Weekend Football

5702 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: Weekend Football

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Mar 2018 10:14

Stranded
Sanguine West Ham should play their next match behind closed doors. A fine simply won't cut it.

Should allow away fans in - always feel it is an unfair punishment to bar away fans too. Though as it's Soton, they may see it as a blessing in disguise.

Can you imagine the hundreds of angry West Ham supporters outside the stadium not allowing the away fans in though? Could be a riot. Not sure the police would even entertain that idea on safety grounds. I agree with you in principal though.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Mar 2018 10:30

I thought it was bad at West Ham, until I saw this at PAOK

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 12 Mar 2018 10:31

I know people are still bitter about Pardew for some reason and West Ham fans are generally horrible right wing cockney twats. But considering people on the team board are complaining about our club being killed simply because we're having a dump season you'd think there'd be more sympathy for a group of fans whose club is slowly being destroyed by their owners simply to line their own pockets.

having said all that, the bloke with the corner flag was an absolute chump!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Mar 2018 10:35

Old Man Andrews
Stranded
Sanguine West Ham should play their next match behind closed doors. A fine simply won't cut it.

Should allow away fans in - always feel it is an unfair punishment to bar away fans too. Though as it's Soton, they may see it as a blessing in disguise.

Can you imagine the hundreds of angry West Ham supporters outside the stadium not allowing the away fans in though? Could be a riot. Not sure the police would even entertain that idea on safety grounds. I agree with you in principal though.

Way and means. Could be bused in and out I guess and dropped/picked up at the gates.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 12 Mar 2018 11:22

John Smith (20th) Grimsby v Port Vale (22nd) tomorrow

Grimsby's new manager has his first game in charge - does that, coupled with home advantage make them favourites for this huge encounter?

Well I think this was always going to be the game of the weekend - nothing between them in the end but plenty of animosity between the fans. Some great footage doing the rounds on social media of a few scraps inside and outside of the ground.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 12 Mar 2018 11:53

The Whammers on KUMB suggest they are very much up for more of the same at the next home game

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 12 Mar 2018 12:33

Winston Biscuit The Whammers on KUMB suggest they are very much up for more of the same at the next home game

I'm sure I read over the weekend that there were something like 15 separate West Ham supporters groups and that one faction had a demonstration planned outside the stadium cancelled by the club via Newham Council.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Mar 2018 12:39

John Smith

Grimsby's new manager has his first game in charge - does that, coupled with home advantage make them favourites for this huge encounter?

Well I think this was always going to be the game of the weekend - nothing between them in the end but plenty of animosity between the fans. Some great footage doing the rounds on social media of a few scraps inside and outside of the ground.

Not sure what it is with Port Vale, always seems to be a scrap there. See loads of vids of home fans trying to get in the away end there over the years.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 12 Mar 2018 12:40

Old Man Andrews
John Smith

Not sure what it is with Port Vale, always seems to be a scrap there. See loads of vids of home fans trying to get in the away end there over the years.

This was at Grimsby, but yes, they do seem to have a bit of a naughty following.

OldManAndrews, do you tend to wear designer gear and a cap to away games?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Mar 2018 12:43

Vision
Winston Biscuit The Whammers on KUMB suggest they are very much up for more of the same at the next home game

I'm sure I read over the weekend that there were something like 15 separate West Ham supporters groups and that one faction had a demonstration planned outside the stadium cancelled by the club via Newham Council.

I'll admit, I'm not clued up about their plight but it did seem like a overreaction.

Haven't the owners backed the manager fairly well in the transfer market? Is this all just to do with the stadium?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 12 Mar 2018 12:45

John Smith
Old Man Andrews
John Smith Well I think this was always going to be the game of the weekend - nothing between them in the end but plenty of animosity between the fans. Some great footage doing the rounds on social media of a few scraps inside and outside of the ground.

This was at Grimsby, but yes, they do seem to have a bit of a naughty following.

OldManAndrews, do you tend to wear designer gear and a cap to away games?

I don't think I have ever worn a cap in a social setting in my entire life.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 12 Mar 2018 12:51

Vision

15 different supporters groups, factions taking different approaches? it's like Syria all over again, but with added lolz

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 12 Mar 2018 13:06

genome
Vision

I'll admit, I'm not clued up about their plight but it did seem like a overreaction.

Haven't the owners backed the manager fairly well in the transfer market? Is this all just to do with the stadium?

Well there's a territorial aspect to the move that a lot of the fans didn't like. They'll say the move was made slightly more palatable by promises from the owners that it would take them to the "Next Level". In fact their net spend is among the lowest in the league although obviously wages are a higher indicator it certainly isn't apparent that they (owners) are using the move to take the club to the upper reaches of the league. I mean why anyone would believe a word the likes of Gold/Sullivan/Brady say is beyond me anyway but from the outside looking in it doesn't look like there's been any significant increase in investment despite having a shiny new stadium fall into their laps.

But I guess the fundamental issue is that the roots of the club have been dug up and moved to a stadium which is wholly unsuitable for football in general and this club in particular. Something the fans warned about but Brady/Gold/Sullivan just saw the £ signs and completely misjudged their existing fanbase (despite Gold being a lifelong fan).

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 12 Mar 2018 13:08

Vision
genome
Vision

Well there's a territorial aspect to the move that a lot of the fans didn't like. They'll say the move was made slightly more palatable by promises from the owners that it would take them to the "Next Level". In fact their net spend is among the lowest in the league although obviously wages are a higher indicator it certainly isn't apparent that they (owners) are using the move to take the club to the upper reaches of the league. I mean why anyone would believe a word the likes of Gold/Sullivan/Brady say is beyond me anyway but from the outside looking in it doesn't look like there's been any significant increase in investment despite having a shiny new stadium fall into their laps.

But I guess the fundamental issue is that the roots of the club have been dug up and moved to a stadium which is wholly unsuitable for football in general and this club in particular. Something the fans warned about but Brady/Gold/Sullivan just saw the £ signs and completely misjudged their existing fanbase (despite Gold being a lifelong fan).

when will people realise that winning is not everything to those that attend football matches. A sense of community and identity are more important imo

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 12 Mar 2018 13:09

Winston Biscuit
Vision

15 different supporters groups, factions taking different approaches? it's like Syria all over again, but with added lolz

Complete with Left Wing / Right Wing political allignments too.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 12 Mar 2018 13:12

Vision
genome
Vision

Yeah, that makes sense. I was always surprised more of a fuss wasn't kicked up by the fans before they left Upton Park.

double d

by double d » 12 Mar 2018 13:13

Winston Biscuit
Vision
genome

when will people realise that winning is not everything to those that attend football matches. A sense of community and identity are more important imo

Thats the problem when business men/women own football clubs. They just see it as a business and strip away all identity. I mean you could see it coming a mile off.

And karen brady? Give me a break! What does she know about football? Pfff nothing. She probably doesn't even know the manager david moyes name. She should stick to what she knows.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 12 Mar 2018 13:17

Are you being ironic, DD?

Not to say she won't get things wrong, and her appointments at both Birmingham and West Ham owe much to David Sullivan, but having been involved in the game for 25 years, I'd venture she knows a little bit about football.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 12 Mar 2018 13:18

genome
Vision
genome

Yeah, that makes sense. I was always surprised more of a fuss wasn't kicked up by the fans before they left Upton Park.

I do wonder what the reaction of Spurs fans would have been if Levy had his way and this was Tottenham's ground instead.

double d

by double d » 12 Mar 2018 13:19

Sanguine Are you being ironic, DD?

Not to say she won't get things wrong, and her appointments at both Birmingham and West Ham owe much to David Sullivan, but having been involved in the game for 25 years, I'd venture she knows a little bit about football.

Bad irony. She probably knows more then the other 2.

But you always see it at teams. Blackpool, pompey, reading etc

5702 posts