VAR

1728 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: VAR

by Hoop Blah » 13 Apr 2018 15:58

genome Nice. Presumably not in the Championship either?

I don't think it's been suggested that the Championship uses it yet has it?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Apr 2018 09:13

Yep needs better implementation and clearer guidance to everyone on how it is used.

Still needs pursuing and eventual roll out.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 16 Apr 2018 10:09

Snowflake Royal Yep needs better implementation and clearer guidance to everyone on how it is used.

Do agree on both of these, but I'll be giving short shrift to complaints from Premier League sides about refereeing mistakes next season. Lots of debate for example following the Manchester derby about Young's challenge on Aguero. No point rejecting VAR and complaining when referees miss the odd tackle or two.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 16 Apr 2018 16:52

Sanguine
Snowflake Royal Yep needs better implementation and clearer guidance to everyone on how it is used.

Do agree on both of these, but I'll be giving short shrift to complaints from Premier League sides about refereeing mistakes next season. Lots of debate for example following the Manchester derby about Young's challenge on Aguero. No point rejecting VAR and complaining when referees miss the odd tackle or two.

gr8 old skool tackle

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Apr 2018 18:01

BR0B0T
Sanguine

gr8 old skool tackle

I'll tell you one thing for sure Brobot, that gag doesn't get any less funny with repeated airings. One could almost say it's timeless.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 16 Apr 2018 18:11

Snowflake Royal
BR0B0T
Sanguine

gr8 old skool tackle

I'll tell you one thing for sure Brobot, that gag doesn't get any less funny with repeated airings. One could almost say it's timeless.

wtf would you know about funny?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Apr 2018 18:31

BR0B0T
Snowflake Royal
BR0B0T
gr8 old skool tackle

People laugh at me all the time.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 16 Apr 2018 19:40

Snowflake Royal
BR0B0T
Snowflake Royal I'll tell you one thing for sure Brobot, that gag doesn't get any less funny with repeated airings. One could almost say it's timeless.

People laugh at me all the time.

:wink: I was just being a dick for my own amusement

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 16 Apr 2018 22:01

Half-time during Mainz vs Freiburg. Ref blows the whistle, players go back to their dressing rooms. Ref then consults VAR for a handball in the last action of the half. He then decides to give a penalty, calls the players back out, the penalty is scored and the players go back down the tunnel :lol:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Apr 2018 07:14

genome Half-time during Mainz vs Freiburg. Ref blows the whistle, players go back to their dressing rooms. Ref then consults VAR for a handball in the last action of the half. He then decides to give a penalty, calls the players back out, the penalty is scored and the players go back down the tunnel :lol:

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 20 Apr 2018 20:41

genome Half-time during Mainz vs Freiburg. Ref blows the whistle, players go back to their dressing rooms. Ref then consults VAR for a handball in the last action of the half. He then decides to give a penalty, calls the players back out, the penalty is scored and the players go back down the tunnel :lol:

They really need to give up on this, they really do

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 22 Apr 2018 17:14

Perfect opportunity for VAR to prove its worth in the Chelsea vs Soton match, and they don’t bother using it :|

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 22 Apr 2018 19:12

One thing I would like to see happen with VAR is referees not blow the whistle for offside unless it's a clear decision. If the player goes on to score, VAR could sort it out.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 23 Apr 2018 06:27

tmesis One thing I would like to see happen with VAR is referees not blow the whistle for offside unless it's a clear decision. If the player goes on to score, VAR could sort it out.

I think that’s already started during the pilot. My issue with it is that it’ll lead to more disallowed goals which will dilute the moment of celebration more (over time, not right now) and will end up with a chunk of play being as good as irrelevant.

Also, if you let such decisions go you’ll end up with corners or possession in dangerous areas that lead to pressure, goals, injuries, red cards, suspensions etc when the play should’ve been stopped at the point the defending side correctly caught their opposition offside (marginal or not). At what point do you review the offside, and how far do you go back?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 23 Apr 2018 18:14

Hoop Blah
tmesis One thing I would like to see happen with VAR is referees not blow the whistle for offside unless it's a clear decision. If the player goes on to score, VAR could sort it out.

I think that’s already started during the pilot. My issue with it is that it’ll lead to more disallowed goals which will dilute the moment of celebration more (over time, not right now) and will end up with a chunk of play being as good as irrelevant.

Also, if you let such decisions go you’ll end up with corners or possession in dangerous areas that lead to pressure, goals, injuries, red cards, suspensions etc when the play should’ve been stopped at the point the defending side correctly caught their opposition offside (marginal or not). At what point do you review the offside, and how far do you go back?

I think you'd have to sort of go with just moves in the box where a shot is imminent, not just any marginal call.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 23 Apr 2018 19:43

tmesis
Hoop Blah

I think you'd have to sort of go with just moves in the box where a shot is imminent, not just any marginal call.

How would the official know if a side were about to create a shot as opposed to spooning it out for a goal kick or deflecting off for a corner in the split second they have to decide to put the flag up or not?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 23 Apr 2018 20:26

Hoop Blah
tmesis
Hoop Blah

How would the official know if a side were about to create a shot as opposed to spooning it out for a goal kick or deflecting off for a corner in the split second they have to decide to put the flag up or not?

Why would they have to know? They'd only have to spot the potential.

They could also raise their flag. The ref just wouldn't automatically whistle.

In short, they could truly give the attacking side the benefit of the doubt in decisions, without having to worry about be slated for getting it wrong.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 24 Apr 2018 09:16

tmesis Why would they have to know? They'd only have to spot the potential.

In short, they could truly give the attacking side the benefit of the doubt in decisions, without having to worry about be slated for getting it wrong.

Then you'd have to go back and review those decisions before awarding a corner or goal kick wouldn't you? Or are you saying you're happy to just artificially adjust the course of the game to cover for the rare occasion the officials get it wrong?

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 24 Apr 2018 18:01

Hoop Blah
tmesis Why would they have to know? They'd only have to spot the potential.

Then you'd have to go back and review those decisions before awarding a corner or goal kick wouldn't you?

Not necessarily.

Linesman are supposed to give the benefit of any doubt to to attacking side, but they clearly don't.

If they think someone is definitely offside then they could still flag. If it's marginal, and it doesn't result in a goal, the ref and linesman can just agree on a decision afterwards, as they could if the scoring chance is gone.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 22 May 2018 17:21

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... owing-var/

Good example of VAR working well, in the MLS - referee finds Michael Petrasso and Zlatan on the floor clutching various parts of their anatomy after a coming together, reviews the video and sees Zlatan slap his opponent in the face, earning a red card.

1728 posts