Republic of Ireland

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

Republic of Ireland

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Oct 2017 07:54

Hogan, Maguire and O'Brien all called up for a potential first cap but again no Kelly.

Baffling to me at this point. What does he have to do? Grow?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Republic of Ireland

by Hoop Blah » 04 Oct 2017 11:12

NewCorkSeth Hogan, Maguire and O'Brien all called up for a potential first cap but again no Kelly.

Play in a different position perhaps?

Aren't they all forwards?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Oct 2017 11:17

Hoop Blah
NewCorkSeth Hogan, Maguire and O'Brien all called up for a potential first cap but again no Kelly.

Play in a different position perhaps?

Aren't they all forwards?

Apologies. I mention them to show that they are willing to give places to uncapped players.
They called up a crocked James McCarthy ahead of Kelly. That struck me as odd.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 04 Oct 2017 11:20

give us the players in his position that he would have to displace to get a call up?

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Oct 2017 11:42

Winston Biscuit give us the players in his position that he would have to displace to get a call up?

In my opinion?
The aforementioned McCarthy, Hoolahan, O'Kane and Whelan.

Obviously when fit McCarthy needs to be there and Hendrick, Meyler and Arter are ahead of him but he's next in line surely.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 04 Oct 2017 12:07

So there's at least another 7 players vying for his position?

Of those 7 players, I'd say McCarthy, Meyler, Arter and Hendrick are ahead of him, Hoolihan is possibly ahead of him and he's on par with O'Kane.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Oct 2017 12:42

From Despair To Where? So there's at least another 7 players vying for his position?

Of those 7 players, I'd say McCarthy, Meyler, Arter and Hendrick are ahead of him, Hoolihan is possibly ahead of him and he's on par with O'Kane.

Personally, despite how under-rated Hoolahan was, he's 35 and not going to add much to the future of the team. If we are to some how qualify he's not going to be on the plane (Same goes for John O'Shea and Daryl Murphy)

Players like Liam Kelly and Declan Rice need to start getting called up to the full squad to get used to the international scene.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Oct 2017 12:57

NewCorkSeth
From Despair To Where? So there's at least another 7 players vying for his position?

Personally, despite how under-rated Hoolahan was, he's 35 and not going to add much to the future of the team. If we are to some how qualify he's not going to be on the plane (Same goes for John O'Shea and Daryl Murphy)

Players like Liam Kelly and Declan Rice need to start getting called up to the full squad to get used to the international scene.

Surely this week is a week for experienced heads and a bit of know-how.

Once they've qualified, or not, it's probably a better time to start building for the longer term future.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Oct 2017 13:03

Hoop Blah
NewCorkSeth

Surely this week is a week for experienced heads and a bit of know-how.

Once they've qualified, or not, it's probably a better time to start building for the longer term future.

A very fair point but to include an injured player who is unlikely to play ahead of a young, talented, up and coming footballer who could still make an impact off the bench or offer something in training is madness.
I don't think Kelly should be starting or anything but it's strange he's not included.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 04 Oct 2017 15:12

The Irish team really is devoid of any real talent at the moment

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 04 Oct 2017 15:24

BR0B0T The Irish team really is devoid of any real talent at the moment

Been downhill ever since Gary Breen retired

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Oct 2017 17:59

HeinzGuderian Kelly has done nothing to prove himself yet.

Getting the ball in acres of space and passing it 5 yards without taking any risks is hardly groundbreaking midfield play.

It's the way Stam plays him though I suppose.

Same as Winks eh..

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Oct 2017 18:04

John Smith
BR0B0T The Irish team really is devoid of any real talent at the moment

Been downhill ever since Gary Breen retired

I would argue that Coleman, McCarthy, Hendrick, Brady and Long have talent enough to break into a good few European national sides. Of course I'm biased.

Its funny looking back at the talent we used to have at our disposal. I'd do anything for a team of Denis Irwins.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 04 Oct 2017 18:26

NewCorkSeth
Its funny looking back at the talent we used to have at our disposal. I'd do anything for a team of Denis Irwins.

xackly....used to have some decent players now it's mid level prem at best

Denis Irwin, Kevin Moran, Paul McGrath, Roy Keane, Andy Townsend, Ray Houghton, John Aldridge, Ronnie Whelan, Niall Quinn, Frank Stapleto, Duff, Shay Given etc

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 04 Oct 2017 18:34

BR0B0T
NewCorkSeth

xackly....used to have some decent players now it's mid level prem at best

Denis Irwin, Kevin Moran, Paul McGrath, Roy Keane, Andy Townsend, Ray Houghton, John Aldridge, Ronnie Whelan, Niall Quinn, Frank Stapleto, Duff, Shay Given etc

Liam Brady being the obvious omission there. A few of those are world class. I wonder what happened?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 05 Oct 2017 10:24

NewCorkSeth Liam Brady being the obvious omission there. A few of those are world class. I wonder what happened?

If most of those players were playing now they'd probably only be at mid-table Premier League sides. With all the Premier League money floating around our club sides have the pick of pretty much any player in world football so I don't think the likes of Moran, McGrath, Townsend, Houghton, Aldridge or Quinn would be playing for a top 4 side.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 05 Oct 2017 14:55

I remember back in 94, and to a lesser extent in 2002, when Ireland were everyone's 2nd team.

Not any more. Maybe Northern Ireland have taken that, possibly Wales even.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 05 Oct 2017 15:51

Does anyone really give a shit about anyone other than their own country until the finals? The latching on to the Oirish in '94 was pretty obvious with England's massive qualifail

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 05 Oct 2017 16:37

Those sides being peoples second side is probably in part due to the number of Englishmen playing in them!

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 05 Oct 2017 16:38

Hoop Blah
NewCorkSeth Liam Brady being the obvious omission there. A few of those are world class. I wonder what happened?

If most of those players were playing now they'd probably only be at mid-table Premier League sides. With all the Premier League money floating around our club sides have the pick of pretty much any player in world football so I don't think the likes of Moran, McGrath, Townsend, Houghton, Aldridge or Quinn would be playing for a top 4 side.

As good as Henderson, Livermore, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Theo Walcott, Jesse Lingard etc who are in the England squad

...McGrath was fcuking gr8 btw