5337 posts
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Weekend Football

by genome » 12 Mar 2018 13:24

Vision
genome
Vision
Well there's a territorial aspect to the move that a lot of the fans didn't like. They'll say the move was made slightly more palatable by promises from the owners that it would take them to the "Next Level". In fact their net spend is among the lowest in the league although obviously wages are a higher indicator it certainly isn't apparent that they (owners) are using the move to take the club to the upper reaches of the league. I mean why anyone would believe a word the likes of Gold/Sullivan/Brady say is beyond me anyway but from the outside looking in it doesn't look like there's been any significant increase in investment despite having a shiny new stadium fall into their laps.

But I guess the fundamental issue is that the roots of the club have been dug up and moved to a stadium which is wholly unsuitable for football in general and this club in particular. Something the fans warned about but Brady/Gold/Sullivan just saw the £ signs and completely misjudged their existing fanbase (despite Gold being a lifelong fan).

Yeah, that makes sense. I was always surprised more of a fuss wasn't kicked up by the fans before they left Upton Park.

I do wonder what the reaction of Spurs fans would have been if Levy had his way and this was Tottenham's ground instead.

If the chips were down, much the same I think. Although Spurs have much more existing quality in the squad to use the stadium as a platform, it's still not a football stadium by any stretch. Big bullet dodged for them IMO.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 12 Mar 2018 13:54

Possibly a stay of execution for Dan Micciche at MK Dons with a postponement this weekend. They host Bury this coming Saturday: anything other than a win and you feel that Micciche has to go.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 12 Mar 2018 15:06

genome I thought it was bad at West Ham, until I saw this at PAOK

This is, unbelievably, the President of PAOK Salonika. :shock:

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 12 Mar 2018 15:11

tbh that's how I've felt after a few* of our results recently

*all

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Mar 2018 15:24

I want Ron Gourlay on the pitch after our next home game with a steaming hot chicken balti pie in a holster threatening the boo boys.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 13 Mar 2018 16:49

Barnet v Port Vale tonight: judgement day for the winning side you feel

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 14 Mar 2018 08:34

Luton lost top spot at the weekend for the first time in nearly 4 months, after drawing again last night they remain 2nd and now Accrington have a 1 point lead over them with a game in hand

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 14 Mar 2018 08:36

Winston Biscuit Luton lost top spot at the weekend for the first time in nearly 4 months, after drawing again last night they remain 2nd and now Accrington have a 1 point lead over them with a game in hand

Would bloody love Accrington to come up, cracking story.

double d

by double d » 14 Mar 2018 08:50

Would be a good trip there next season that.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 14 Mar 2018 12:06

I take it you've never been to Accrington. Whilst I have a great deal if time for Stanley, the town is a nondescript northern satellite town. Think Thatcham with flat caps.

To paraphrase Stealers Wheel:

Blackburn to the left of me
Burnley to the right
Here I am,
Stuck in the middle of poo.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 14 Mar 2018 14:19

From Despair To Where? I take it you've never been to Accrington. Whilst I have a great deal if time for Stanley, the town is a nondescript northern satellite town. Think Thatcham with flat caps.

To paraphrase Stealers Wheel:

Blackburn to the left of me
Burnley to the right
Here I am,
Stuck in the middle of poo.

I went a few years back with a mate who was a Tranmere fan. It was shit.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 15 Mar 2018 14:03

Satellite isn't quite the word, is it? Its one of a chain of small towns that scatter off eastwards from Preston towards the sunnier uplands of Yorkshire. Your Nelsons, your Darwens, your Clitheroes and your Colnes. Burnley and Blackburn are merely less backward versions. Nelson was named after a pub, sure, but its still a dump.

My mate got married in Whalley, and I caught the Ribble Valley line all the way through back to Manchester.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 16 Mar 2018 13:13

stealthpapes Satellite isn't quite the word, is it? Its one of a chain of small towns that scatter off eastwards from Preston towards the sunnier uplands of Yorkshire. Your Nelsons, your Darwens, your Clitheroes and your Colnes. Burnley and Blackburn are merely less backward versions. Nelson was named after a pub, sure, but its still a dump.

My mate got married in Whalley, and I caught the Ribble Valley line all the way through back to Manchester.

Bit unfair to call it a dump m8. Some very picturesque areas that way.

Oh and also Burnley Football Club are the greatest team in England - what a truly superb side.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 17 Mar 2018 08:27

stealthpapes Satellite isn't quite the word, is it? Its one of a chain of small towns that scatter off eastwards from Preston towards the sunnier uplands of Yorkshire. Your Nelsons, your Darwens, your Clitheroes and your Colnes. Burnley and Blackburn are merely less backward versions. Nelson was named after a pub, sure, but its still a dump.

A satellite town or satellite city is a concept in urban planning that refers essentially to smaller metropolitan areas which are located somewhat near to, but are mostly independent of larger metropolitan areas.

Characteristics
Satellite cities are small or medium-sized cities near a large metropolis, that:

predate the metropolis' suburban expansion
are at least partially independent from that metropolis economically and socially
are physically separated from the metropolis by rural territory or by a major geographic barrier such as a large river; satellite cities should have their own independent urbanized area, or equivalent

It would appear to be the very definition of a satellite town.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 18 Mar 2018 16:39

Old Man Andrews
Winston Biscuit Luton lost top spot at the weekend for the first time in nearly 4 months, after drawing again last night they remain 2nd and now Accrington have a 1 point lead over them with a game in hand

Accrington get a lot of love because people think they were founding members of the league, even though they weren't.

There's no link at all (other than being based in the same town) between Accrington FC, who were founder members of the league, and Accrington Stanley, who folded in 1963.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Mar 2018 18:51

tmesis
Old Man Andrews

Accrington get a lot of love because people think they were founding members of the league, even though they weren't.

There's no link at all (other than being based in the same town) between Accrington FC, who were founder members of the league, and Accrington Stanley, who folded in 1963.

No they get a lot of love because they are a tiny club punching above their weight. No idea what you are going on about.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 18 Mar 2018 19:09

Old Man Andrews
tmesis
Old Man Andrews

No they get a lot of love because they are a tiny club punching above their weight. No idea what you are going on about.

The "history" angle. Football fans are weirdly nostalgic, and they love seeing old clubs with history doing well.

Few would be hailing it a great story if Crawley were on the brink of going up. Few loved seeing Stevenage get to League One. Dagenham & Redbridge's promotion wasn't seen as a great story of a small club punching above its weight.

Stanley also have an evocative name, which helps. There's far more to the story than you suggest.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 18 Mar 2018 19:12

People love an underdog. I think that is pretty much it tbh.

double d

by double d » 18 Mar 2018 19:38

Same with burton

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Mar 2018 19:52

Really hope that they can avoid the inevitable

5337 posts