Weekend Football

5336 posts
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Weekend Football

by sandman » 27 Jan 2019 10:27

BR0B0T How did you lads get on today?

:lol: :lol:

Although as tribute acts go a kes one seems a little tragic.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 27 Jan 2019 10:46

John Madejski's Wallet Lovely to see West Ham go out

And I must be the only person to think that wasn't the blatant handball from Cooper that the commentators reckon it was. Don't think he really moved his arm towards the ball, I actually think his arm moves after the ball has hit him

I'm in two minds. He obviously can't get his arm out the way, but he does see it coming and seems to angle his arm slightly to ensure the rebound goes in on the slowmo... which in fairness is obviously deceptive.

Almost impossible call for the ref to make even with VAR based on the letter of the law...

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 27 Jan 2019 10:57

Sutekh I see we get chelsea reserves v Sheff we’d on tv today. Why, exactly? We already get every ManU cup game on tv irrespective of how irrelevant the game is so are Chelsea about to join that collective?

Wolves’ trip to Shrewsbury would have been a better game to have.

Also they obviously don’t give a tuppenny about the away supporters. 6pm on a Sunday!

Tbf, this season I haven’t had a problem with Man Utd being on TV in the cup. Meant a lot of us could see the Reading game and the Arsenal game on Friday was excellent.

But overall I tend to agree. Viewing figures obviously play a massive part.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 27 Jan 2019 18:43

VAR getting it right in the Chelsea game, but surely Sheff Wed should get a corner following the overturned pen, rather than a drop ball?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 27 Jan 2019 20:12

Pepe the Horseman VAR getting it right in the Chelsea game, but surely Sheff Wed should get a corner following the overturned pen, rather than a drop ball?

Absolutely.
Similarly in the Palace game Kevin Friend didn't book the Palace player for tackling from behind when waiting for VAR to establish whether the player was fouled outside the box.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 28 Jan 2019 10:00

LOLz @ VAR not being used in every game, that's just stupid. But even more LOLz at VAR not being used for the penalty Brighton should have had against West Brom, what's the point?

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 28 Jan 2019 10:43

Victor Meldrew
Pepe the Horseman VAR getting it right in the Chelsea game, but surely Sheff Wed should get a corner following the overturned pen, rather than a drop ball?

Absolutely.

Because the referee blew the whistle for the penalty, before the ball had gone out of play. The wrong decision was controlling the restart of a drop ball. It should have been a contested drop ball as opposed to uncontested.

Victor Meldrew Similarly in the Palace game Kevin Friend didn't book the Palace player for tackling from behind when waiting for VAR to establish whether the player was fouled outside the box.

I haven't seen the challenge, but a tackle from behind isn't necessarily a YC, and sometimes isn't a foul.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 28 Jan 2019 10:45

Silver Fox LOLz @ VAR not being used in every game, that's just stupid. But even more LOLz at VAR not being used for the penalty Brighton should have had against West Brom, what's the point?

Some of the grounds don't have the ability to have VAR there.

It shouldn't be used at any game, if it can't be used at all IMO.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 28 Jan 2019 10:47

Hendo
Sutekh I see we get chelsea reserves v Sheff we’d on tv today. Why, exactly? We already get every ManU cup game on tv irrespective of how irrelevant the game is so are Chelsea about to join that collective?

Wolves’ trip to Shrewsbury would have been a better game to have.

Also they obviously don’t give a tuppenny about the away supporters. 6pm on a Sunday!

Tbf, this season I haven’t had a problem with Man Utd being on TV in the cup. Meant a lot of us could see the Reading game and the Arsenal game on Friday was excellent.

But overall I tend to agree. Viewing figures obviously play a massive part.

United Arsenal is a no brainer, yes.

That said, the only game I'd have swapped for Chelsea is Shrews Wolves, the M54 derby. Just be glad they gave the city game a swerve.

Although as tribute acts go a kes one seems a little tragic.

Side-show LOL @ Wet Sham

Absolutely wonderful. Your classic FA cup giant killing. Bit of history. Ludicrously named stand (The Chemflow End). At least one ball in the Thames. Some good goals. Some abject defending from West Ham. Gr8 evening's entertainment.
Last edited by stealthpapes on 28 Jan 2019 10:48, edited 2 times in total.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 28 Jan 2019 10:47

My thoughts exactly

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 28 Jan 2019 11:06

LWJ
Victor Meldrew

Absolutely.

Because the referee blew the whistle for the penalty, before the ball had gone out of play. The wrong decision was controlling the restart of a drop ball. It should have been a contested drop ball as opposed to uncontested.

I get that, but Wednesday have still been fcuked over by the ref getting the decision wrong. If he doesn't give a pen in the first place, they get a corner. Instead they don't get anything and a minute later Chelsea get a pen of their own.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 28 Jan 2019 11:23

Exact wording of the Drop Ball rule

The referee drops the ball at the position where it was when play was stopped, unless play was stopped inside the goal area in which case the ball is dropped on the goal area line which is parallel to the goal line at the point nearest to where the ball was when play was stopped.

The ball is in play when it touches the ground.

Any number of players may contest a dropped ball (including the goalkeepers); the referee cannot decide who may contest a dropped ball or its outcome.

there is a seam of entertainment that teams are missing here.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Jan 2019 11:31

Pepe the Horseman
LWJ
Victor Meldrew
Absolutely.

I get that, but Wednesday have still been fcuked over by the ref getting the decision wrong. If he doesn't give a pen in the first place, they get a corner. Instead they don't get anything and a minute later Chelsea get a pen of their own.

One reason why that won't work. Ampadu makes the tackle from another angle, pen given and reversed. As the whistle was blown, the Chelsea keeper ignores the ball and it rolls into an unguarded net. Do Wednesday get awarded a goal?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 28 Jan 2019 11:51

Stranded
Pepe the Horseman
LWJ

One reason why that won't work. Ampadu makes the tackle from another angle, pen given and reversed. As the whistle was blown, the Chelsea keeper ignores the ball and it rolls into an unguarded net. Do Wednesday get awarded a goal?

Yes.
:wink:
Fair point. Is it going to get to the point where the refs are better off not giving any big decisions, and just wait till VAR get involved?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Jan 2019 14:33

stealthpapes Exact wording of the Drop Ball rule

The referee drops the ball at the position where it was when play was stopped, unless play was stopped inside the goal area in which case the ball is dropped on the goal area line which is parallel to the goal line at the point nearest to where the ball was when play was stopped.

The ball is in play when it touches the ground.

Any number of players may contest a dropped ball (including the goalkeepers); the referee cannot decide who may contest a dropped ball or its outcome.

there is a seam of entertainment that teams are missing here.

That would be amazing, all 22 players contesting a drop-ball :lol:

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 28 Jan 2019 15:18

2 would be exciting enough!

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 28 Jan 2019 21:40

Great cup tie going on at Barnet.

3-3 with just over 10 minutes to go. Barnet made it 2-1, only for Brentford to be given a dodgy penalty and then score another to make it 2-3.

2 minutes later, superb free-kick from Barnet player to make it 3-3.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 28 Jan 2019 23:46

Hendo Great cup tie going on at Barnet.

3-3 with just over 10 minutes to go. Barnet made it 2-1, only for Brentford to be given a dodgy penalty and then score another to make it 2-3.

One of the great cup ties. Barnet did a cracking job and I'd have loved them to have won. Brentford's penalty was a shocking decision. I don't blame the ref as it would have looked like a certain pen from his angle but the assistant had a perfect view and yet said nothing to the ref, shameful.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Jan 2019 10:01

Old Man Andrews
Hendo Great cup tie going on at Barnet.

One of the great cup ties. Barnet did a cracking job and I'd have loved them to have won. Brentford's penalty was a shocking decision. I don't blame the ref as it would have looked like a certain pen from his angle but the assistant had a perfect view and yet said nothing to the ref, shameful.

Unless the assistant thought there was contact on the other side of the player but surprised he didn't at least want to consult.

Again shows the craziness of only having VAR at some game and not others in this competition especially when the game is live on TV.

Brentford may well count themselves unlucky overall having hit the post 3 times too. Cracking game of football though - replay likely to be a dull 1-0 as a result.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 29 Jan 2019 14:19

When Notts County fans said they wanted Hardy out, that is not what they meant.

5336 posts