finished 0-0

Inter score, huge celebrations. Wait a minute, I think his right arm might have been offside. It was, but talk about killing the moment. The celebration of a goal is the best moment in a football match. Best think twice before celebrating these days.

Aren't we going to see more goals disallowed under VAR than awarded? You can chalk off a goal that later proves to be offside, but what about when the referee blows his whistle when a player is flagged incorrectly offside? You cant resume play and give him the chance to score that he's just been denied?

Didn't see the incident, but as far as I am aware you can't score with your arm, therefore goal should've stood? :?

VAROFL.

double d

by double d » 05 Apr 2018 13:37

Made worse by the fact the same player then missed 2 open goals to draw the game.

They should just give up with var.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 05 Apr 2018 15:13

Tony Le Mesmer Big VAR call in the Milan Derby last night, that finished 0-0

I think we'll see more and more benefit of doubt given to the attacking team being onside, a bit like the way umpires have altered the way they make lbw calls post-DRS in cricket.

That might not sound too bad but ultimately we'll end up seeing more VAR reviews as a result and a higher percentage of goals then disallowed. It might not be that bad but it'll disrupt the flow of a game, the way teams defend and I'm not sure it'll be for the good.

As an aside, the amount of time it took for one of the reviews the other day (the England game I think it was) was more than it took Mane to score a hatrick against Southampton!

Hendo Didn't see the incident, but as far as I am aware you can't score with your arm, therefore goal should've stood? :?

VAROFL.

I was going to say the same. I'm guessing there was more than just an arm though as they surely can't have made such an obvious error (unless they've changed the law that is!).

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Apr 2018 09:27

Two gaming changing stonewall penalties not given in the PL yesterday (including a blatant red card) that surely would have been corrected by VAR.

double d

by double d » 08 Apr 2018 10:31

Why is var so hard but goal decision system works every time?! I'm apoplectic

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 08 Apr 2018 13:56

Snowflake Royal Two gaming changing stonewall penalties not given in the PL yesterday (including a blatant red card) that surely would have been corrected by VAR.

which ones?

double d

by double d » 08 Apr 2018 14:28

BR0B0T
Snowflake Royal Two gaming changing stonewall penalties not given in the PL yesterday (including a blatant red card) that surely would have been corrected by VAR.

which ones?

Leicester and man city I assume?

Leicester was deffo a penalty. I have no idea how that was not given.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 08 Apr 2018 14:29

double d
BR0B0T

which ones?

Which Man City one...watched the game but didn't see anything

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Apr 2018 14:33

BR0B0T
double d
BR0B0T
which ones?

Er, the one where Young (I think) jumped off the floor dangerously through the ball into Aguero's leg and could have broken it. Nailed on red card anywhere on the pitch. Dangerous, reckless and no control.

I presume this was some sort of joke I'm just not getting.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 08 Apr 2018 15:15

Snowflake Royal
BR0B0T
double d

Er, the one where Young (I think) jumped off the floor dangerously through the ball into Aguero's leg and could have broken it. Nailed on red card anywhere on the pitch. Dangerous, reckless and no control.

good tackle...won the ball

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 08 Apr 2018 17:04

BR0B0T
Snowflake Royal
BR0B0T

Hilarious.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 08 Apr 2018 17:33

Snowflake Royal
BR0B0T
Snowflake Royal

Hilarious.

8)

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Apr 2018 07:00

BR0B0T Which Man City one...watched the game but didn't see anything

Hi Kes

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 09 Apr 2018 08:29

Hoop Blah
BR0B0T Which Man City one...watched the game but didn't see anything

Hi Kes

was fully prepared to go the 'full kesmo' and post this...

fwiw I like totes expected the ref to point to the spot

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 13 Apr 2018 15:02

Happy days, no VAR in the Premier League next season

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Apr 2018 15:14

Silver Fox Happy days, no VAR in the Premier League next season

Can't say I'm surprised after the reception it's had during the FA Cup trials.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 13 Apr 2018 15:16

Exactly, they're going to keep testing it but it's the correct decision to not use the system as it stands

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 13 Apr 2018 15:52

Nice. Presumably not in the Championship either?

1732 posts