Penalty Shoot Outs

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Penalty Shoot Outs

by Sutekh » 01 Aug 2017 07:53

From the Chronicle....

ENGLISH Football League (EFL) bosses today announced it will trial the 'ABBA' penalty kick system in some of its competitions.

The new system will see teams take two penalties in a row, instead of the traditional one-at-a-time format.

In simple terms, 'Team A' takes one penalty, 'Team B' takes two and then 'Team A' takes two.

The new system has been backed by FIFA and will be trialled in Carabao Cup, Checkatrade Trophy and Sky Bet play-offs matches this season.

Shaun Harvey, EFL Chief Executive said: “We welcome innovation at the EFL and I am pleased to see that the EFL is able to play its part in an important development for football.

IFAB have identified a theory that the current arrangements for penalty kicks potentially provide an unfair advantage to the team taking the first kick so we are keen to see if the new system has an impact on one of the most discussed issues in football.

“We all want football matches to be decided in a fair and consistent manner and I am sure the new system will add an interesting dynamic to the conclusion of matches in our competitions if required.”

The first round of Carabao Cup games begin on August 8 and 9.

Fans could be treated to the new system at Madejski Stadium if Royals' clash with Gillingham goes to a penalty shootout.

Just so utterly :roll:

And what about the theory that the current system provides an unfair advantage to the team taking the second kick....?

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Penalty Shoot Outs

by BR0B0T » 01 Aug 2017 08:34

Sutekh From the Chronicle....

ENGLISH Football League (EFL) bosses today announced it will trial the 'ABBA' penalty kick system in some of its competitions.

The new system will see teams take two penalties in a row, instead of the traditional one-at-a-time format.

In simple terms, 'Team A' takes one penalty, 'Team B' takes two and then 'Team A' takes two.

The new system has been backed by FIFA and will be trialled in Carabao Cup, Checkatrade Trophy and Sky Bet play-offs matches this season.

Shaun Harvey, EFL Chief Executive said: “We welcome innovation at the EFL and I am pleased to see that the EFL is able to play its part in an important development for football.

IFAB have identified a theory that the current arrangements for penalty kicks potentially provide an unfair advantage to the team taking the first kick so we are keen to see if the new system has an impact on one of the most discussed issues in football.

“We all want football matches to be decided in a fair and consistent manner and I am sure the new system will add an interesting dynamic to the conclusion of matches in our competitions if required.”

The first round of Carabao Cup games begin on August 8 and 9.

Fans could be treated to the new system at Madejski Stadium if Royals' clash with Gillingham goes to a penalty shootout.

Just so utterly :roll:

And what about the theory that the current system provides an unfair advantage to the team taking the second kick....?

I'm assuming you've run the numbers on this to reach your conclusion

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 01 Aug 2017 09:53

Bizarre. A solution to something I didn't think was a problem.

For one, isn't there a coin toss? Don't some teams elect to take second?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 01 Aug 2017 14:37

One thing it does do, which might make a difference, is that the team going first won't have the first go in sudden death

I don't think I've got any issue with this change, mainly because I'm not one for the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mantra

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 01 Aug 2017 16:16

They've been trialling this recently haven't they, can't remember which tournament it was in. It was fine other than I'd been flicking channels so missed the bit between end of extra time and being of penalties where they probably explained it so was a bit wtf when a team took two in a row.

Which makes most difference, taking them first or taking them at the end your fans are in?

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 01 Aug 2017 16:44

Round 1 - A then B
Round 2 - B then A
Round 3 - A then B
Round 4 - B then A
Round 5 - A then B

So you still end up with team B taking the 10th penalty, as they do in the current format.

Silver Fox One thing it does do, which might make a difference, is that the team going first won't have the first go in sudden death

Round 6 - B then A
^This seems to be the main difference with the revised format.

CountryRoyal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by CountryRoyal » 02 Aug 2017 09:49

Award for the most unnecessary innovation goes to the EFL.

Seriously, if it's not broken don't fix it.

Jim Royal

by Jim Royal » 02 Aug 2017 10:13

Why don't they bring on the old MLS style penalties where players don't take a spot kick, they run the ball from the midway point of the half and they can either shoot from distance, or try to round the keeper etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxhAg9BIPO8

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 02 Aug 2017 10:35

Because it's shit.

MLS did that to decide league games that were level after 90 minutes, mainly because in the 90's, American sports fans unlearned in the ways of Association Football were incapable of understanding the concept of a draw.

It's a bit like penalty shootouts in the group stage of the Checkacrowd Trophy.

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1