Saturday Night Football

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Saturday Night Football

by Stranded » 17 Nov 2017 10:10

So been mentioned in the press today that the new PL TV deal will see an additional 42 games shown live making it 210 games live of the 380 played each season.

As part of the deal a new Saturday night time slot will be added, seeing games kicking off at prime time, probably 19.45. This raises 2 questions, is there really the demand for another slot, this means that on one weekend, there could be live games at:

Friday 20.00
Saturday 12.30, 17.30 and 19.45/20.00
Sunday 13.30, 16:00
Monday 20:00

Though would imagine the number of games live in one weekend would be capped at 5.

Second question - given the move to 210 games, is it just time for the PL to give up on Saturday 3pm games and show every game live? Have 5 fixed time slots over a weekend and just have 2 games live in each slot and scrap the 17.30 slot and leave that open for Championship games.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Saturday Night Football

by Sanguine » 17 Nov 2017 10:19

Stranded So been mentioned in the press today that the new PL TV deal will see an additional 42 games shown live making it 210 games live of the 380 played each season.

As part of the deal a new Saturday night time slot will be added, seeing games kicking off at prime time, probably 19.45. This raises 2 questions, is there really the demand for another slot, this means that on one weekend, there could be live games at:

Friday 20.00

Though would imagine the number of games live in one weekend would be capped at 5.

Second question - given the move to 210 games, is it just time for the PL to give up on Saturday 3pm games and show every game live? Have 5 fixed time slots over a weekend and just have 2 games live in each slot and scrap the 17.30 slot and leave that open for Championship games.

Yes, in short. There's been a thread in AE about TV subscriptions discussing similar - but I think this might be a next step in the move towards something similar to the NBA 'League Pass', where people can pay $30 a month, or whatever, and watch any game live.
For now this additional 42 games is likely only to dilute the value of TV subscriptions since, I'd be willing to wager, those games will end up on platforms other than Sky and BT.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 17 Nov 2017 10:52

Sanguine
Stranded So been mentioned in the press today that the new PL TV deal will see an additional 42 games shown live making it 210 games live of the 380 played each season.

Friday 20.00

Yes, in short. There's been a thread in AE about TV subscriptions discussing similar - but I think this might be a next step in the move towards something similar to the NBA 'League Pass', where people can pay $30 a month, or whatever, and watch any game live.
For now this additional 42 games is likely only to dilute the value of TV subscriptions since, I'd be willing to wager, those games will end up on platforms other than Sky and BT.

Yep talk is of Amazon or Netflix bidding for these. Wouldn't surprise me if DAZN use this package as a look to move into the UK market.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 17 Nov 2017 16:58

Sorry but it's all just so very ****

Can't wait for Reading to one day get back to the PL and have every league game kicking off a twat o'clock because some greedy suits say so.

Just waiting for Sky to spot nothing happens at 10am on Saturday or Sunday, then there'll be a "demand" for regular 8pm starts on a Sunday...

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 18 Nov 2017 10:12

Sutekh Sorry but it's all just so very ****

Can't wait for Reading to one day get back to the PL and have every league game kicking off a twat o'clock because some greedy suits say so.

Just waiting for Sky to spot nothing happens at 10am on Saturday or Sunday, then there'll be a "demand" for regular 8pm starts on a Sunday...
^

Pretty much this.

.....but it’s obviously what the public “want” and the game demands.

double d

by double d » 19 Nov 2017 15:39

Sanguine

Friday 20.00

I believe that this is the way forward (NBA/WWE pass type thing). 30 quid a month and access to every PL game.

Ofc BBC will still get MOTD and FA cup.

Although sky and bt will be a massive stumbling block being massive sponsers and all.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 19 Nov 2017 18:20

A further nail in the coffin of my ex-love of the prem.

One of the joys of football is following you result in the wider context of all the other results going on. With every team playing at different times, that's gone

And it makes me want us promoted even less..... just messes with your weekend plans

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 19 Nov 2017 18:26

Just wait until they start kicking off at 8am to cater for the Asian audience.

Marino13

by Marino13 » 23 Nov 2017 16:28

personally i think everyone should play on a saturday at 3pm.
and all cup games should be played on the same day too.

that way each team gets the same number of days preparation for each fixture,
for example, liverpool play chelsea at the weekend. liverpool played in spain on tuesday night.
chelsea played in azerbaijan last night. that's simply not making it a level playing field....fitness.tirendess
wise,

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 24 Nov 2017 11:15

Can't remember Chelsea fans complaining that their team kept getting extra rest last season.

Marino13

by Marino13 » 24 Nov 2017 11:44

6ft Kerplunk Can't remember Chelsea fans complaining that their team kept getting extra rest last season.

that was just an example because two teams are playing each other this weekend
who competed in the champs league in the week.
one plays tuesday in spain, one players wednesday much further away in azerbaijan

i think it certainly needs looking at.

off the top of my head too - i recall chelsea playing away at atletico on the wednesday and
manchester city were at home on the tuesday prior to their premier league game in
september.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 24 Nov 2017 12:19

Maybe that's why Chelsea stockpile so much young talent, meaning there squad has the strength to deal with such away days.

Except they forget this at the start of every season and send everyone out on loan?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Nov 2017 12:47

Marino13
6ft Kerplunk Can't remember Chelsea fans complaining that their team kept getting extra rest last season.

one plays tuesday in spain, one players wednesday much further away in azerbaijan

off the top of my head too - i recall chelsea playing away at atletico on the wednesday and
manchester city were at home on the tuesday prior to their premier league game in
september.

Go on then how would you change it when the two competition schedules are set at different times - PL has started before the CL groups are drawn? Personally I think it's a disgrace that Spurs have to play WBA tomorrow despite having to fly to Germany and back this week while WBA players got to sit on the sofa watching them play.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 24 Nov 2017 13:40

Marino13

september.

How far are you taking this all things must be equal thing? Do you want indoor stadiums so that all the weather conditions are exactly the same for all matches? Wouldn't be fair if Chelsea had to play in a blizzard in Stoke on a cold Wednesday January night when Liverpool might have played them on a glorious sunny Saturday afternoon in August. Should Newcastle* get some kind of weighting applied to their points tally cos they've travelled a few extra miles over the season.

*Stattos can tell me which team travels the furthest in a season if they wish.

Marino13

by Marino13 » 26 Nov 2017 12:38

Stranded
Marino13

september.

Go on then how would you change it when the two competition schedules are set at different times - PL has started before the CL groups are drawn? Personally I think it's a disgrace that Spurs have to play WBA tomorrow despite having to fly to Germany and back this week while WBA players got to sit on the sofa watching them play.

More flexibility with the fixtures. would have
made sense for chelsea to play on the tuesday night in baku or
move the liverpool fixture to sunday.
chelsea have played atletico away and quarbag away on the wednesday ahead of two top 6 v top 6 fixtures
where the opponents have had their games on the tuesday.

double d

by double d » 26 Nov 2017 13:53

Marino13
Stranded
Marino13

september.

chelsea have played atletico away and quarbag away on the wednesday ahead of two top 6 v top 6 fixtures

You seem to be defending Chelsea alot. Do you support them?

Marino13

by Marino13 » 26 Nov 2017 14:13

NOT ON YOUR NELLY.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Nov 2017 08:09

Marino13
Stranded
Marino13

september.

Well the 1st wouldn't happen as UEFA split the groups in half and that half always plays on the same night - Chelsea and Liverpool could have been in the same half but the draw didn't fall that way and UEFA aren't going to mess around their fixtures based on the odd game in England that may not be totally "fairly" scheduled.

I tend to agree there should be flexibility on when games are scheduled in the UK not just around European games but in general. Unfortunately the TV deal means that there are set timeslots and as this was a BT game, they have the 5.30 Saturday timeslot so the game had to go there and BT want one of their higher profile fixtures to be in their high profile timeslot. It's a catch 22 as the TV money is what allows English clubs to compete in Europe but with that you have to accept that fixtures may not always be played at the perfect time.

Marino13

by Marino13 » 27 Nov 2017 08:27

do the french FA not allow PSG to play on a Friday
evening ahead of UCL games?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 27 Nov 2017 08:30

Marino13 do the french FA not allow PSG to play on a Friday
evening ahead of UCL games?

Most leagues do - however, unlike most countries the Premier League is a separate entity to the FA so the FA has minimal power to shift games.